The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

9 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

We are kind of getting killed in hiring at my company. We cut way too deep with COVID layoffs. We got plenty of people to retire and they decided that wasn't deep enough, they needed to lay off the new hires who had just gotten up to speed. Way to burn the bridge, guys. This is after years of bigger local companies luring good people away with bigger salaries (but driving them into the ground working 60 hour weeks). So we pissed off the young employees and now the experienced ones don't want to come back for a smaller paycheck. I hear that they are kind of realizing they need to pay better but I think they better play ball with these recent job offers. We are also hearing that some of our offers get rejected because they are too slow to come through. Or they accept and then get a better offer. So tons of energy being put into hiring, and very little panning out. Its a weird job market out here. I could definitely find something and get a new job but I'm not sure the environment would be any better and the commute would probably kill me.

Surprised they didn't take a page from ULA...

step 1: lay off people with huge severance packages

step 2: immediately hire them back at triple pay as independent contracters

step 3: ???

step 4: profit

35 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I think they did try that, but they waited a year, so at at step 2 most said eff you retirement is nice.

I mean, this has been great for my career but it would be nice to have some more people to do the mountain of work.

I had a friend that was laid off and within a week was recruited AND offered a job in DC by a separate company.  ULA had to switch strategies and offer independent contractor positions while the employees were still finishing their final projects. 

Today I got a phone call from my last boss's old team lead. She said she wanted to call to get my permission to share my phone number with other people because she knows several agents who need help getting their chaos in order. She told me that she knows I'm great at what I do and that I should go into business for myself doing these things on a contract basis for agents around Austin. 

That idea excites me almost as much as it terrifies me. I have no idea how to go about pricing any of the things I do. 

22 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Your company does seem pretty terrible. Mr Skywalker was actually telling me about how they are contracting with a company that does training videos. Your voice is way hotter than the other people doing these boring ass videos. Let me see if I can find out the company name.

OKAY! I'm good at voicing boring ass videos.

I heart is terrible. They had to change the company name from Clear Channel (Cheap Channel) because they're so notoriously cheap

Not so much about work, but we accepted two students (4th and 5th grade) that are in foster care with another of our families.  We knew they were coming for two weeks.  We were preparing for the worst...years of abuse-sexual and physical by their previous foster family.  One has significant delays caused by drug use by bio mom and the other has NEVER been to school (they were told school is where the devil lives).  They were only allowed to read the Bible.  The had a foster sibling die under suspicious circumstances that is under police investigation (which is why they were removed from this home). 

First. something about our school--our population is, generally speaking, a bunch of awkward, nerdy kids.  A lot of kids are here because they don't really fit in traditional schools.  We do a lot of social-emotional work like daily morning and closing circles, restorative practices for discipline, mindfulness, etc.

I received the radio call they arrived and walked to the office not knowing what to expect.  I was told by the brother (Kinder) that goes to our school the transition at home was not going well at all.  So I walk into the office to see two totally nerdy (and I mean that as a sincere term of endearment), adorable, young boys; I knew we were going to be okay.  They are so awesome...so excited about EVERYTHING: being on a computer, playing on a playground, having a hot lunch, getting a new notebook.  I was talking to the one kid he was told me he is only allowed to read the Bible and I was all, "have you read Calvin and Hobbes or Captain Underpants?" and showed him my collection.  His mind was blown.

Last night I couldn't sleep and even broke down and cried.  Who would do this to these kids?  Despite everything they went through, these kids are sweet, incredible, and so positive.  Like what could they do, that anyone would deem so evil, to justify the level of abuse they received for years...and that is just the abuse we know about...

40 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Well now I'm crying too. I'm so glad this new family is fostering them and I hope they never go back to that hellhole. I'm glad too, that you have such a good community for them.

I am worried about what is next.  I dunno if the family wants to do a permanent adoption, they already have 4 kids of their own. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

It's genuinely shocking how often this happens in foster families. Why agree to foster kids if you're such a piece of shit who obviously hates children?

They think they are doing god's work.  Abuse probably comes from taking child raising strategies from the old testament.

I have a cousin who was going to foster just so she could get money. In Ohio, at least, the state helps pay for the cost of fostering, and so people can pocket the money. That leads to bad people fostering kids.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Well I won't say it was the best interview I've ever done, but I feel good about it. Minus the fact that it's 90 degrees and even with the overhead fan on I sweated through the whole thing, but fortunately that didn't show up on camera. I THINK.

what is the job?

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.