The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

All right, so, I officially gave notice at my job. Last day is May 13th. My boss asked me to hold off talking about it for now, even though I already told my two teammates, but they won't rat me out. I'm a little jittery right now and I'm not sure why, but it FEELS SO FUCKING GOOD. Such a massive relief to finally be leaving this place. Not that it was all bad, of course, but this has been long overdue.

And for those of you that don't know (pretty much anyone who wasn't in the Zoom a month ago), the reason I'm quitting is thanks to the lovely Destiny Skywalker and her husband, I got a job at Boeing. I'm starting next month, and moving to the Seattle area a month-ish after once the kids are out of school. 

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

All right, so, I officially gave notice at my job. Last day is May 13th. My boss asked me to hold off talking about it for now, even though I already told my two teammates, but they won't rat me out. I'm a little jittery right now and I'm not sure why, but it FEELS SO FUCKING GOOD. Such a massive relief to finally be leaving this place. Not that it was all bad, of course, but this has been long overdue.

And for those of you that don't know (pretty much anyone who wasn't in the Zoom a month ago), the reason I'm quitting is thanks to the lovely Destiny Skywalker and her husband, I got a job at Boeing. I'm starting next month, and moving to the Seattle area a month-ish after once the kids are out of school. 

I was pretty sure this was the case. Congratulations!

On 4/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

Boeing is our biggest customer!   We mostly ship to st. Louis but sometimes to Seattle.  We have a Seattle facility as well!

Why is corporate America so hostile to working parents? In my industry, early birds are rewarded and everyone else is expected to just get in earlier. Our local on-site daycare is literally the only one in the area that opens at 5:30 AM to accomodate working parents and then manufacturing moved start times to 5 AM, and the daycare finally said screw it and refused to open any earlier.

So why am I complaining? Because last year when my kids went back in-person to school I added a 7-8 AM block to my calendar because Q leaves for school at 7:30 and E's bus gets here at 7:50. I didn't add it back because I felt it had been established that I am not available before 8 AM. In the last few weeks I have had numerous requests for 6:30 AM meetings and even a new regular recurring 5:30 AM meeting (because the meeting organizer is on the east coast, but he knows he has west coast people on the meeting). I am prime on a big project and the coordinator just sent the recurring meeting notice for 7:30-8:30 AM every Friday. I finally snapped, added the block back, and told the guy he needed to find a new time with everyone (and when I checked calendars, he could've easily moved it back to 8 AM). There is zero consideration for the fact that kids usually start school between 8 and 9 AM. (Our district has a much earlier start time than all the other districts in the area, so I was super happy about how early the kids were starting school.) We still act like its the 1950s in this country and that every household has a stay at home parent.

Your company sucks because they know they can treat people however they want - what are you going to do, leave? You've already talked about the difficulties with that.  Once they know they own you, they can do whatever they want, so who gives a shit about your life or your kids? Businesses only care about getting away with as much as possible.

3 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Why is corporate America so hostile to working parents? In my industry, early birds are rewarded and everyone else is expected to just get in earlier. Our local on-site daycare is literally the only one in the area that opens at 5:30 AM to accomodate working parents and then manufacturing moved start times to 5 AM, and the daycare finally said screw it and refused to open any earlier.

So why am I complaining? Because last year when my kids went back in-person to school I added a 7-8 AM block to my calendar because Q leaves for school at 7:30 and E's bus gets here at 7:50. I didn't add it back because I felt it had been established that I am not available before 8 AM. In the last few weeks I have had numerous requests for 6:30 AM meetings and even a new regular recurring 5:30 AM meeting (because the meeting organizer is on the east coast, but he knows he has west coast people on the meeting). I am prime on a big project and the coordinator just sent the recurring meeting notice for 7:30-8:30 AM every Friday. I finally snapped, added the block back, and told the guy he needed to find a new time with everyone (and when I checked calendars, he could've easily moved it back to 8 AM). There is zero consideration for the fact that kids usually start school between 8 and 9 AM. (Our district has a much earlier start time than all the other districts in the area, so I was super happy about how early the kids were starting school.) We still act like its the 1950s in this country and that every household has a stay at home parent.

There is definitely a double standard in society.  I can't take my kids to the bathroom in a restaurant without getting compliments of what an awesome dad I am.  When I take the boys to the zoo or they find out a coach soccer or whatever--it's crazy--I feel like I am the bell of the ball.  My wife gets upset because she doesn't get those same compliments.  I try to say society is actually sexist sexist against men because society has such low expectations for fathers...

