The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

Ugh our engineering culture is so so toxic. These old guys do everything they can to crush younger "competition" because that's how they see it. I just had a guy who is supposed to be a mentor claim he talked to me about something a few days ago in an attempt to make me look bad because he didn't follow through on what he said he would do. The reality is we discussed this less than 24 hours ago, and he is the one who still hasn't provided the data.

If I don't get this next promotion, I'm retiring in place.

• 3 weeks later...

I CAN'T WAIT to quit my job. Still a week and a half/two weeks to go before I can give notice, but I'm so looking forward to it. They don't have a clue and it's hilarious because they're giving me a hard time and changing procedures and all sorts of annoying stuff. I don't even care if they think it's BECAUSE of those things, I'm just so excited to see my boss's big dumb face on Zoom when I tell him.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I CAN'T WAIT to quit my job. Still a week and a half/two weeks to go before I can give notice, but I'm so looking forward to it. They don't have a clue and it's hilarious because they're giving me a hard time and changing procedures and all sorts of annoying stuff. I don't even care if they think it's BECAUSE of those things, I'm just so excited to see my boss's big dumb face on Zoom when I tell him.

Are you moving because of the job or are these just things that are happening at the same time?

Moving because I got a new job that starts next month. I don't wanna go into too many details yet (though a lot of people here already know) just because not everything is officially finalized, though it's all about to be. Even though no one here even knows what company I currently work for, or knows anybody I work with, and I trust you all anyway, it still feels a little uncouth to go into it when my employer doesn't know I'm leaving yet. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Moving because I got a new job that starts next month. I don't wanna go into too many details yet (though a lot of people here already know) just because not everything is officially finalized, though it's all about to be. Even though no one here even knows what company I currently work for, or knows anybody I work with, and I trust you all anyway, it still feels a little uncouth to go into it when my employer doesn't know I'm leaving yet. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do.

No need to share, just curious if they were connected since both happened. It’s also pretty easy to figure out where someone works, so I don’t blame you at all. At least if you know name, general location, and industry.

18 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Is your school K-6?

I'm guessing you had to call the cops? 

We are a K-5, but becoming a K-8 by adding a grade a year starting with 6th next year.  But he is a 4th grader. 

Yeah, we also do a threat assessment and police/ the local mental health hospital partner up to do a welfare check.

2 hours ago, Cerina said:

Can't imagine why you would be suspending him

I actually didn't suspend until I heard what he said while he was waiting for his mom to pick him up.  I sent him home because he was having a really rough day and was spiraling (including kicking me) and wanted him to go home before his behavior escalated even more and he would do something stupid that would hurt someone. 

That’s terrible, and has to be a nightmare situation. If nothing else, the amount of bureaucracy involved. But also something like that is going to be traumatic for anyone who cares about the children they’re educating.

It's the worst situation I think a teacher can find themselves in. When it just spirals and kids don't learn good coping skills. Classrooms are like a social filter and some kids feed off of this so pretty soon you either have other hysterical kids because they're not used to this type of acting out so they become scared or have anxiety and then there's others that will totally egg it on because they're the other side of the people spectrum. GOP rightests cry about us teaching emotions and how to cope and stuff early in kindergarten now making us "nambypamdy" cry baby kids but honestly it's better if they learn those coping skills early or it escalates to he's just threatening to actually happening. And this is just grammar school. Hopefully that kid gets the help he needs because by the time he's in high school it's going to be real bad.

Oh and now I will gripe about oak pollen and how it impacts my classroom. LOL My coping skills with my ongoing allergies has run out. I literally just cried in class like a scream howl because I have sinus drainage so bad and my throat can't handle even the slightest trickle so I cough and cough and cough into my mask and I am on the verge of laryngitis. I can only get two sentences out and  short ones at that before I start hacking and coughing. And I know oak pollen is affecting my students too. It's gotten to the point we're all just benadryl junkies with red itchy eyes trying to work through the math problems of life. DIE OAK POLLEN DIE. STOP HAVING SEX ALL OVER TEXAS FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD.

