The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

6 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

My promotion paperwork has revealed a big freaking gap where people have been taking credit for my work or not giving me credit for my work. I hate this place.

That's crappy. You work for the most petty company.

I realized that I'm probably going to have to take my work laptop on vacation so I can apply to keep my job. Unless they post it sooner, which they hopefully will but they only have a week to do that.

I think its more that our organization is completely petty. It's such a big company that you get micro-cultures. I feel like the people closer to my age get it and are willing to collaborate. We've had some interesting meetings lately where I have asked questions that I think my peers are glad I asked but the more experienced folks were like no this is my dog bed and I'm going to pee on it so you know it's mine. Have fun sleeping in your own pee.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm pretty sure I am blowing up my career next week. Someone stood up for me for someone taking credit for my ideas, and the response is probably going to be taking away a leadership role from me that I've worked hard for. If they happens I am going to be moving fast on an exit strategy.

I'm so mad. I thought I was going to get my big break, and instead I'm pretty sure it's time to admit defeat and leave.

• 1 month later...

Too early or ?

I am a passive aggressive bitch and have added a Do Not Schedule block from 7-8 AM every school day. (I actually do this every school year, I had to start this in late 2020 because people got too used to me being available starting at 6 AM every day because it was summer and it was COVID and the puppy woke up crying at 5:30 every morning.) E gets on the bus at 8:05 (if they are actually on time) and Q has drop off no earlier than 8. Both kids attend school 10 miles apart so both of us have to be involved in pickup and drop-off. 

I probably need to add another block for school pickup on the days that I am in the office.

Time for my champagne problems...

Currently working on two different jobs. The first is a rewrite, and the company it is for is patently awful. I may have mentioned this before, but the CEO is the kind of guy who changes his mind about the direction of entire films because of whatever he watched over the weekend. The only time in my life I stopped my own pitch on a project was when this guy, halfway through my pitch decided that he wanted it to suddenly be a Christmas movie.

He's done this twice.

This company also has this plan where they buy scripts from non-union writers then hire a union writer to re-write them. Basically, the union sets minimums for everything. The minimum for buying a script off a writer is around $100k depending on the budget. A rewrite is $30k. A non union writer has no protection. So these guys snatch up scripts with decent concepts but bad scripts for $5-10k, then pay that $30k-ish to get a rewrite that functionally ends up being a fresh script.

I should have walked early on, but I am not at a point where I feel okay saying no to work. So I get into the process of doing a rewrite for these guys. After months of negotiation we get them a few notches above minimum, and they take 90 days to pay me when they should pay the day I sign. Anyway, the draft is in, and they should pay me the second half of the payment, but they will have notes, and they wont pay until the notes are done (this is a gray area the union is trying to fix). Also, they have terrible ideas and make movies based on trends as opposed to story.

The other job is something I should have said no to from the start. I should be doing no free work at all-- but to get jobs, you have to pitch, which requires some up front work. I landed a pitch for this movie that is to a semi well-known piece of IP, and if made, would be kind of high profile.

But, the producers are crazy indecisive. They liked my take, but wanted to develop it with me. I said yes, only because I had faith in the IP. But they will not commit to anything. After 3 different takes on the project they just can't pick a direction and keep wanting more and more tweaking and experimentation. My agents want me to bounce, and to be honest, it's taking up a lot of space in my brain and causing a lot of anxiety. Again, I don't want to pass on something that could blow up, but I don't see how it's possible.

I'm glad somebody is having champagne problems. I don't quite have the same thing, but I have some standing offers that would increase my pay substantially and I'm not sure if I wanna leave or not. I feel an obligation to bounce so I can provide for both my immediate family as well as my future self... but who wants to take on more stress?

