The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Man I hate my boss.

This was a great position that I really enjoyed when I got promoted into it in 2018. Structural changes a year ago really fucked that up for me.

At least I'm still at home. Easier to deal with when I don't have to actually see his face on the regular.

A bad boss can ruin a job.

Looking back, every time I have left a job it was because of a bad boss. Ok, one time I left because I lost a really good boss who I stuck around in a job I didn't love because she was a great boss. But in all other cases its been because they were bullies or allowed bullying. And in every case, I'm pretty sure they knew I was leaving because of them, because it was usually soon after they tried to flex their power. The few I still have to interact with are pretty cautious around me now, because they know I won't take their crap, and that's powerful with a bully. When they know they can't get away with their antics, they have to treat you with more respect, even if they don't want to.

Money is a more powerful motivator when you know you are underpaid or your lifestyle is uncomfortable. I live in an expensive area, so they have to compensate me to be able to live here and be comfortable. I probably couldn't take my salary back to Florida (I tried, they balked). This insane real estate market is making it impossible to lowball people and its making employers nuts. People will just say no thanks, I'll stay where I can afford to live. Its almost easier to pay long-term employees less because if they have a mortgage, they can afford it and more money is just gravy. The new generation entering the workforce is in a position where they may be able to negotiate higher wages because they really can't afford to be underpaid.

My co-lead, who makes me nuts because he's passive aggressive and tries to give me all his undesirable work, is pushing for everyone to come back in the office because the mask mandate and social distancing is over. He's just so clueless. A few of our teammates are super nervous about mask mandates ending, if anything that is a good reason why they won't want to come in. For him, he's like oh good I finally don't have to wear a mask all day. In my case, he wants us to come in on Wednesdays, which is not a good day for me because that's the 1 day my husband comes in, and that leaves no one at home to put my son on the bus (his bus comes after he takes our daughter in to school).

I'm basically going to wait for management to come up with a new seating chart and tell me I need to come in x days a week. They are going to take work from home from my cold dead fingers. My manager hasn't said anything to us yet and works from home basically every day. So I think he gets it. But I would like to push for no more than 2.5 days in the office (my daughter has half day Fridays, so I would just pick her up at noon and go home).

Also, I am enjoying wearing hoodies and leggings every day. They will take my athleisure from my cold dead fingers, too.

47 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

bosses/management really doesn't get we'd rather just be left alone to work rather than meet constantly do they

Nope. Sometimes there’s value to meetings, but frequently a meeting can be handled as an email or a group chat.

39 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

My co-lead, who makes me nuts because he's passive aggressive and tries to give me all his undesirable work, is pushing for everyone to come back in the office because the mask mandate and social distancing is over. He's just so clueless. A few of our teammates are super nervous about mask mandates ending, if anything that is a good reason why they won't want to come in. For him, he's like oh good I finally don't have to wear a mask all day. In my case, he wants us to come in on Wednesdays, which is not a good day for me because that's the 1 day my husband comes in, and that leaves no one at home to put my son on the bus (his bus comes after he takes our daughter in to school).

I'm basically going to wait for management to come up with a new seating chart and tell me I need to come in x days a week. They are going to take work from home from my cold dead fingers. My manager hasn't said anything to us yet and works from home basically every day. So I think he gets it. But I would like to push for no more than 2.5 days in the office (my daughter has half day Fridays, so I would just pick her up at noon and go home).

Also, I am enjoying wearing hoodies and leggings every day. They will take my athleisure from my cold dead fingers, too.

If people expect me to wear real pants, they better give me a damn good reason why I should.

I hate wearing jeans these days. I actually prefer to wear work pants if I have to be in public. They just fit better and offer more movement. 

Also, I must've been crazy to work for myself. I'm so overwhelmed right now it's crazy. 

2 hours ago, Cerina said:

I hate wearing jeans these days. I actually prefer to wear work pants if I have to be in public. They just fit better and offer more movement. 

Also, I must've been crazy to work for myself. I'm so overwhelmed right now it's crazy. 

if you work for yourself do you even need to wear pants?

I'm not wearing pants today. But I did have 2 meetings at the office on Monday, so I had to wear pants. And heels. :unimpressed: I literally only have sneakers and the one pair of heels right now. I don't even have sandals or hiking boots anymore. I think somewhere there's a missing box of all of my shoes. I need to make money to go shoe shopping. 

So work is going really well, and I love my new job. I love my team, we work well together, I don’t have to deal with the public, and it’s probably turning permanent because they’re realizing that it’s a ton of work and rotating the team every 6 months is going to be a mistake. 

So my issue is that the temp job didn’t come with a pay raise, but if it’s permanent I’m probably the lowest paid person on the team, if not the lowest at least half of the team makes more than me. There’s only 4 of us, and we all came from different departments but two of them handled injury claims and definitely make more. So if this definitely becomes permanent, I’m in the unusual position of asking for a raise. Unusual because normally if I’ve gotten a new job it’s just come with a raise and I’ve never had to ask for it.

I don't gripe much but my company, if you're already with the company, can only give you a certain percent increase when moving up into a supervisor position.  As opposed to hiring someone from the outside, in which case they can offer them any price and don't have to worry about it being too high of a percentage increase.  Because of this ,I did reject their original offer and I'm waiting for them to send a new offer.  

1 hour ago, Jedigoat said:

Also, I don't know where to put this but there's a guy at my job named Carson, who has a girlfriend named Skylar.   And there use to be a guy that worked here named Skylar and he has a girlfriend named Carson.  

Are you sure you don’t live in a sitcom?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.