Very Important GI Joe Question

Tank

Generic white-guy trying to make a kung-fu movie. Nothing new or interesting. 

In short, yeah, it looks terrible.

It's doable, they just need convinced they don't have to try to rip off the visual style of F&F.   

I would have thought that the obvious hint for a hit movie would be to rip from the comic.  By that,I mean the tone.  But many of the storylines could be translated as well.   Add some realism but keep the action and some minor sci fi elements as they relate to cobra's secret weapon and some of the Joe vehicles and weaponry.   It's soooo doable. 

Yea Snake Eyes trailer was disappointing. Hollywood hardly ever does right by my 80's cartoons. Michael Bay Destroyed Transformers (although Bumble Bee was awesome). Aside from Megan Fox the 1st 3 movies are garbage. Both GI Joe films this far have been meh. I have no faith Snake Eyes will be anything noteworthy. 

Anyway why are we back to talking about Destro? As far as villain's go Zartan was way more interesting then chrome dome...

On 5/18/2021 at 12:06 PM, Jedigoat said:

It's doable, they just need convinced they don't have to try to rip off the visual style of F&F.   

I would have thought that the obvious hint for a hit movie would be to rip from the comic.  By that,I mean the tone.  But many of the storylines could be translated as well.   Add some realism but keep the action and some minor sci fi elements as they relate to cobra's secret weapon and some of the Joe vehicles and weaponry.   It's soooo doable. 

They should have hired Larry Hama to pen this.  The trailer seems almost like they combined Snake Eyes with Storm Shadow. Also, I think there is something lost with omitting the idea that the Joes, Snake Eyes in particular, were Viet Nam vets.  I mean you can sub in Iraq war I suppose, but Snake Eyes being a  Viet Nam vet who served with Stalker and Storm Shadow, and was wounded in the face just seems more true to the character than this trailer is. 

• 1 month later...

Actually I would combine both of those into a CGI animated serialized show, based on the lore established Larry Hamma's comic version of GI Joe, and do something like the GI Joe Special Missions.  I'd prefer the Joe team and Cobra already established, not beginning with an origin story.  It would be OK to do flashbacks as the series progresses, but I don't dig everything having to have an origin story these days,  especially when everyone and their brother is connected somehow.  That is why the first live action movie didn't work for me. 

The comedy is that the original cartoon LITERALLY gave you the origin story in the opening credits in such a clean and simple way that even a second grader could grasp it.

”GI JOE is the the code name for America’s daring, highly trained special missions force. It’s purpose: to defend freedom against Cobra, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.”

Sure, do flashbacks if need be for character stuff. Start with the POV of a newb Joe joining the team of you want that “new” feeling… but ffs it’s not that complicated.

Yeah, origins in opening credits seems to be a lost art.  Everyone wants to give an origin story movie, now.   One fairly recent movie that I think did a great job in opening credit origins is the MCU The Incredible Hulk.  Say what you will about that movie, the one thing it nailed was the origin that was told in like 3 minutes.  

Keep some of the lore, yes, but don't be beholden to it, either. The amount of people crying about the Snake Eyes movie... if you don't like the new origin, fine, I didn't really either. But some couldn't even handle the idea some were tossing around of updating SE to being an Iraq/Afghanistan vet instead of Vietnam. People have a really creepy hardon for THE SOURCE MATERIAL of a lot of properties that they can't handle the slightest deviation. What's the point of wanting ONLY the exact same story over and over?

Unrelated I'm going to this show in Pasadena in two weeks with my kids. It's a Joe show combined with three other toy shows. Really looking forward to it.

I don't mind updating lore or tweaks here and there, I just don't like things being changed to where they are unrecognizable, or stupid changes like the Baroness used to date Duke, like the first Joe movie.

My impression of the film Snake Eyes (i haven't seen yet) is they might be keeping enough of the lore to make me happy.  You HAVE to update the war which any Joe served because Viet Nam is so long ago, now.  We have to remember that in the 1980s, Viet Nam was barely a decade prior to ARAH.  Now, it is nearly 50 years ago when it ended in 1975! 

As for the show you are going to,  I am happy for you!  I wish I could go!

Yeah I don't know why it is so hard to do, either.  The only things I can come up with are:

1. They can't do a straight Larry Hamma adaptation without Hamma for legal/copyright reasons, so they are legally compelled to change things.

2. Executive interference telling the writers they can't do this or that. Because executives know everything. 

3. The writers they hired just are not familiar with both the source material and the fans who love it, and and simply don't understand the GI Joe mythos and why it is liked so much by its fans and just are doing their own thing. 

4. Someone somewhere finds the GI Joe mythos we are familiar with as problematic somehow and want to intentionally change it.  

Larry Hama's work was all under a write for hire contract, so he has no control over it. Given that Marvel put out the comic, and Hasbro is now part of the Paramount conglomerate, I don't know what the IP situation is exactly. From everything I have read, Hasbro payed Hama, and Marvel got the license to do the comic. If that's the case, Hasbro can use that material if they want. Resolute and one of the other animated versions in the last few years have used amalgams of ARAH and comic material, so I think that means they can do whatever they want.

Executive interference is always a thing, but the true enemy with this top tier movies is usually one of two things. One, there is a "fan" at the helm of the project who is dying to do HIS own version. (See the Star Wars ST). I know for a fact that Hasbro actually has a brain trust/writer's group going that is handling Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, and a couple other things after somebody decided these should all be in a shared universe together. They break stories like a TV writer's room, but then dole out movies to individual writers. I'm not sure who is running this room, but I bet they fit into this category.

The other, and also very likely guilty party, is a gaggle of producers trying to second guess fandom. This could result in terrible market research, surveying a toxic fan community, combing reddit, or just plain guesswork. They will question everything-- like worrying about how casting Iron Fist as a white dude got Marvel some heat, or the current public opinion of the military-- they will box themselves into a place of making bad judgement calls.

Both of these things will be up against the desire for the creators to do something different, the studio wanting to do something safe, and fandom wanting something new and interesting BUT NOT REALLY.

Everyone wants to copy Marvel's success, but they do it by creating shared universes with big movies that go nowhere, when really, to get Marvel magic you just have combine and simplify the existing stories and hang on excellent casting.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.