The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

My current dilemma is that I'm this show, and I don't love my episode. I'm adapting a so-so book, doing my best with it because I really needed the job to make my minimums with the union to keep my insurance. I'm doign my best to have fun with it, but the showrunner is VERY prescriptive and I hasn't given me a ton of freedom.

Worse, he's made one of the characters really sexist and gross. At first it was funny and intentional, but when the studio came back and said it was making the whole script feel sexist, he decided to push back even harder and write all these lines that are even worse.

As showrunner, he has the right to do that to my script-- but my name is still on it, so the studio and network are going to think this is coming for me. He will fight for it, but at the end of the day when it's shot and comes out my name will be on it. I've pushed back a little with him, but two other writers have already left the show. I don't know if it is because they had trouble working with him, but I have my suspicions.

... your showrunner must be a complete asshole if the studio told him to chill and he's pushing back harder. I mean... they want people to watch the show, right?

I've decided I'm done with my job today. I was going to go for a full last week, but... fuck it.

19 hours ago, Tank said:

If I bitch about work am I going to get laughed out of here?

I feel like that too, but in a different way.  Every time I try to sit down and type out what is bothering me, I feel like a total jerk who is entitled.  I will just say I work in a place where we have moved physical locations, and between me being sick until recently, and my dad dying,  plus all the stress at the job, I feel just completely stressed out and want to just quit my job.   But that would be dumb without a plan or a job to go to.  Problem is, I am burnt out from the industry itself and need a career change, not just quitting my job and doing the same thing elsewhere.  It is hard to do, when you don't know what it is you want to change to.

58 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I feel like that too, but in a different way.  Every time I try to sit down and type out what is bothering me, I feel like a total jerk who is entitled.  I will just say I work in a place where we have moved physical locations, and between me being sick until recently, and my dad dying,  plus all the stress at the job, I feel just completely stressed out and want to just quit my job.   But that would be dumb without a plan or a job to go to.  Problem is, I am burnt out from the industry itself and need a career change, not just quitting my job and doing the same thing elsewhere.  It is hard to do, when you don't know what it is you want to change to.

I deeply feel all of this.

I just wrote my "I quit" email and scheduled it to send 15 minutes after my shift ends today. Feels good, man.

I love my company, but I *REALLY* hate my job right now. I'm basically set up for failure, and it sucks. But I just need to hold on for a month and I can start looking for new jobs in the company. 

So, I handle auto claims. And that's what I signed up for and I was capable of doing it well, even though I hate it. Then they were like "Hey, we need help for a week or two handling west coast claims." That was a month ago, and there's no sign of it changing. What's the problem? I can't call people before 9 AM local time. Which is noon my time. So I have 5 hours to call out on everything. But everything has to be handled within 4 business hours, which means that I really have 1 hour to make all the calls. And the people on the west coast are three hours behind me, so when they call back, I'm already off for the day. And I'm not in a position where I can just work until 8 PM to help people. And it sucks, but that's what you get with someone in the Eastern time zone handling Oregon and California.

November 24 is 6 months in my current role, and the day I start checking openings daily. This just isn't sustainable. They're hiring more people, but by the time they get through training and actually get a full claim load, it'll be at least late November.

Man. In order to help east coast people we just have to wake up before the sunrise so we can be on the phones on or before 6am our time. Then stay til 6pm or later to help other west coasters

Thank god I don’t have to do anything with our customers or with consumers. But that’s how west coast businesses handle the time differences.

1 minute ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Man. In order to help east coast people we just have to wake up before the sunrise so we can be on the phones on or before 6am our time. Then stay til 6pm or later to help other west coasters

Thank god I don’t have to do anything with our customers or with consumers. But that’s how west coast businesses handle the time differences.

It sucks. I would much rather start my day earlier than stay late, though. It sucks even more because there are people who live in other time zones who aren't handling these states. It makes a ton more sense to have someone in Mountain time handle the west coast.  And people get understandably pissed about not being able to reach me. I was okay with doing this short term, but long term it really sucks.

On 10/14/2021 at 1:11 PM, Tank said:

My current dilemma is that I'm this show, and I don't love my episode. I'm adapting a so-so book, doing my best with it because I really needed the job to make my minimums with the union to keep my insurance. I'm doign my best to have fun with it, but the showrunner is VERY prescriptive and I hasn't given me a ton of freedom.

Worse, he's made one of the characters really sexist and gross. At first it was funny and intentional, but when the studio came back and said it was making the whole script feel sexist, he decided to push back even harder and write all these lines that are even worse.

As showrunner, he has the right to do that to my script-- but my name is still on it, so the studio and network are going to think this is coming for me. He will fight for it, but at the end of the day when it's shot and comes out my name will be on it. I've pushed back a little with him, but two other writers have already left the show. I don't know if it is because they had trouble working with him, but I have my suspicions.

I always love learning how the meat gets made from you.  This sort of stuff is always really obvious and glaring in a lot of big studio movies.  Certain scenes come out of nowhere, or feel unnecessary or shoehorned in.  Sometimes it's even line to line.  I liked No Time to Die a lot, but the parts where they had Phoebe Waller-Bridge come in to brush things up really felt like an apple put in with a bunch of oranges.

