For All Mankind

Dark Wader

Couldn’t find a thread about this so sorry if already posted.

Anyone been watching this/kept up to date? (Unfortunately as it’s AppleTV I’m not finding many people have, understandably.)

I watched the first season a couple of months ago and while slow to start, really enjoyed it. Season 2 just finished up last week and while the majority of the season was somewhat disappointing, that finale was grand. 

It kind of felt like the whole season was just building up to that one episode - and as good as it was, not sure it was worth the 9 episode lead up either but I’ll take it.

I mean the ending wasn’t surprising - both the resolution to tensions with Russia and the S3 teaser were choreographed early on in the season but the way the action played out made for terrific TV. The Tracey and Gordo scene is one of those scenes I’ll remember along with some of the other greats.

Only thing I didn’t like was the stand off with Ed on the shuttle. That was just drama for the sake of it - he’d already changed the coordinates so don’t get why he wouldn’t of just said something.

Anyway, looking forward to Season 3. This one has ended up being one of the better Ron Moore projects I think, slow as it can be. 

It's great to hear your thoughts on it!  We got a free year of Apple TV+ for buying a new Apple TV device, but haven't used it so much because we also have Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max (which we also get included with our internet/tv package).  We want to finish up some other shows before we go to new ones, but I've thought For All Mankind looked great as soon as I saw the trailer when our trial started.  I don't think my wife will like it if it is that slow, but it seems exactly like the type of show I would just sucked into.

• 2 months later...

Saw this. While plugging away on the stationary bike, mind mostly vacant, but a few thoughts nonetheless:

1) You'd think it'd get kind of old to just watch these characters overcome obstacles (and themselves!) while a Top 40 hit plays on the soundtrack. It doesn't! Can't wait for more of it! Every time a rocket blasts off, fun. Every time they use their deepfake tech to alter existing footage, fun. Every time they'd kill off a 'real' person, fun.

2) Every single thing I looked up that seemed implausible at first blush ended up being absolutely real, or real enough for my purposes. Like, for example : the thing with the lunar regolith and the CME (1) (2) (3). By the end of it I was wondering if moonbases on the moon really would have Earth-like gravity. Of course, they wouldn't, but there's a limit to how far they'll go and ultimately a vague sense of verisimilitude is more important for these things than the sort of actual factual strict adherence to a mimetic representation of reality that'd be both prohibitively expensive and almost completely unparsable to 99% of the audience. But my point is that every time I thought they were dragging their feet, afraid to cross those limits, it ended up being that they'd actually stuck their toe across the line, what we were seeing on screen was close to what could’ve really happened.

3) I naturally expected that there’d be online discussion out there about what was real, what was fake, how the show’s alternate timeline could’ve unfolded, that sort of thing. Of course, right? But what I expected to find and DIDN’T, and this kind of leaves me flabbergasted, is constant and serious fevered speculation over whether or not Pam the bartender is a secret undercover KGB agent. I’m not saying she is, I’m not saying she isn’t, I’m saying that there should be chitter chatter online about this. Where’s all my Pam theories!? Pretty much from the second episode or so of the first season I was pretty sure there’d be talk on the Internet about her being an undercover Soviet asset. But if there is, if it’s out there, I can’t find it.

4) Joel Kinnaman is terrible in the first year and absolutely AMAZING in the second year. His performance is so wooden and hollow when he’s playing a young man (like everything else I’ve ever seen him in, really) and just incredibly engaging to watch when he’s playing an older guy, a guy who’s suffered, a guy who’s had to make hard choices. He’s a great actor! He just has to play somebody other than Robocop, or that guy in those final seasons of the Netflix adaptation of House of Cards, or Rick Flagg in Suicide Squad. Wait, ImdB is telling me he’s Swedish and … Jewish!?? (My other big opinion about the boys on this outer space show is that it's kind of sad how ten years ago Jeff Hephner was playing hot young white hope roles, like he was on Boss, and now he's already aged up into being the rich old man w/younger famous wife.)  (Oh, wait, I have a few more boys opinions : Saul Rubinek shows up for an episode as a Congressman, James Urbaniak is on the show as a FBI spook, Michael Harney is a TV newscaster. My opinion is that they're great, I love seeing 'em on screen, hope they get to go Mars in Season 3. Okay. That's it. That's enough. No more boys.)

5) WUBBO IS REAL!!!!????????????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.