Vacation Destinations

Cerina

Now that we're back from Carlsbad, I want to start planning a new family vacation for the fall or early next year. 

We don't want to go to any major vacation destinations (no Disney or anything like that) because crowds and covid and cost and all that jazz. And we need to go somewhere that's going to be interesting to both the 13 year-old and the (by then) almost 6 year-old. 

Where do y'all recommend? 

Nowhere near you, but we’re planning our first vacation in years. We’re going to go to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.

San Diego, obviously. There's plenty for all ages to do. Eli and Luke can get together and destroy everything. Noah can enjoy the beach or zoo or Balboa Park or everything else. You've been here before and liked it a lot. And you're obviously still in love with me, so it works out.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:54 PM, Jacen123 said:

I’ll add Colorado Springs to the Colorado mix.  There’s plenty of cool stuff to do there, both indoor and outdoor.

I HATE Colorado Springs.  Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods are always packed.  Also, with it being home to quite a few major military installations (Ft. Carson, NORAD, Peterson AFB, Air Force Academy) and home to quite a few hate grou--I mean evangelical organizations such as Focus on the Family and the Ted Haggard church, it is quite...interesting...  My father's wife is black and the amount of blatant racism she puts up with on a daily basis when in these communities (she works for public utilities and does site visits for a variety of issues) make me physically ill. 

That being said, it probably has one of the top zoos in the country. 

2 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I HATE Colorado Springs.  Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods are always packed.  Also, with it being home to quite a few major military installations (Ft. Carson, NORAD, Peterson AFB, Air Force Academy) and home to quite a few hate grou--I mean evangelical organizations such as Focus on the Family and the Ted Haggard church, it is quite...interesting...  My father's wife is black and the amount of blatant racism she puts up with on a daily basis when in these communities (she works for public utilities and does site visits for a variety of issues) make me physically ill. 

That being said, it probably has one of the top zoos in the country. 

That makes enough sense, unfortunately.  We had a good trip there, but it was only a few days.   Garden of the Gods was definitely way too packed.  Pike's Peak wasn't bad when we went because you could really only access the top on a tour bus then due to construction.  We also went to the Olympic training facility, which was a cool experience.  I really wanted to go to Boulder after my conference in Denver, but we didn't end up having time to do so.

Plus, Reese is from Texas.  If there isn't racism floating around in the air, she might not know what is it like to breathe the clean air. ;)

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

oh we're talkin bout zoos

Does San Diego have a zoo?

58 minutes ago, Jacen123 said:

That makes enough sense, unfortunately.  We had a good trip there, but it was only a few days.   Garden of the Gods was definitely way too packed.  Pike's Peak wasn't bad when we went because you could really only access the top on a tour bus then due to construction.  We also went to the Olympic training facility, which was a cool experience.  I really wanted to go to Boulder after my conference in Denver, but we didn't end up having time to do so.

Plus, Reese is from Texas.  If there isn't racism floating around in the air, she might not know what is it like to breathe the clean air. ;)

Boulder is super cool...but it is as far left as Colorado Springs is right.  I consider myself a total libtard, but Boulder is out of control and is the most NIMBY place ever (at least in Colorado). 

I’ve heard stories about Boulder throughout my life because my parents used to live there and they have just occasionally gone back for various things.  I’ve also had some friends to went to school or worked there. It bummed me out we didn’t get to go there.  Hopefully, i can next time.

1 hour ago, Jacen123 said:

I’ve heard stories about Boulder throughout my life because my parents used to live there and they have just occasionally gone back for various things.  I’ve also had some friends to went to school or worked there. It bummed me out we didn’t get to go there.  Hopefully, i can next time.

I went to college in Boulder (CU) but I lived in Denver so I had to drive there 1-3 times a week.  Boulder has a cool downtown...and although not in Boulder, Red Rocks and Mt. Evans are nearby and much cooler and less crowded than their CS counterparts. 

Interesting note...Red Rocks/ Garden of the Gods/ Flat Irons is all part of an ancient mountain range that existed before the modern Rockies.  When the recent Rockies started moving up, it pushed the old mountain range up and that is why those rocks are side ways.   Anyways....I thought that was really fascinating. 

I think they're super crowded. Currently Yellowstone is looking for a d u m b a s s who teased a bear with her two cubs. Like WTF lady?

Tina and I stopped and stayed in Marfa to look at the Marfa lights. It was awesome. And with all the rain the Rio Grande is really green and full. It was a good side trip coming home from Tucson. I wanted to hit Sabino Canyon while in Arizona but was too busy. Next time we are going to stop in Balmorhea Texas to see the biggest swimming pool.

2 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I think they're super crowded. Currently Yellowstone is looking for a d u m b a s s who teased a bear with her two cubs. Like WTF lady?

Tina and I stopped and stayed in Marfa to look at the Marfa lights. It was awesome. And with all the rain the Rio Grande is really green and full. It was a good side trip coming home from Tucson. I wanted to hit Sabino Canyon while in Arizona but was too busy. Next time we are going to stop in Balmorhea Texas to see the biggest swimming pool.

Way to piss all over my awesome idea, Spam.  :p

On 6/3/2021 at 2:32 PM, Cerina said:

Now that we're back from Carlsbad, I want to start planning a new family vacation for the fall or early next year. 

We don't want to go to any major vacation destinations (no Disney or anything like that) because crowds and covid and cost and all that jazz. And we need to go somewhere that's going to be interesting to both the 13 year-old and the (by then) almost 6 year-old. 

Where do y'all recommend? 

Ahem.

If you are traveling to Grand Rapids, MI in late September/Early October, you will be here for the grand return of ArtPrize, where thousands of artists from all over the world enter their wackadoodle shit for a huge cash prize. You will also be here for the grand return of Festival of the Arts, which should be and is kinda sorta happening this weekend, but they delayed the food booths, vendors, and major performances until the fall, which will happen to happen right in the middle of ArtPrize. Another local art collective, Site:Lab is taking over the local nature center for a night and are incorporating art, performance art, and music into the trails. The last time they did this was one of the best and most fun nights of my life. Again, all happening concurrently.

Even if you have zero interest in an entire city becoming a gigantic carnival spectacle, we also have the Grand Rapids Public Museum, the Grand Rapids Art Museum, the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts, The Grand Rapids Children’s Museum (Luke will ADORE it), The Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum (only one of the most famous Boy Scouts), the Frederick Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, the John Ball Zoo, and Blandford Nature Center (which has a working farm and 1800’s historical re-enactments in addition to the standard nature trails).

And then about a half-hour drive west is Lake Michigan. We’ve swam into October before, so it may or may not be swimmable, but it is definitely hikeable and the trees will be starting to turn by then. And we can tour the Hudsonville Ice Cream Factory. I may even be able to take you to the peacock farm.

And Trevor will like that there are hundreds of craft beer breweries around here. I will definitely have to take you to Founder’s taproom, and to my other many favorites. The kids are welcome, too, as long as we’re there before 9pm.

You’ll have to leave Trevor and the boys with my dad one night so we can go to a Mod Bettie event, tho :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.