The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

In my job hunt last year, I had three different recruiters thank me for being up front with my experience and salary requirements. I explained how long I’ve been in the industry and the minimum amount I could accept and they all said that it’s refreshing to talk to someone who knows what they’re worth, because nobody does.

I ended up taking less than my minimum because I decided that it was worth taking a step back to get where I wanted to go. But, the point is, three people who solely hire people said that nobody knows their worth, and that means a lot. You probably deserve more than what you’re making, but this is also a starting point. Do your best, help grow the business, and don’t be afraid to ask for more when it makes sense. Everyone who isn’t a narcissist or a psychopath feels like an imposter sometimes. I’ve accepted that’s actually just part of being an adult. Nobody has it all together.  

20 hours ago, Cerina said:

I did something pretty stupid a couple of weeks ago. 

Part of my job is getting and keep my boss organized, so I have full access to her emails. A couple of weeks ago while I was going through doing searches and trying to label, delete, and just generally organize her emails I found all the back-and-forth she was doing with the agency that she used to recruit me. So I read it all. That wasn't too bad actually. She absolutely loved me from the very beginning. It's just a good personality match. Anyway, one part of the hiring process was a group/panel interview between the job candidate (me) and a small group of people who know her and her business best (her husband, her team leader, and one of her best friends/associates). We had Zoom meeting where they could scope me out to see if they thought I'd be a good fit for her and I could probe them for more information about Ashley. THEN they had a Zoom meeting with Ashley and the recruiter to talk about me...and they recorded it...and I watched it. 

For the most part, it was great. They all thought I was a great match personality-wise. So much so, in fact, that some of them were convinced that I'd stalked her social media and scripted all of my answers (only marginally true - I did stalk her social media but mostly to see if I'd like her, and all my answers were scripted specifically to the brokerage and how they do things, not my experience or personality because what's the point of faking a personality??). But then they started talking about they didn't think my financial goals are ambitious enough and how my experience with foreclosures and investments will be helpful when the market shifts. So now 2 things are happening - I'm overcompensating on making it seem like I want to make a lot of money in the future and I can't stop thinking that maybe I oversold my experience and they're all going to be disappointed if the market crashes and I can't drag us out of it. 

The reality is that I have no idea what I'm worth. I do have a lot of experience and a bunch of knowledge and some natural skills and talents, but I've been underpaid and overworked so much in the past that anything else feels exorbitant. This is the highest paying job I've ever had and it's really only $40k a year plus bonuses and profit sharing which, honestly, I haven't even asked about because talking about money makes me feel greedy and squishy inside and I don't even know how to approach the subject. And this is occupying waaaay too many of my thoughts lately. And when I'm not wallowing in that, I've got this imposter syndrome convincing me that I've oversold myself and am in over my head. 

Nothing wrong with stalking them--they should want someone that is prepared so good on you.  They researched you, why not do the same?  An interview is like a date.  I want to know if the person I am going to work for has a good sense of humor or (and true story) doesn't believe in dinosaurs.

I have BAAAD imposter syndrome too...I believe that if someone thinks they are totally prepared and have it all figured out they won't have that fear that drives someone to always be learning and open to new experiences.  Maybe you don't have that experience navigating those issues--but maybe they recognized your growth mindset-which is almost always preferable to a skill set that can be learned.  With all that said, I am terrified I am going to be revealed as a fraud.  I also gained access to my interview process google doc notes...over the course of 5 interviews nearly 100 people submitted their thoughts on me (and the other two candidates) and ranked us.  I look at the sheet and see comments like this (this was a parent) and I wonder how long the people that ranked me 1 see that this is the reality.  At the end of the day I am on Busiprone for my anxiety. 

image.thumb.png.12413155c124c4e0747724329cc6860b.png

• 2 months later...

I got cleared to resume normal activity yesterday!

And as I suspected, the morning receptionist never once cleaned the break room. In 13 weeks. Because it "isn't her job." Despite it being my job, and we have the SAME JOB.

:puke::puke::puke:

She almost deleted an inquiry from the president of one of the oldest and most prominent clubs in the city last week, too, because answering questions "isn't her job." Guess what? Yup, it sure is mine.

Everyone hates her. 

I don't know what's worse, the chauvinist who isn't self aware, or the chauvinist who is. Ugh.

So, today I get texts about two hours before I'm on the clock from the morning receptionist. You all probably noticed that Google Chrome updated recently, and in my case that created a blank double profile. It usually gives me the choice between old profile and new profile when I log in, I pick old, and go on my way. Not the morning girl! She claims she's never seen the new profile before, and it does look like the old profile got deleted or something. She texts me accusing me of being the one to do it, and how it means she can't work.

Now... this is a bookmarks bar we're talking about. Do we have a paper list of the sites we use? Yes. Can you just google said sites and re-bookmark them? Yes. Does it take maybe 10 minutes of time? Yes. Does the morning girl know how to do it/have any motivation to do it? No, she just wants to bitch at me while I'm not on the clock.

Her excuse when I got in this afternoon was "I have a Mac at home, I don't know anything about any of this!" One: it's your job to know. Has been for a year now. Two: googling tutorials is not that hard.