On my side of things, I'm feeling really stale.  I love where I work, I always wanted to be at NASA since I was a little kid.  But the role itself has gotten incredibly mundane and discouraging.  Everything's in a long slog of a routine, and new projects are tough to pick up as long as we're still working remote.  We're going through a bit of a reorganization, and I'm seriously considering reaching out to my current and former PM to see if there's a more comm-centric role I can take before too long.  I really can't complain, but I'd really like to be challenged a bit more and feel more excited about it like when I first started. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:11 PM, Tank said:

That kinda reminds me of the Kevin Smith story about working on Spiderman Lives and the producer wanted the fight with the big spider and the polar bears and Kevin Smith is like WTF.  The movie, I think, ended up morphing into Wild Wild West. 

On 10/18/2021 at 2:15 PM, Zathras said:

Tomorrow, I interview for another job in a different department and location.  It means a steep pay cut for me if I get it, but I hope the stress level is less.  Mental health before money I guess.  Wish me luck.  LOL.

If you can afford it, less stress is worth a pay cut. My dad worked a factory job, but there was a point where he got a new boss who made his life miserable. We could see it in his blood donor card - his blood pressure shot up and was super high for three years, until the boss left, and then it dropped. But just those three years helped kill him early. It absolutely isn’t worth it to kill ourselves, especially when just to make someone else more money. 

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

If you can afford it, less stress is worth a pay cut. My dad worked a factory job, but there was a point where he got a new boss who made his life miserable. We could see it in his blood donor card - his blood pressure shot up and was super high for three years, until the boss left, and then it dropped. But just those three years helped kill him early. It absolutely isn’t worth it to kill ourselves, especially when just to make someone else more money. 

Well, my interview went well, but they still need to interview others and turn it over to HR.  Fingers crossed!  If I can get out of where I am, it will be worth the pay cut! Today was exactly the kind of shit show I am trying to leave!

• 4 weeks later...

It's hard to do proper research when neither your boss, nor the person for whom you're doing said research, can write a sentence in proper English to save their lives. All we get are incomplete sentences, run on sentences, total nonsense and a complete lack of description of WHAT IT IS WE'RE FUCKING RESEARCHING.

You can't tell me "issue is currently seen in production" and not even explain what the goddamn issue is.

Me: signs off Friday night

Engineer send email after I sign off saying hey let's meet at 10:30 Monday to discuss big problem.

Another engineer says hey I'm out for 3 weeks. Here is a bunch of stuff I didn't get done, can you and old white guy take care of it? Xoxo.

Old white guy 1, 7:30 AM Monday: hey this is all yours. I dont like meetings.

Me: go pound sand, I'm running meetings during those meetings.

Old guy 1: oh ok

8:30 AM: big deal presentation, where I get a lot of questions from people mostly trying to remind everyone how smart they are.

9:30 AM: breathe, start reading email.

10:30 AM: go to meeting

10:31 AM private message from old white guy 2: We should've had a meeting ahead of time to talk about this. Why didn't you schedule that?

Clearly my problem is 90% old white guys, and 10% is that apparently I'm the only person whose Outlook works so that I can schedule meetings. What am I, the fucking secretary?

I feel like that's a Dilbert comic strip but Old White Guys like those strips. So basically all I can offer is what I think about at my job - some day when I'm 80 something I will be offered the opportunity to finally retire and the bonus to lasting until I am 80 is I will get to drive around to all the old retirement homes and such my former nemisiseses (People who used to be above me or I worked with or took a phone call who worked in a bank) and I get to slap the shit out of them.

20 minutes ago, Cerina said:

Wait...they think you can catch covid from vaccinated people simply because they have the vaccine?

Yes....maybe...who knows. 

And I would love to tell you about the fiasco he likes to call a "family emergency" and how we bent over backwards for the whole family.  The mandate that he self-quarantine for 10 days was because he refused to have the covid test done--which we do here for free that literally takes 10 seconds to swab and like 30 minutes to get the result. 

Ok...I just can't with these people. 

Moving on! 

When I was hired my offer letter listed "performance bonuses" as part of my benefits along with PTO and profit sharing. We've had a few discussions about PTO but no mention of the bonuses or profit sharing. 

I don't know how to bring this up. I started on June 1st, so it's been almost 6 months. I don't think I can continue to not bring it up. 

15 hours ago, Cerina said:

Ok...I just can't with these people. 

Moving on! 

When I was hired my offer letter listed "performance bonuses" as part of my benefits along with PTO and profit sharing. We've had a few discussions about PTO but no mention of the bonuses or profit sharing. 

I don't know how to bring this up. I started on June 1st, so it's been almost 6 months. I don't think I can continue to not bring it up. 

Just ask about how your doing on your progression towards the performance bonus (like is it pro-rated that you started in may, what are the benchmarks, etc). 

1 hour ago, Cerina said:

Let's pretend that I'm awkward and scared of adult conversations, then what?

Practice. A lot. Like you’re trying to learn lines for a play. And then just lob it in there like a (polite) grenade and you have no choice but to follow through 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.