The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

Get this shit.

I’ve already covered how my boss told me - in a text, mind you - that I can only work from home while sick, and unable to come into the office.

Turns out she meant I wasn’t allowed to work from home at all, with the exception of post-op.

I’m going to interject here that in the time since we had this text convo, morning girl has taken MANY work from home days, including the Friday before Labor Day, which by the rules I didn’t even know I was under at the time would have disqualified her for holiday pay. And I would have heard about it if she didn’t get holiday pay, I did the last time she took the day before a holiday off.

This means that all the time I was home this week pulling myself out of sleep to answer emails and post social media doesn’t get me a full week’s pay, because I was passed out between tasks and can’t account for the time with a time stamp.

So I countered with reasonable accommodation for disability. Working from home was a reasonable accommodation for post-op, why is it no longer a reasonable accommodation? I completed that ADA form when I was hired, they have documentation that they hired a disabled person. And frankly, I can’t handle this job without the work from home option, my last flare had me completely bedridden for five weeks.

No answer from my boss.

So, now I get to contact the head of HR and my lawyer on Monday. Fun.

I’m also going to use all of my free time at the office from here on in - because I honestly do have loads - to look for a better job.

This sucks, but it also looks great for my disability case. This is the second time I’ve tangled with a company that couldn’t or wouldn’t provide  reasonable accommodation that I need/ed.

BIG HUGS TO YOU!! I'm also glad you have a lawyer already this time around. Hopefully that'll make it easier. 

So now I feel a little weird complaining about my job...but...

This isn't a big thing at all, but I'm mildly irritated working with a married couple. I know they want to build this bit real estate empire and they hired me because I excel at all the things they're deficient at, but holy crap I can't get them to fully do things "right". I'm setting up all these systems and processes that will be scalable so we can grow and start hiring more agents and admin staff and all that jazz, but they keep shortcutting things because...well...they're married and live together and it's just easier for them to have these conversations and make decisions at dinner or in bed or over coffee or whatever the hell they do as a married couple both working together from home. 

Oh and I set up an in-person team planning meeting with them for last Thursday so I could tactfully express this opinion but my "new" car broke down on the way and we just cancelled the meeting. 

7 hours ago, Iceheart said:

I did NOT realize how traumatic 2020 was for me. Now that I’m faced with money loss and a job hunt again, I am FREAKING OUT and having all these flashbacks to 2020. My depression swung back in hardcore since yesterday. This really sucks.

With your health, could you do full-time if its fully WFH?

Area/District manager for Frito-Lay. Been with Frito-Lay for 15 years. 2021 is worse than 2020. Can’t hire anyone, starting wage is $18.25 an hourly for merchandisers. 40 hours guaranteed, overtime if you want it, great benefits, 401k and a pension. I find myself running routes myself because we can’t hire anyone. We’re starting a $1000 sign on bonus for merchandisers and a $3000 sign on bonus for drivers starting next week, hopefully this will bring people in.

On top of the labor shortages, there’s a national shortage on ingredients. Such as artificial colors, dyes, certain spices, dextrose, potassium chloride, etc. this prevents us to be able to produce ‘pellet balls’, which is basically a ball of all the ingredients packed in a shell so we can produce Doritos, Lays, Cheetos, etc. So this means we are not able to make certain chips because we don’t have the ingredients to produce the chips. Which means our production these last couple of months have slowed drastically, and in turn our grain, corn, and potato farmers (Frito-Lay actually contracts out farmers to grow our corn, grain and potatoes) are over producing product (you can’t just stop shit from growing) and it’s going to waste. 

Its a fucking shit show. Oh, and next week you’re going to see all Frito-Lay products increase 30-50 cents, thanks to all of these issues. We’re passing these losses down to you, the consumer. You’re welcome.

2 hours ago, David said:

Area/District manager for Frito-Lay. Been with Frito-Lay for 15 years. 2021 is worse than 2020. Can’t hire anyone, starting wage is $18.25 an hourly for merchandisers. 40 hours guaranteed, overtime if you want it, great benefits, 401k and a pension. I find myself running routes myself because we can’t hire anyone. We’re starting a $1000 sign on bonus for merchandisers and a $3000 sign on bonus for drivers starting next week, hopefully this will bring people in.

On top of the labor shortages, there’s a national shortage on ingredients. Such as artificial colors, dyes, certain spices, dextrose, potassium chloride, etc. this prevents us to be able to produce ‘pellet balls’, which is basically a ball of all the ingredients packed in a shell so we can produce Doritos, Lays, Cheetos, etc. So this means we are not able to make certain chips because we don’t have the ingredients to produce the chips. Which means our production these last couple of months have slowed drastically, and in turn our grain, corn, and potato farmers (Frito-Lay actually contracts out farmers to grow our corn, grain and potatoes) are over producing product (you can’t just stop shit from growing) and it’s going to waste. 

Its a fucking shit show. Oh, and next week you’re going to see all Frito-Lay products increase 30-50 cents, thanks to all of these issues. We’re passing these losses down to you, the consumer. You’re welcome.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/13/pepsico-pep-q2-2021-earnings.html

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/53480-frito-lay-improves-despite-covid-comps-supply-disruptions

Wow...making billions in profits (including far exceeding profit projections) despite the delays due to the issues stemming from the winter storm in the south and still a.) paying people a low livable wage and b.) increasing the price of the product. 