I just... can't.

Also, I was told very specifically by my boss that I was only to work from home if I'm too sick to come in to work. Other than that, my butt has to be at my desk. Morning girl was never told anything like this, she gets to work from home carte blanche. She gets to work from home tomorrow. I do not.

Morning girl knows this, and is perfectly comfortable with the discrepancy since it favors her. Boss doesn't seem to notice a discrepancy.

If your company is big enough to be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you have a pretty good EEOC complain, too. There’s some pretty blatant disability discrimination going on.

I had to work in buildings without AC (100 degrees out) on Wednesday and Thursday. Neither the Chipotle, nor the McDonalds that I'd worked at, had any sort of power.  The sad part was that I was installing the digital menu boards for the McDonalds, and without temporary power, I'd have had no way to know if everything was working. I still couldn't finish the job though, because the only internet they had was provided by a 5G cradle-point. The media players weren't setup to communicate with that device. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

You need a new job or a new boss. Is your company big enough to get a transfer? Why is morning girl so special?

Yes and no. Any transfer would be to another state at best, and I doubt the company would be okay with it. And morning girl has three kids - all are in their teens (and not young teens) and 20's, but she uses "I'm a mother!" as her excuse to miss just about everything.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, Fozzie said:

If your company is big enough to be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you have a pretty good EEOC complain, too. There’s some pretty blatant disability discrimination going on.

Wait, how?

5 hours ago, Iceheart said:

Yes and no. Any transfer would be to another state at best, and I doubt the company would be okay with it. And morning girl has three kids - all are in their teens (and not young teens) and 20's, but she uses "I'm a mother!" as her excuse to miss just about everything.

Wait, how?

I’m not an attorney, blah blah blah, disclaimer.  But the ADA basically says you can’t treat someone with a disability worse than you treat people without one. The obvious difference, in terms of work, is that you’ve been sidelined with a disability, and they’re giving your coworker added benefits that you’re not receiving. I won a settlement from one former employer for an EEOC violation, and probably could have won against another one but I dropped it after getting a new job.

I like my company, I like my boss, but I really hate handling claims. I just have to survive two more months and I can start looking for other jobs in the company, though. That's manageable. Gotta keep telling myself that.

Thats how I feel about project management jobs. I liked my boss. I liked my coworkers. I got a lot of praise and was told I was good at it. I was bored stiff.

My manager is quitting the company. She is burned out from having too much put on her shoulders and fighting for good. No idea who I will get as a manager, but at least some of the worst options just got shuffled around so they will be staying there for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have this horrible flu. Can't even get out of bed. Morning girl knows this.

You know how Gmail will send you prompts to follow up when you send an email and get no response? Well, I sent an email to my boss asking to get my own email. Morning girl has her own email because she does some extra work for sales. I do plenty of extra work for editorial, but I still don't get my own email, I have to share with her. It doesn't help that she takes it upon herself to "manage" said email - which has included things like deleting an important message last week.

My boss hasn't replied to that email in five days (yeah), so Google sends a prompt... and morning girl intercepts it. So I get this text from morning girl about how I shouldn't get my own email, insinuating that I wouldn't miss so much if I were better at my job.

So I pushed back. Told her she was the only person who has ever told me I don't deserve my own email. Told her that it takes nothing away from her for me to get the tools I need to do my job. Told her it's up to our boss, not her. I got told that I was needlessly taking offense and overreacting.

New argument for getting my own personal email - I should be able to have private conversations with my boss without my co-worker getting into it. Not to mention the coworker who has the exact same job as me shouldn't be acting like my boss.

Now, I know we were Facebook friends this morning, I saw her in my news feed. I went to unfriend her, and saw she had already unfriended me. I mean, I wasn't exactly being the more mature person here, but Jesus.

8 hours ago, Iceheart said:

So, I have this horrible flu. Can't even get out of bed. Morning girl knows this.

You know how Gmail will send you prompts to follow up when you send an email and get no response? Well, I sent an email to my boss asking to get my own email. Morning girl has her own email because she does some extra work for sales. I do plenty of extra work for editorial, but I still don't get my own email, I have to share with her. It doesn't help that she takes it upon herself to "manage" said email - which has included things like deleting an important message last week.

My boss hasn't replied to that email in five days (yeah), so Google sends a prompt... and morning girl intercepts it. So I get this text from morning girl about how I shouldn't get my own email, insinuating that I wouldn't miss so much if I were better at my job.

So I pushed back. Told her she was the only person who has ever told me I don't deserve my own email. Told her that it takes nothing away from her for me to get the tools I need to do my job. Told her it's up to our boss, not her. I got told that I was needlessly taking offense and overreacting.

New argument for getting my own personal email - I should be able to have private conversations with my boss without my co-worker getting into it. Not to mention the coworker who has the exact same job as me shouldn't be acting like my boss.

Now, I know we were Facebook friends this morning, I saw her in my news feed. I went to unfriend her, and saw she had already unfriended me. I mean, I wasn't exactly being the more mature person here, but Jesus.

Seriously, I have a friend for this chick. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.