Republican Party Implosion

Cerina

I feel like politicians everywhere are super centrist. Like our left and right are still super middle of the road. Anything that begins to stray outside of the accepted boundaries of contemporary political discourse gets branded either communist or fascist and therefore immediately shut down and the status quo resumes. Or if someone tries to communicate an idea of governance that doesn't utilise the current systems or tries to dismantle/circumvent/change the way we do things they're branded a nut job or something.

Sorry just rambling thoughts but had no idea where to put them.

2 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I would like them to spend more on infrastructure. New bridges and less traffic is awesome!

I would like to see bullet trains and more mass transit, and technology infrastructure, alongside modernizing roads bridges and freight rail rays. Future proof the fuck out of major cities and modernize smaller cities, or at the very least, catch up to China and Europe.   This shit of "let the private sector do it," just ain't fucking working. 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:41 PM, Fozzie said:

Look at his list of moderates. If that’s his idea of being moderate, he’s a Republican who doesn’t like Trump. Because none of those people are remotely moderate, they’re all just anti-Trump Republicans, even though Gabbard pretends to be a Democrat

Pro 2A
Pro Choice
Pro Immigration
Pro LGBT
Anti Taxes
Anti religion

You really think I'm a Republican? I'm a moderate who has voted for both parties (as well as Libertarian).  If the candidates I cited aren't "moderate" then by tell who is in your view?

28 minutes ago, Odine said:

I feel like politicians everywhere are super centrist. Like our left and right are still super middle of the road. Anything that begins to stray outside of the accepted boundaries of contemporary political discourse gets branded either communist or fascist and therefore immediately shut down and the status quo resumes. Or if someone tries to communicate an idea of governance that doesn't utilise the current systems or tries to dismantle/circumvent/change the way we do things they're branded a nut job or something.

Sorry just rambling thoughts but had no idea where to put them.

It's true.  The US Presidency has traditionally been centrist no matter who is in office.  Policies set by one party get continued by the other party,  unless they are dumb policies like what Biden repealed.  But generally, they agree in practice, and only disagree during election time. 

7 minutes ago, Zathras said:

It's true.  The US Presidency has traditionally been centrist no matter who is in office.  Policies set by one party get continued by the other party,  unless they are dumb policies like what Biden repealed.  But generally, they agree in practice, and only disagree during election time. 

Traditionally yes. Until Trump took office. And started doing stupid shit like rolling back clean water and air regulations, the remain in Mexico policies, the kids in cages, withholding aid from the Ukraine, inciting insurrections, tax cuts for corporations rather then the middle and lower class. While I agreed with him on a few policies overall his presidency was a study in fringe right wing failed policies and trickle down economics. He pushed the political pendulum so far right it was destined to snap back hard to the left. The result being a blue house, an even senate, and a centrist President who is susceptible to the vocal far left elected officials in his party. And that is what I mean by the Dems have too much power right now.  As much as I despise Trump... the fact that he was able to seat 3 justices gives me some comfort that the SC will strike down anything too radical. 

25 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I would like to see bullet trains and more mass transit, and technology infrastructure, alongside modernizing roads bridges and freight rail rays. Future proof the fuck out of major cities and modernize smaller cities, or at the very least, catch up to China and Europe.   This shit of "let the private sector do it," just ain't fucking working. 

First and foremost we MUST beef up cyber security. China and Russia have already shown they can hack our electrical and energy supplies and shut them off. The electrical grid has to be completely overhauled if it's going to handle the push towards EV transportation and a forced reduction of ICE vehicles. The current grid simply cannot support the spike in draw that an EV future will demand. Powerlines need to be protected and re-routed underground, cyber security needs to be military grade level, and a strong push towards nuclear power has to happen to accommodate the amount of draw they are predicting. 

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

Honestly with the trucker shortage I can see upgrades to help "non-person" driven trucks stay in their own lanes and use the highway safely. That would be awesome. 

There's some bridges around here that are weak and one good colossal rain away from washing away. Some company invented a cheaper way to make those stronger using carbon fibers and a 3D printer which I think is pretty damn spiffy.

14 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

Honestly with the trucker shortage I can see upgrades to help "non-person" driven trucks stay in their own lanes and use the highway safely. That would be awesome. 

There's some bridges around here that are weak and one good colossal rain away from washing away. Some company invented a cheaper way to make those stronger using carbon fibers and a 3D printer which I think is pretty damn spiffy.

Yeah we need to repair our bridges and roads for sure.  Ports too.  I also agree the power grid needs major overhauls and security upgrades. I am kind of against driverless vehicles on principle, though.  It is inevitable they will be integrated into the workforce as tech progresses and gets better. They won't be going away, but each driverless vehicle takes a job away from someone, which is not cool.   

On 5/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, Zathras said:

Yeah we need to repair our bridges and roads for sure.  Ports too.  I also agree the power grid needs major overhauls and security upgrades. I am kind of against driverless vehicles on principle, though.  It is inevitable they will be integrated into the workforce as tech progresses and gets better. They won't be going away, but each driverless vehicle takes a job away from someone, which is not cool.   

