The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

They’re doing a 60 day severance package and paying out for PTO, and everyone just got 5 weeks of PTO on January 1, so at least they’re helping people that way. But 2 companies have reached out to me already. My current company offers 12 weeks paternity leave, so I’d like to stay until our next baby, and then maybe leave.

It’s a shitty, but legal, response. Unless you can prove they could have accommodated you, which typically is possible. 

Contact the EEOC.

I’m sort of stuck where I am because of the parental leave policy. 12 weeks off, and my wife is for sure pregnant, so hopefully it lasts. If not, I get 5 days bereavement for a miscarriage and I’m taking every benefit I’ve got

I might be partnering up with a good friend of mine in her real estate business. She got her license right about the time I started working this job last year. We met at the real estate investment company like 10+ years ago. She was the head of our construction department, and one of the only people in the company I could stand to be around. Through the years she's been like a huge savior, throwing us small jobs from her property preservation company and her husband's home reno company. Now she's an agent and doing her own flips on the side. 

She's doing well enough that she wants some help doing some marketing, so I told her that I could help with that (I've helped her with a few random things since she got her license) and our conversations have escalated from there. I'm going to Houston next week so we can do some planning in person. 

One of my biggest issues in finding an individual agent to work with is that they aren't inclined to trust and it makes my job more difficult. Starting with someone who already knows and trusts me completely will hopefully be different. 

My stupid husband started applying for jobs on Saturday. He's sent out maybe 10 resumes, and so far today he's received 2 phone calls for job interviews and at least one email requesting that he apply for a position he didn't even send in a resume for (a legit one as well, not one of those spamy emails for like insurance adjusters or marketers). 

I've been looking for a month and nada. Stupid man with his stupid man name and stupid man experience. 

Probably. He's been casting a pretty wide net - automotive tech, maintenance and make-ready, that sorta stuff. 

He's also been applying to larger companies than I have been. It's a odd time of year for smaller real estate teams to be hiring. But still...:unimpressed:

On 1/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, Cerina said:

So I contacted the recruiter that found me for Ashley because I figured that they already have 5+ hours of video of me being interviewed, so maybe we can cut to the chase a bit. Today they sent me a text about a possible Office/Operations Manager position for a real estate team with offices in Houston, Galveston, and Austin. They need someone who can work remotely but also travel between offices when needed. It also pays $10-22k more than I was just making. 

I have an appointment to speak to the recruiter about it in more detail later on today, so we'll see. 

This is a husband and wife team, and the husband's dad died like 2 days after I posted this. Yesterday I got an email saying that they're ready to move to the "final" stage of interviews (they used all my recorded interviews and test scores to bypass everything before this). This stage of interview is a sort of panel interview with their team and other influential people who know their business, so as soon as they figure out scheduling, they'll set us up. 

Meanwhile, today I have a quick Zoom interview with a single agent here in Austin. Her ad said she needed someone for 20-40 hours a week, so I don't know yet if that will work. It'll depend on what job Trevor gets. 

9 minutes ago, Cerina said:

Meanwhile, today I have a quick Zoom interview with a single agent here in Austin. Her ad said she needed someone for 20-40 hours a week, so I don't know yet if that will work. It'll depend on what job Trevor gets. 

Don't share that tidbit until you get the job. One, you have no idea when/if he will get a job. And its just a job, not a forever commitment. (I say this as a total hypocrite who has worked for the same company since she was legal to drink alcohol, and should probably quit but won't.)

Not bitching but work related: 

The room I work in is me and a co-worker, our desks are almost six feet apart....

Co-worker -- (quietly) "Oh, Danny Danny...."

So I look his direction and say "Yeah?"

Him -- "Oh, nothing.  I was just talking to myself."

Me -- "You said my name while talking to yourself??"

Him -- "It's not like we were naked in a hot tub."

I couldn't think of anything to reply with other than a long delay, then "All right. "

Yep!  Naked at work.   I don't know how I get away with it.  Seniority, I guess.  No hot tub, though.   I print labels most of the day so doing that from a hot tub, I don't see any problems with it.  Corporate doesn't think it's necessary for me to have one, wtf??

It went well? Basically he has been putting me off for 2 or 3 months now and I warned him a month ago that other leads were getting replaced, and he did not want the leftovers who didn't get the early jobs. We are bleeding people like crazy and loosing a lot of big talent to places like Amazon who pay much better. We had a conversation the day before about it because we need to hire, and he said oh my gosh I shouldn't tell you all this, please don't leave. So after I got shit on again this morning by someone asking me for important info 10 minutes before it was due, I decided I was going to let him know that this is why people leave to go to Amazon, too. Its not just pay, its making good people do shitty work because sometimes shitty work needs to get done, and then rewarding people who refuse to do the shitty work because its beneath them by giving them better work. I am a good lead but I am an even better analyst. And this job really needs someone who wants to be a manager and worries about organization and estimating work completion and other things that are not engineering.  Meanwhile, less talented and less experienced people are getting better opportunities that I was told I needed to wait my turn for. So no, I'm done waiting my turn.

So my boss said message received and he will let the skill team know that he needs a new lead so that I can focus on some special projects that I am uniquely suited for.

Yay. My second job gave me my end of year eval and it was hilarious. They said basically they love me and need me but I don't meet any metrics (Because I don't care and I'm honestly just milking my $20 an hour job to get money saved to buy a house in this market). So basically great job but because your not meeting in metrics like wrap up time or quality (I don't push that CheckProtect trackable delivery or rush down ppls thoats so I don't get quality but my revenue per minute is AWESOME because I can literally make a call last 196 seconds instead of the expected 324 seconds) I don't get a raise but I wasn't expecting one because I'm at the tippy top of the range they pay peons to talk to customers and the only way to get a raise now is to get promoted in a job I hate. I mean I love teaching as much as the next person who loves verbal abuse from parents, barf and talk back from kids and meeting really bizarre standards and benchmarks and paper cuts but I'm like 16 years away from retirement and if that's not soul sucking enough to make you chuck it all and go live like a homeless person on a beach I dunno what is.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, Cerina said:

I had a 2nd interview with this lady today. We talked about doing salary rather than hourly because I flat out told her in our first talk that based on what she wanted, it would likely be a full-time job right out of the gate because everything would take more time than she thought. Apparently she liked that. So today we had an 18 minute talk on Zoom about paying salary, flexible schedules, when I could start, unlimited PTO...pretty much everything but her just saying "ok you got the job". Instead she said "you should hear from me, well tomorrow, I'm ready to get going and get this started". 

She did say that she was talking to me and one other person. So I guess we'll see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.