Very Important GI Joe Question

Tank

8 hours ago, Tank said:

How’s it feel to be a failure as a father?

They know who Destro and Cobra Commander are so I think I'm doing it right?

Yep, if they ever ask me about Serpentor, I might even just ignore the question altogether. 

18 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Half of the 82 figures were, frankly, pretty lame. Exchangeable parts, drab olive coloring. Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Stalker, and the three Cobra figures were the only ones that stood out, which is why they’re the only ones that survived. Characters like Short Fuze, Steeler, Flash, Grand Slam, etc had zero traction due to their generic-ness.

I always thought Grunt\Zap\Grand Slam looked like Michael Ironside.

Ham Tyler, V. | Sci fi tv shows, Movie hall, B movie

81465.jpg

6 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

I never had a cobra commander figure until the late space version of him.  We had Serpentor, though.  Whatever may be said abotu the character, the toy was fucking cool looking.

I liked the cape, or robe?  That really made the figure.  I think mine is still intact as well.  No rips. 

I Have the classic Cobra Commander with the silver face, and I have the armored suit figure.  I always wanted the hooded mask but never got it. 

This is the Cobra Commander figure I had

thumbnail.jpg

The helmet came off and you could see much of his head.  He had short black hair and white skin.  The lower half of his face was covered, though.  It also had a little vehicle that he could climb up surfaces in.  I liked the figure, but he didn't seem very much like Cobra Commander.

6 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I just picked that one up from the antique mall a few weeks back. Doesn't have the helmet though, which is a bummer cuz that's a tough piece to find.

I have that one too, also minus the helmet and gun.

Another annoyance is Cobra Commander V2 (battel armor), where if it doesn't come complete, good luck finding the air hose.   I wish someone would repro that piece. 

Here is my collection of Cobra Commander...

20210509_040439.thumb.jpg.1dd9a3e73f687577b6013ce9eb4a3b87.jpg

Yeah, silver mask is iconic. I really liked the battle armor one as a kid, but that's sort of worn off. I'd have to go with orange mask as my least favorite--Space Force designs were weird as hell, but even though they were mostly a miss, I give them credit for at least trying something different.

My brother had the V1.5, and I had V2 (hooded), and the battle armor V3. Those are my top 3.  My best friend at the time had V1 straight arm.  I wonder if he still has it. Lost contact years ago, but wouldn't surprise me if he did. 

Something about the hooded mask figure.   That was my favorite, probably because I never got it.  I think it was a mail away originally. 

After the metal armor, those don't look very cool but I was out of the Joe buying by around '89/'90. 

I never liked the metal armor look in any form.  It is a hard decision for me between the hood and the classic silver mask in various media.  For the figures, though, the silver mask looks the best to me.  In some of those versions, at least, the hood looks kind of strange.

Man I just got a waist I’ve been looking for for a while to replace a broken one, and the idiot eBay seller sent it in a padded envelope instead of a box. Surprise surprise, it came broken too. He gave me a refund (minus shipping and taxes of course) at least, but damnit. Unbroken waists can be hard to come by these days.

19 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Man I just got a waist I’ve been looking for for a while to replace a broken one, and the idiot eBay seller sent it in a padded envelope instead of a box. Surprise surprise, it came broken too. He gave me a refund (minus shipping and taxes of course) at least, but damnit. Unbroken waists can be hard to come by these days.

I would have demanded he pay for shipping and tax, too.  Sending 35+ year old plastic parts like that is idiotic. 

Lol

Going alllllll the way back to the Destro mask....I always assumed the mask was not an representation of his face, but just a mask and ripping off the classic story of the man in the iron mask or whatever the original source material is called.  Destro's mask reminded of the theatre comedy and tragedy masks.  

The voice does sound like a black guy though.  

1 minute ago, Jedigoat said:

Lol

Going alllllll the way back to the Destro mask....I always assumed the mask was not an representation of his face, but just a mask and ripping off the classic story of the man in the iron mask or whatever the original source material is called.  Destro's mask reminded of the theatre comedy and tragedy masks.  

The voice does sound like a black guy though.  

It totally was a rip off of the Man in the Iron Mask, just like Tomax and Xamot were a rip off of the Corsican Brothers. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.