I also know how sexist aerospace is in general.  The nice thing about education, especially being a male in education, is all I need to do is mention I have kids and people are bending over backwards to accommodate my schedule.   I don't even think females get the same level of support. 

17 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

There is definitely a double standard in society.  I can't take my kids to the bathroom in a restaurant without getting compliments of what an awesome dad I am.  When I take the boys to the zoo or they find out a coach soccer or whatever--it's crazy--I feel like I am the bell of the ball.  My wife gets upset because she doesn't get those same compliments.  I try to say society is actually sexist sexist against men because society has such low expectations for fathers...

I also know how sexist aerospace is in general.  The nice thing about education, especially being a male in education, is all I need to do is mention I have kids and people are bending over backwards to accommodate my schedule.   I don't even think females get the same level of support. 

The bigger the business, the less they care as well. My company is pretty small for our industry, and we’re also young, both new and having a Millenial CEO, and we bend over backwards to accommodate schedules. I start at 9 so I can get my kids to school while my wife babysits. My teammate starts at 6:30 so she can be done by 2:30 when her kids get home from school. We have to do creative scheduling sometimes because I f the disparity and getting everyone in a meeting with everything else, but it works because we want people to want to work for us.

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Your company sucks because they know they can treat people however they want - what are you going to do, leave? You've already talked about the difficulties with that.  Once they know they own you, they can do whatever they want, so who gives a shit about your life or your kids? Businesses only care about getting away with as much as possible.

Well, people have been leaving, so you would think they would learn their lesson. The issue is, I'm not sure where else in engineering I'm going to do much better. Engineering is still run by white Boomer males, unfortunately.

New meeting time is 10:30. Suck it, Boomers.

End User:  I don't know why that when I do this thing, it doesn't work.  Can you help me figure out how to do this thing correctly?

Me (after I research):  You are doing said thing incorrectly.  Here are the steps you need to do the thing right.

End User:  But I don't LIKE those steps.  I want to continue to do the thing my way.  Can you make my way of doing the thing work?

Me: .....

• 5 weeks later...

It has been a week. Last week some program manager dropped a hot potato in our lap and demanded someone travel to Europe for a week long meeting and be grilled on tough questions. I found the expert (who is not on my team) to go do it, got the ok from his manager, done deal. Yesterday, I got reamed out by the manager who has oversight of the program this is for because I didn't ask her opinion on the matter. She fully admits I made the right decision, but I didn't consult her. I told her from now on I will send the annoying program manager straight to her with all problems. I let my boss know what happened and it got an eyeroll and told me not to worry about control freak manager. Then today the issue blew up because of a data sharing issue that is holding up the deal, and we were told not to share. The manager made sure she let her boss know that I am not communicating properly even though that had nothing to do with the issue. I'm so done with this stuff. This manager has been trying to pull me onto her team so she can make me prioritize her work and this is exactly why I told my boss I didn't want to go. She would make my life a living hell and she would just take credit for all my work. I love what I do, I hate my job.

It's soooo funny that we actually like the parts of our jobs we dream about but then managers and bosses and ego maniacs and paper pushers come in. And bam the motivation is killed and you dream about getting your mortgage license and just working pushing papers and not doing much that helps society.

24 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Reading a training document using the word "peculiar" when they very obviously mean "particular" I CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS I QUIT

Part of my job has become auditing our training materials. Stuff like that is so common, but you would think the bigger the company the better it would be.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Reading a training document using the word "peculiar" when they very obviously mean "particular" I CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS I QUIT

Every time I type out a community communication I reread at least a dozen times.  I think, “maybe I should have someone else read it” and I think I’m good because I’ve reread it so many times.

once it goes out I reread and catch some small typo every single time right away.

like-how is this possible? I even reread it and take breaks to give myself fresh eyes.

The worst to me is when you find that typo months, or even years later. Like it’s just been out their existing all this time, and your dumbass never knew about it, because you’re so dumb you can’t add one plus one with both hands. That’s how I felt when I finished my book and my mom pointed out I got lay vs lie incorrect almost every time 

I know, right? Apparently HR doesn’t think it’s fair to just give it to us (myself and my three coworkers) so they’re going to make them do the whole thing. Even though there’s no way I’m not getting it. I just got special recognition from the company for my outstanding performance in this role. It was just my name being said in a meeting and $20 to Amazon, but there’s no way they’re doing that and then not hiring me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.