That sucks man...  People are making a lot off of you busting your ass. 

54 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/13/pepsico-pep-q2-2021-earnings.html

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/53480-frito-lay-improves-despite-covid-comps-supply-disruptions

Wow...making billions in profits (including far exceeding profit projections) despite the delays due to the issues stemming from the winter storm in the south and still a.) paying people a low livable wage and b.) increasing the price of the product. 

That sucks man...  People are making billions off of you busting your ass. 

Oh I know. In 2020, Frito-Lay division carried PepsiCo to strong profits and numbers Frito-Lay will likely never see again. The Pepsi division struggled in 2020 because of all of the restaurant closures and carry out orders. Now in 2021, it’s Frito-Lay’s turn to struggle a bit and Pepsi’s turn to shine. 

2020 and 2021 will be the 2 best years that PepsiCo has ever seen and will ever see for quite some time. Just another multibillion dollar company succeeding in the pandemic while everyone else suffers.

And to add to this, being a district manager, I’m in charge of a lot of things and of course, sales numbers are on top of the list. Always has been. Since overlapping numbers from March of 2020, I can count 4 weeks this year where we sold more than last year in my district. And I’m not the only district seeing this. Some districts haven’t matched a sales week from last year yet. Every fucking week I’m being asked to jump through hoops to try and get my team to hit sales numbers. Doesn’t matter that some of these stores fail to get deliveries from Frito-Lay because there wasn’t driver support so shelves stay empty for another day, generating no sales. Never mind we can’t get some of our top lines of product such as nacho Doritos and Tostitos Scoops and that space stays empty for days because we don’t have the ingredients to make them. But yeah, make sure you make plan numbers. 

13 hours ago, Fozzie said:

With your health, could you do full-time if its fully WFH?

No, mostly because I have my disability hearing in December. If you’re on disability, you have an earnings cap.

I don’t think I can handle full time hours of anything anymore, though.

Well and that's what disability is for. You can't work enough to sustain yourself because of your disability, so don't feel bad about it.

This business appears to have a lot of rules designed to screw people out of their pay, like no holiday pay if you take the day before off. I mean, either they pay you for the holiday or not. Not to say anything of their clear favoritism towards morning girl, who has become an entitled pain in the ass because of it. Something is shady there.

Honestly, the sooner you find another job, the better off you will be. Even if you get fired for something that is a clear violation of disability law, the better off you will be.

Well. Two things.

Morning girl was not in today, nor has she read the email that was sent yesterday revoking both of our work from home privileges. I was wondering why I didn't get panicked texts this morning.

My letter to HR requesting reasonable accommodation was flatly denied. So, I wrote to my lawyer, who immediately told me that I am indeed covered by the ADA. He told me to ask again flatly stating that this is a request under the ADA, and HR came back that they want my lawyer to call the owner of the company. So, we'll see what happens there.

Now the head of the company is blatantly refusing to talk to my lawyer and refusing to accommodate my disability. Shitty and illegal.

I’ve informed my boss that I’m looking for a new job… but hell. Every WFH job that’s out there is full time. I may just have to ride out until my disability hearing in December, and hopefully I win that case right away so I don’t have to worry about income anymore and can quit.

3 hours ago, Iceheart said:

If you write an email to HR about your boss, is it legal for HR to forward that message to your boss and have your boss answer it?

I went to HR for a reason.

Unfortunately, it is legal. There is no assumption of confidentiality for emails in a workplace, with very few exceptions. Is the reason they forwarded the email that they are expecting your boss to amend their behavior? It sounds like your work is full of evil bees. Can you start making a plan to exit sometime in the future?  

If they're refusing to accommodate ADA compliance, depending on the size of the workplace *and* refusing to do so does not create an undue hardship for them, you have strong legal grounds for a lawsuit.

The minute I can, I’m out. I was ready to quit today.

They claim it would present an undue hardship, but they also refuse to let me go for not being able to perform the duties of the job, so I’m doing the barest minimum while I’m on the clock, and half scrambling, half budgeting for a speedy exit.

Contact the EEOC. It's cheaper than an attorney and can help. But it's slow, so you need to file immediately if you want to have any chance of talking to someone before the end of the year.

Two things...

All of a sudden, morning girl is doing stuff she would never touch before this. She asked me today to write her a tutorial on how to print return address labels (yes, she's been the morning receptionist for over a year now and she doesn't know how to use the multi-purpose tray on the printer). She tried to take over my Halloween luncheon planning, and she hates planning events. So I wonder if she's been informed my time here is dwindling and she needs to take over? Like, are they planning on firing me even though they said they wouldn't?

And then, HR mails me a form for my doctor to complete about my level of disability. Like... they couldn't have done that first thing, they really had to throw a shit fit for a week and a half and waste my lawyer's time?

Mixed messages, yo.

No mixed messages. They’re getting rid of you, which is why they’re now willing to play the ADA game, so they can try to say that they fired you for reasons other than your disability.

25 minutes ago, Tank said:

If I bitch about work am I going to get laughed out of here?

Work is work, no matter what you do. Even the best jobs have shitty parts. Plus you work for yourself, so we all know your boss is a dick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.