The kid had a 50 page IEP coming in and has been in a full behavior support facility since the first grade.  He has significant OCD and when it kicks in (and peer relationships is the trigger) it manifests itself as EXTREME opposition defiance disorder.  This is the first school where he has ever had friends and they were having conflict.  Since he has never had friends, he has never had to deal with friend conflict.  So his solution, just like boys with crushes on girls, was to harass them.  So me intervening (he was throwing kethup packets at them at lunch) triggered his ODD.

He came back today and I gave him a hug.   We are going to have a restorative circle this afternoon. 

I have 3 interviews this week. 

I'm still planning and starting the company, and it's going well. But it's a slow build and we need money now. So I'm looking for slightly lower-level positions that I'd normally be going for. I've applied to maybe 5 places so far and gotten 3 introductory interviews. 

The next interview is in 15 minutes. This one is the only one that would be an actual career change. It's still real estate, but it's for a private investment firm that does hard money real estate loans to people wanting to begin investing in real estate doing flips. The job ad also says they want someone with the 'skill/passion to create, implement and promote an exclusive educational curriculum focused on "life skills with a practical focus on real estate investment".' So this job is actually something I might be uniquely qualified for. 

Sounds awesome. Hopefully something works out quickly and allows you the flexibility to keep building your business.

I pissed off my team by volunteering for a project. Our manager was out of the office, but we were in a meeting with another team, the other team's manager, his boss, and his boss's boss. The big boss was talking about how we're going to get updates made to our claims system and wanted to know who had availability, and it was really aimed at management but I volunteered immediately to work on getting a wish list made of updates. The women on the team felt like I should have waited and let management assign it rather than asking for it. I totally consider myself an ally, I make sure that we don't miss their suggestions or comments in our meetings, but I'm not going to just sit back and not go for something I want, especially when I'm the lowest paid person on the team.  After I volunteered, they still had the opportunity to speak up but didn't. So I'm on the project and they aren't. I talked to my boss about it and he agrees that I made the right move, and he knows that the big boss was impressed. So they can be mad, but they'll have to get over it. 

21 hours ago, Cerina said:

I have 3 interviews this week. 

I'm still planning and starting the company, and it's going well. But it's a slow build and we need money now. So I'm looking for slightly lower-level positions that I'd normally be going for. I've applied to maybe 5 places so far and gotten 3 introductory interviews. 

The next interview is in 15 minutes. This one is the only one that would be an actual career change. It's still real estate, but it's for a private investment firm that does hard money real estate loans to people wanting to begin investing in real estate doing flips. The job ad also says they want someone with the 'skill/passion to create, implement and promote an exclusive educational curriculum focused on "life skills with a practical focus on real estate investment".' So this job is actually something I might be uniquely qualified for. 

How did it go?

4 hours ago, Hobbes said:

How did it go?

Really well! They asked me to come in today to meet the rest of the team. There are only 6 people in the company, and 2 of them are in Arizona. They really seem more concerned about making sure I fit in with the overall culture of the office than anything. They said I should hear from them tomorrow. So we'll see. 

On 4/20/2022 at 8:43 AM, Hobbes said:

The kid had a 50 page IEP coming in and has been in a full behavior support facility since the first grade.  He has significant OCD and when it kicks in (and peer relationships is the trigger) it manifests itself as EXTREME opposition defiance disorder.  This is the first school where he has ever had friends and they were having conflict.  Since he has never had friends, he has never had to deal with friend conflict.  So his solution, just like boys with crushes on girls, was to harass them.  So me intervening (he was throwing kethup packets at them at lunch) triggered his ODD.

He came back today and I gave him a hug.   We are going to have a restorative circle this afternoon. 

I hope everything went well for him upon his return. Poor kid. Thank you for not holding it against him. ODD is a bitch. I'm so glad we aren't in that situation, because I don't think they can even control it.

Louis has ODD, and it is horrible, especially combined with ADHD. Is he not doing the thing because of his ADHD, his ODD, or because he’s just being lazy and doesn’t want to? All are viable options, and you have to be really careful in reading the signs to figure out what you’re dealing with in each moment. 

15 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

You want opportunities and you need to jump on them when they ask for volunteers. You can't sit back and wait for it to be assigned. That's nuts. 

I’m glad that you and another female friend both told me the same thing. Almost word for word. There was a sliver of self-doubt. I also was able to talk it out with one of them, and we’re good. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.