While I agree with you on principal. The selfish part of me longs for the day that a vehicle no longer needs my input. The 30 min drive to work I do everyday can be utilized to read a book, watch a movie, take a nap, jerk off... or whatever. Imagine a world where transportation is no longer a primary attentive responsibility. It's probably a long ways off. But dammit I want it so bad...

Ride public transit.  People jerk off on that all the time.

Back to the GOP. What I find astounding is that Trump lost handily, yet the GOP still cow tows to him, and spews the lie that it was a stolen election.  We all know why...because the republicans in Congress are afraid of Trump and his followers challenging and unseating them.  They are all focused on the short term as in the 2022 and 2024 elections.  In the long term, these republicans are hurting themselves, though.  Except for Grover Cleveland, there has never been a president who lost an election to come back and win another election.   Trump is so polarizing and after Jan 6th, I don't believe there are enough voters to ever put him back in office.   So, it astounds me that the GOP still caters to this fool.  

Trumpish candidates are gonna do well in primaries, but unless it's a very Republican district/state I think they'll have a tough time winning most generals. They definitely WILL win some, and in fact I think the GOP has the edge in taking back both houses of Congress, but I think (hope) Trump bullshit might fade away faster than we think.

He's certainly been neutered with his social media ban. Trump managed to radicalize the Republican party, and I'm not sure he even believes in half of their tenets, but he wants to be worshipped. Some of those elements have now been emboldened by him. Life certainly seems a little calmer with him gone, but I think we will see an increase in rhetoric by the party for 2022. If the Democrats can hold them off, they might have to change their strategies.

We gotta do something about gerrymandering, though. That is ridiculous. Democrats need to grow a pair and fix it.

8 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Trumpish candidates are gonna do well in primaries, but unless it's a very Republican district/state I think they'll have a tough time winning most generals. They definitely WILL win some, and in fact I think the GOP has the edge in taking back both houses of Congress, but I think (hope) Trump bullshit might fade away faster than we think.

I hope so.  Not that I would vote republican, but having one entire political party acting like petulant children does nobody any favors.  The GOP needs to drop Trump, as well as Mitch McConnell.

23 hours ago, Zathras said:

I hope so.  Not that I would vote republican, but having one entire political party acting like petulant children does nobody any favors.  The GOP needs to drop Trump, as well as Mitch McConnell.

So you pull the blue master lever every 4 years? How about utilizing some critical thinking rather then conforming to blind party devotion? How about evaluating the issues one by one rather then blindly succumbing to your political gods? I equally hate both parties while I hold my nose and cast my vote for the lesser of two evils. Sadly this country is still enthralled by the political duopoly, but your mindless voting doesn't help the situation. How is it Europe has managed to have multiple parties represented in their deliberative halls and we are still stuck in this two party nonsense? Entertain the thought of voting third party...whether it's Green, Moderate, Libertarian... stop conforming to the same old same old. You ARE the problem...

I vote third party almost exclusively when possible.  But as long as the GOP is the party of Trump, I’m out. Maybe someone like DeWine, who is a better example of a moderate Republican. I worked for both DeWine and Kasich, and Kasich was not moderate at all. 

43 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I vote third party almost exclusively when possible.  But as long as the GOP is the party of Trump, I’m out. Maybe someone like DeWine, who is a better example of a moderate Republican. I worked for both DeWine and Kasich, and Kasich was not moderate at all. 

You and me both. Kasich is not the party of Trump, he has opposed him at every turn. Is he conservative.. yes. Did he mishandle the HIV outbreak in Indiana. Yes ( my B it was Pence). But he is about as moderate a Republican as you can expect at this point. Dewine is not a serious political candidate for President. 

25 minutes ago, Shockey666 said:

You and me both. Kasich is not the party of Trump, he has opposed him at every turn. Is he conservative.. yes. Did he mishandle the HIV outbreak in Indiana. Yes. But he is about as moderate a Republican as you can expect at this point. Dewine is not a serious political candidate for President. 

I’m not talking presidential politics, I’m talking in general. Ohio Republicans other than DeWine are Trumpists now. I live in Ohio, as is probably evident from working for two different Ohio governors.

Kasich did Medicaid expansion and didn’t suck up to Trump. On no other issue is he remotely moderate, unless by moderate you just mean anti-Trump. In that case, yeah.

6 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I’m not talking presidential politics, I’m talking in general. Ohio Republicans other than DeWine are Trumpists now. I live in Ohio, as is probably evident from working for two different Ohio governors.

Kasich did Medicaid expansion and didn’t suck up to Trump. On no other issue is he remotely moderate, unless by moderate you just mean anti-Trump. In that case, yeah.

Compared to the Desantis, Cruz, and Rubio type candidates we are bound to entertain in 2024 aside from Trump I would take a Kasich, Amash, Gabbard, Sinema, and Charlie Baker nominations over the current crop of garbage..... no?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.