Cruel Summer

Cerina

• 2 weeks later...

I finally read a brief description of the show and it kinda sounds like it’s completely my jam. I just hope it’s appropriately cheesy.

I'm enjoying it so far.  Love that you always hear the modem connecting at the beginning of each episode.  Just a couple episodes left as it will be interesting to see what they are building to and how they sustain it for a possible next season.

It's a cruel, (cruel), cruel summer Leaving me here on my own

It's a cruel, (it's a cruel), cruel summer Now you're gone

True story.  A couple years ago, when I was waiting for stomach surgery, I was watching Karate Kid in the waiting room before they wheeled me in.   As you know. Cruel Summer is played in that movie.  When I was being wheeled into the recovery room, but was still out of it, I was cracking the nurses up because I singing Cruel Summer.  LOL!

3 hours ago, Iceheart said:

OMG Kate is a lying lieface liar.

Something tells me they're holding Annabelle for season 2. It looks like next week is the season finale.

She IS!! 

I really hope they don't keep Annabelle for next season, but also, what on earth can they do for next season? I really wish these shows with a season-long mystery didn't always have to have a season 2. Sometimes, one story is enough. 

I’m on episode 5. Work this week has been moments of insanity followed by hours of nothing. 

I think that the only way to make a show like this work as a multi-season show is to do something completely different. Keep with the 90s and a mystery, but all new characters and a new story. It won’t happen, but that’s the way to make it work.

Hey anything can happen in magical small Texas towns where a white woman can marry a black guy and gain social status...and where they have basements. :shrug:

Honestly, I think the only person on this show who isn't a lying liarface is Vincent. The biggest twist they could have at this point is having Vincent be the mastermind behind it all. 

I know nothing about this show except for this thread.  I don't even know where to watch the show.  I don't want to google it in being afraid I will not want to watch it...so just tell me where to watch it and I will...

That being said, I better hear some Bananarama or at least the Ace of Base cover. 

It’s better than expected, but if it was longer than 10 episodes it wouldn’t work at all. I like the way they’re slowly laying things out, though. The method of telling the story is more compelling than the story itself.

On another network, this show could have been epic. The concept is intriguing enough. 

But Freeform is for tweens and teens, and you can tell that they wanted to do dark and twisted without being too dark and twisted. So by the end it's like elephant grey and slightly bent to the left. 

My biggest beef is the way they portrayed the LGBTQ characters actually. What a waste. Maybe season 2 will pick that up a bit. 

I felt like they tweened it up so they could depict grooming and get it in front of the eyes of children who may be groomed so they can see themselves and get help. I went into this knowing that the characters may be my age, but I’m not the target audience.

Also, everyone is way cooler about the queer characters than they would have been in the actual 90’s. Did anyone mention AIDS at all in this show? You couldn’t say “gay” without saying “AIDS” in the same breath back then. 

I looked into it a little, and apparently they have no idea what season 2 will look like yet. But they are talking about making it an anthology.

2 hours ago, Iceheart said:

I felt like they tweened it up so they could depict grooming and get it in front of the eyes of children who may be groomed so they can see themselves and get help. I went into this knowing that the characters may be my age, but I’m not the target audience.

Also, everyone is way cooler about the queer characters than they would have been in the actual 90’s. Did anyone mention AIDS at all in this show? You couldn’t say “gay” without saying “AIDS” in the same breath back then. 

I looked into it a little, and apparently they have no idea what season 2 will look like yet. But they are talking about making it an anthology.

I was in theater and therefore knew a lot of gay / bi kids. Of course this started towards the end of the show, and wasn’t in Texas, but AIDS was never really brought up by us or by others. But come to think of it, for a super racist place, we were mostly pretty progressive on sexuality.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.