I went and blew up my boss's boss's boss about my future. There's not a truly solid plan but my voice was heard and I got to see a look of terror on the guy's face that I was pissed and a flight risk if I didn't start getting some recognition for my work. The buffoon taking credit for my work is still operating the same. I suspect they're going to try to find me a separate path out of the buffoon's way because that's easier on them. But either way, I better get the title I have been gunning for for 18 years.

55 minutes ago, Tank said:

CAPITALISM IS A CULT

IT'S THE BEST CULT NOW BOW TO THOMAS SOWELL

35 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I went and blew up my boss's boss's boss about my future. There's not a truly solid plan but my voice was heard and I got to see a look of terror on the guy's face that I was pissed and a flight risk if I didn't start getting some recognition for my work. The buffoon taking credit for my work is still operating the same. I suspect they're going to try to find me a separate path out of the buffoon's way because that's easier on them. But either way, I better get the title I have been gunning for for 18 years.

Workers, especially skilled ones (and women especially) have a lot more power in this economy than even just 3 years ago. Use your power. 

2 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Too early or ?

Too late, actually. I'm a natural early riser, and with Katie's new job, I gotta be the one to pick the kids up while she takes them in. Fortunately this meeting turned out to actually be a weekly reminder, not an ACTUAL meeting, it just shows up as one.

Luckily I haven't seen any of the people-taking-credit-for-other's-work on my side so far, but I AM seeing a whole lot of dissatisfied and unhappy workers. People openly saying things like "I don't know how I've been working here so long" and "I probably should've quit a long time ago," (sometimes openly to their boss, who agreed, and said the same of themselves) and just constant talk of the inability of the company to hold on to anyone, at any level, in any type of position. Considering the first all hands meeting I was in, on one of my first days, started off with the CEO talking about how bad things have been and how desperately they need to turn things around, sometimes I wonder what I've gotten myself into lol. Been a lot of that talk the few months I've been here!

Definitely block off the time you are going to be out since you have to pick up the kids.

I think the pandemic has been hard on corporate America. Everyone everywhere is pretty unhappy. But we've had a few people leave for greener pastures and actually come back. And they were terrified that they might not be able to get back in. I think if you were one of lucky ones who job hopped and managed to up your salary significantly or improve work-life balance, you did good. But I can say at our company a lot of people are burned out because they cut too deep, there wasn't enough people to do the work, and they're tired of being blamed for it.

Well, nearly 2 months after interviewing and getting my new job, I am still at my old one.  I was supposed to start sooner than that but because my manager is the same for both locations, they keep moving the goal posts and I am still at the old job location because they want to wait until I am back filled before transferring me.   Next week, I actually have to go to a 3rd location that was never mentioned during the hiring process to cover for a week.  After that, I start a hybrid schedule where I am at my new job for 3 days, and old job for 2 days a week. In essence, they have me bouncing around covering other peoples' asses.   That is not what I signed up for.

5 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

That's really unfair. Are you in a position where you can call them on it? You don't have to be mean, but a simple reminder that you took the position because it would mean better work-life balance for you and its actually gotten worse because they're running you all over the place is totally fair, IMO.

Not really in a position to call them on it at all.  This is because my manager is the same for both locations and he has discretion to send me to these places.  Supposedly this is going to be sorted out by late September, but we will see.   I have said something politely, but I am told to be patient.    

I have low opinions of corporate america and job markets are changing so fast and people are getting used to a kind of hustle gig economy that it's all fractured everywhere. I know my second job just has old women who bitch endlessly now and pine for the old days of team building things and extras like pizza parties. I'm like screw that. Give me money or get the hell out of the business.

School on the other hand is just insanity all the time. Door alarms going off. Swiping to do almost everything. Parents freaking out. And me just trying to teach your kid to give change the correct way if the "Computer" is down.

Well, I turned that job offer down on Monday. They've wanted me since March and I kept turning them down. They insisted again that I reconsider. I thought about it more this week and did decide to move on. Of course, I went to tell my boss today and he didn't come in today. Guess he will find out on Tuesday. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.