The Bad Batch

Rogue 3

Not too much longer to wait for this new series on Disney+ with the debut on Star Wars day itself!   70 minute opener - Tuesday's don't get better than that!  Then future episodes dropping on Friday's thereafter.

Here is the trailer:

And for anyone who missed these guys introduction, you can catch then by watching the opening segment of the Final Series of The Clone Wars (Series 7, Episodes 1 to 4).

• 3 weeks later...

May the 4th be with you all as always!  

End of the day in the UK, so just been able to watch this first episode.   I liked it - off to a nice dramatic start with the Order 66 instruction kicking in early and some interesting developments.   Dee Bradley Baker - got to take your hat off to this guy for doing so many voices and keeping them similar but different for the "reg's" and then having a blast with the Bad Batch variations!

Fingers crossed this keeps up the good start.

Yeah, it wasn't quite there was it!  I assume they must have put it through some editing to make it sound younger, but all the same, a nice touch to get the original actor to reprise the role (will avoid saying spoilers just for now).   

I recalled “Caleb” and recognized the voice. Great link to establish the placement of the show.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it may skew a bit young for me. They whole over-characterization thing is kinda annoying. The big guy likes to fight and is dumb! The nerdy guy with the techy call sign is the smart one, etc.

What was the point of the last episode? They went to some planet and talked to some guy and forged some chain codes(?) and tried to pawn off Omega on some family and she was all "Hells no, you're my fam now, fam!" and then they ... flew away? 

Impressions from the episode:

-I still don't know the clones' names. There's The Smart One, The Kinda Lobot One (wait, they might be the same person; they kinda blend together), The Big Dumb Strong One, The Leader with the Heart of Gold, and Omeeeeega (The Kiwi Kid?).  Menacing One who looks like Titus Welliver is back on Kamino doing ... something?

-Tattoojakku again (from space)? No, it's Desert Planet with penis plants/puffballs. And wildlife.

-Nekkid chickens like on Tattooine! Jabba thumped one in Ep1: The Fandom Menace. Lol Jabba.

-Boring 

-Boring 

-Skip 

-Wait, is that dude fucking a Twilek? No way.

-They have kids. He's totally fucking a Twilek. And they're cross-fertile. Star Wars biology is problematic.

-Boring 

-Girly crossed the fence. Wait, isn't that the same kind of lizardcat thingy that tried to rip Padme's clothes off in Ep2: No Clones Attacked? Is it the same lizardcat thing? Probably, cuz Star Wars 

-Boring 

-Easy peasy steal the things 

-Pew pew pew pew pew! Shenanigans! "Move along."

-Ima just leave you with this Twilek-fucker and his family, so bye!

-Uh uh, I'm coming with you

-And roll credits.

Sigh. I really want to like this show.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but none of the animated shows have been remotely appealing to me. People tell me they get better, but the first seasons are always bad. 

On 5/23/2021 at 5:57 PM, Fozzie said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but none of the animated shows have been remotely appealing to me. People tell me they get better, but the first seasons are always bad. 

This is definitely the Seinfeld of animated Star Wars series... Except for maybe that show about pilots in the sequel era. At least this one is watchable.

Oh yeah, that series was very poor. Resistance was it called? That bad I don’t recall properly.

Rebels had its very good moments but was a bit of a chore at times.

Clone Wars is superb - even the “quieter” political episodes would give you something interesting in seeing all the areas that Palpatine took total control of before ROTS.

Be interesting to see where they go with this one. A slow start, but it’s a longer series than Mando, so that’s fine for me at the mo. 

Obvs Wrecker is starting to have chip issues, and maybe in the future it might jump a few years to see Omega grow up and move us closer to the pre ANH era maybe. Few options to link in with elements of the upcoming new series maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

This show feels like an entire season of filler episodes. Is there supposed to be a point or overall direction they're going? So far it's just been the BB wandering around with no real purpose. I imagine they're saving something for the last couple episodes.

5 hours ago, Dom said:

This show feels like an entire season of filler episodes. Is there supposed to be a point or overall direction they're going? So far it's just been the BB wandering around with no real purpose. I imagine they're saving something for the last couple episodes.

I said the same thing above-- and it's why me and the kid bailed. I've heard some bigger stuff has come up-- but the thought of going through the filler to catch up just seems like a waste of time. I just don't care enough about these characters. Rebels set a high bar, Mando even higher. This just isn't even close.

