Loki (TV Series)

Rogue 3

I for one am really looking forward to this series dropping on the 9th June - having not featured much in the Infinity War / Endgame films, it will be good to see him back, especially the earlier version of him before he (kind of) started mending his ways!

Here's the original trailer:

And a new one dropped yesterday as well focusing more on Owen Wilson's Agent Mobius:

Just looks great fun and I am a big fan of time travel in my sci-fi series, so I really hope this lives up to expectations!

I like it less that it's pre-character growth Loki. He had several movies worth of development and we're reverting all the way back to the beginning, essentially. Like Seth I'm definitely watching it, but it's not what I would have hoped for. Also kinda over space in the MCU and time travel in general.

37 minutes ago, Tank said:

I’ll def watch it, but I never thought Loki was THAT interesting.

I could have said the same thing about Wanda and Vision.

I'm an old school Wanda fan, but your point is valid. And I know he has legion of female fans./ I think Hiddleson is a great actor, and Loki is always fun. It just also seemed like he was at best a foil for Thor. All his defining characteristics were designed to be counterpoints to Thor. Maybe this show will let him be defined better-- that would be the best case scenario. I'd be shocked if it wasn't good, Marvel hits more than misses. 

Just-- you know.... I am weary of multi-verse stories and he never was somebody that I looked at and said I WANT HIM AND JUST HIM.

If you’re weary of multi-verse stories, it seems like you might no be in for this next phase, but we’ll see.

Yeah, I am very wary. I think for me, it's that so many franchises I loved at one point (DC, Star Trek, and X-Men come to mind) utterly ruined themselves by abusing the trope. Stories that are just straight up based on (like say Sliders) annoy the hell out of me because nothing matters ultimately. Any drama can be reset in a second.

That said, when it is done well, which is rare, they can be really great. Into The Spider-verse or Wildstorm's Planetary for example crushed it. 

So we'll see. Oddly, I love time travel stories with alternate timelines which is similar, but those always come with stakes built into them I guess.  

I didn't think it was bad, I just think that it kind of turned into paint-by-numbers Marvel in most aspects.

There were some solid action set-pieces, possibly some of the best there's ever been in the MCU.  That chase scene in the first episode and that truck fight were amazing.  Also, they really had some good thesis ideas for dealing with a lot of important topics.  But it felt like they weren't bold enough to say anything about those topics, and were more interested in being a standard MCU four-quadrant crowd pleaser.  At the end of episode two, I thought this was going to be something really special.  But a few more episodes in, it just felt like a lot of bland filler to get Sam into the suit.

After WandaVision, I kind of expected it to be more fresh or have something more to say.  In the alternate universe where Falcon and Winter Soldier came first, I might have felt differently.  But the first real MCU TV show set up big expectations for me that Falcon and Winter Soldier didn't meet very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well! I thought that was a strong opener myself. Enjoyed the fun that was had with the main characters and some really good emotional moments for Loki brought in at key stages - will hold off on spoilers just for now.

Hope we can keep this going through the remaining 5 episodes - an interesting revelation at the end which will be good to find out more information on.

Yeah that was fun. Probably the best score of any of these shows so far too. I'm glad they quickly got Loki to see his normal timeline self out of the way and didn't drag it out all season. I also definitely don't think the Big Bad is another version of Loki, even though I've heard they've cast old, female, and Kid Lokis. The stained glass hinted at Mephisto but I don't think it's him, either.

Yeah I thought this was a lot of fun. Loki is far from my favourite character but the Marvel material I’ve enjoyed the most has been the more out there, fun and light outings like Guardians and Ragnarok, which this looks to be leaning close to. Credit to them though, the variety of content we’ve gotten from the D+ shows has been great so far. 

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

The stained glass hinted at Mephisto but I don't think it's him, either.

At first I thought that might be a little fun jab at all the WandaVision theories about Mephisto, but after they mentioned the other Loki variant I think the stained glass was meant to hint more at Loki with his horned helmet. 

I like that the series appears to be weird. I dig the 50s/60s sorta aesthetic to the TVA, it reminds me a lot of the Fallout franchise which I also like. I like the telegraphing, maybe I guess, that the TVA is freaking fascist or something with those uniforms.

I like that while the TVA insists there can be only one timeline (sorta like how the Russo‘s also insisted with Endgame) there are obviously still multiple timelines. Also, given that, the series appears to say that the natural nature of time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a multiple timeline / multiple universe which is then artificially pruned… which opens up a lot of interesting ways to play.

I like that Loki comes to the conclusion that ultimate power is controlling time, and I like that Loki’s purpose (or a Loki’s purpose that is, I guess if there is an actual distinction to be made) appears to be to seize control from these artificial pruners… whether Loki intends to free up time or dominate it I guess maybe is the journey we’re on. If it is to free up time from the oppressive pruners, then Loki can be seen as the anti-hero that Disney seems to want to market, defeating time pruners to let time run wild and free is sorta the ultimate anarchist tale.

As predicted, once I watched it. I liked. Nothing new to add really-- am curious to see where it goes

I too love the 60s-ish mod-vine of the TVA. It has Fallout vibes for sure-- even more so, not sure if anyone else has played the video game CONTROL, but it all takes place in a dimensionally haunted office of a similar type of agency, and the vibe is much the same. So the same that somebody might be getting sued.

I really enjoyed this episode.  I am cautiously optimistic.  I always think the trope of the ultimate power having little significance in the bigger picture (like Tom Bombadil in LotR) is kind of cool.  I wonder if we actually find out Loki fakes his own death with Thanos to get freedom or something. 

The twist was neat. I'm not really familiar with the comics or any leaks for this show so it took me by surprise. 

Also, forgot to mention this but another thing I liked from the first episodes was how Loki came to the realisation this was the "ultimate power" after seeing the Infinity Stones as just paper weights. Loved that there were more of the time stone than any other, and that some poor sucker had made the ultimate sacrifice for the soul stone only to have it picked up by the TVA later. 

On the TVA - does this mean the Avengers didn't really need to worry themselves too much about accidentally creating multiverses in Endgame because the TVA would clean it up anyway? Not that they were to know that of course. 

Quiet on here, but I have to say I am really enjoying this.
Just caught up with the 3rd episode (been on hols), and what a great concept with the location they ended up at (avoiding spoilers).
Enjoyed seeing the 2 of them together and chatting through personal histories, powers and general winding up of each other. 
Can’t wait for episode 4!

I’m starting to have too many questions. How can She Loki have a different name, origin story, no connection to Asgard or Odin, when variants come from a skewed timeline.

Also, this Loki exists because of the Avengers messing about time, but he’s essentially the same is OG Loki.

This isn’t making a ton of sense.

11 hours ago, Hobbes said:

My prediction is Loki is being hypnotized or whatever by that female Loki or whatever since the mall.

Yep, I would agree with that - crossed my mind while watching.

Or (less likely maybe), that it is an illusion from “our” Loki based on the apocalypse he read about. But looking forward to finding out! Lots of answers to come.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.