I haven't watched the show or most of the Clone Wars, so I really am just speaking in more generalities here, but is it a problem that show is generally not progressing towards a larger narrative?  Most shows on tv historically (and even now, despite the rise of serialization) don't have plots that keep advancing onward, but rather show the characters in some situation and how they respond to it.  It's great that we have shows that have moved beyond that style, but is there not room for that type of show without just dismissing it as "filler", but instead people realizing that its just not for them?  I realize that you have said that its just not for you, so you're not the audience I am directly addressing with that complaint.  I just get annoyed by everyone calling episodes "filler" all the time as if that is necessarily a problem, especially when a show is made up almost entirely of such episodes, as it seems is the case here.

I hear you— the stand-alone episode is a lost art. Last time I watched TNG I was reminded how simple and enjoyable it can be to not have to track serialized narrative.

CW had plenty of stand-alone episodes, Rebels had a few. For me, the term “filler” only applies when it is clear a show that wants to be serialized doesn’t have enough story to do it, so they put one-offs between serial installments, AND the episodes are no good.

X-Files is a great example of a show that would alternate mythology driven serialized episodes with stand alones. It was only filler when the stand alones were bad.

In the Bad Batch’s case it seems they have a story to tell but only start getting to it after half a dozen episodes of stories that seem left over from CW. 

Gotcha.  I've also seen plenty of shows that start off with seemingly no real overall arc that just build the characters for the first half or so of the first season and only then really start to kick it into gear.  I've especially seen that with Whedon or Whedon-ish shows, which worked okay when networks were patient, but not otherwise.  The complaints I had heard about this show seemed to fall in line with that (but possibly without good characters), so I was confused.  I've definitely been bothered by episodes that didn't seem to have any purpose at all, like the infamous tattoo episode of Lost, but I see the term thrown around so much now when episodes stop progressing the plot for a bit to focus on characters even if the episodes are good that it just start grating me a bit when I see it.

I also agree completely about TNG.  I've never seen most of the series, but have gradually been making it through it on Netflix now.  A few years back, when I was having massive anxiety issues, I binged DS9 and enjoyed it so much in part because of the serialization, but I'm not binging TNG and am only watching it when I feel like watching something without having to keep track of long story-arcs.  It is absolutely great for that style of watching.

Thanks for clearing things up about this.  I've barely even watched any of CW, though I am planning on catching up with it this summer.  I always got started on DVD and then forgot where I left off in between large breaks from it.  Then I started making progress on Netflix, but progress was wiped out with the switch to Disney+.  Fortunately, I should be able to keep track of it now.

I don't mind it to be honest - quite enjoying the easy watching, short length episodes, and they have pushed the characters on in terms of what their role is in this new "post Order 66" world for a clone.   

The last couple of episodes (Cad Bane's intro, and other key items that happened following them meeting up with Rex), have been enjoyable, although maybe it speaks volumes that last weeks episode was arguably the best so far and it barely featured the Bad Batch.

But I am happily continuing with this and still look forward to the episode dropping on Fridays.  Not sure if it appeals to the younger audience or not to be honest - I'm 44 and my daughter is only 3, so no insights there!  Ha ha!

I wonder why, instead of creating a separate team of clones for the Bad Batch, they didn't just use some existing ones. They could have made the series about Rex and the other clones that had the Order 66 implants removed (they would just call themselves the BB as their squad name).

I guess it made the key plot point of them not being subject to the Order 66 chip as they are "defective" clones easier, but they could have got round that as they did with Rex in the final episodes of Clone Wars.   

Plus it gives a bit more freedom in the characters being at risk as we know Rex survives to ROTJ era but probs simply down to selling more merch!  Ha ha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ahh - not much love for this one on here. Might benefit from a binge watch maybe now that all episodes from S1 are out there.

Final episode was last Friday and I thought what that did with the location they were at was suitably sad despite what was done there.

I liked what they did with this first series in setting up the early elements of the rebellion and Crosshairs interesting character development.

Special mention to Dee Bradley Baker and his voice talents. Hope he got paid well for doing all those characters and making them so different!

• 1 year later...

Nothing about the new season? So far nothing that interesting has happened. Episode 3 has been the best one, with Crosshair and Cody. Hints that Crosshair may change sides eventually?

And I spotted a reference in episode 5! The scene where Phee is about to pick up the stone, it pans back to Omega with her hands out like Satipo was in Raiders when Indy was about to grab the idol.

Yeah, with you there. Crosshair & Cody was excellent - the rest not so much. Last one had potential with the treasure hunt, but just petered out a bit. 

Kamimo stories from last season were very nice, so hopefully we have some good ones to come. I do like the characters.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.