Very Important GI Joe Question

Tank

4 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

How dare you.

The intro alone is better than anything ever made in the history of entertainment.

The intro is pretty awesome. I loved the movie as a kid, and I was jealous of kids with the toys. So part of me will always love it, and the kids are super into it.

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

The just chickened out...

Out of all the ideas that made it in, the fact that they edited that one is sad. 

12 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Backlash from Optimus dying unfortunately.

That’s exact what it was. The animation was done by then so they had to pipe that line in. Even as a kid I knew it was BS.

Besides the movie being less than stellar, I think the bigger disappointment is Sunbow losing the animation license. They apparently had a whole post-movie season mapped out before the plug got pulled. The DIC show a couple years later just didn’t live up. They aimed it a couple years younger and besides Chris Latta, I’m not sure any of the voice actors returned—then again not many of the characters returned as they had new toys to focus on.

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Besides the movie being less than stellar, I think the bigger disappointment is Sunbow losing the animation license. They apparently had a whole post-movie season mapped out before the plug got pulled. The DIC show a couple years later just didn’t live up. They aimed it a couple years younger and besides Chris Latta, I’m not sure any of the voice actors returned—then again not many of the characters returned as they had new toys to focus on.

The other big question about the DIC/Sunbow switch with GI Joe was did you know coming in there tell me do things.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:38 PM, Tank said:

That’s exact what it was. The animation was done by then so they had to pipe that line in. Even as a kid I knew it was BS.

I remember how odd that felt at the time.  I thought 'then why aren't they actually showing this scene?  I wanna see DUKE!'

I remember being so stoked for this movie and also feeling jealousy that Transformers was getting a better red carpet treatment with the theatrical release and Joe just going straight to video and TV.  I didn't know the reasons for it not being theatrical at the time.  So I felt slighted that the better property was being treated like a second tier.   

I was young enough that I was definitely more of a Transformers fan as a kid than GI Joe--at least when it came to the cartoon. I loved the TF show and movie. For the toys, Joes were king. They had so much more playability than Transformers, which could barely move in robot form. But it definitely would have been nice had Joe been treated a little better animation wise.

Yeah, same. I had a bunch of transformers but the Joe toys were the same scale as Star Wars and the rando Star Wars knock-off toys I had and it allowed me to make my own little universe and have a big population.

Even as a kid my OCD struggled with the scale issues with my Transformers.

I also had a good amount of He-Man toys and space Legos.

I'm a little older, so when it comes to GI Joe, I was more of a fan of the 2 miniseries GI Joe ARAH, and Revenge of Cobra, and season 1.  There were some good episodes like Pyramid of Darkness, The Viper is Coming, Worlds without End, Excalibur, There's No Place Like Springfield, and the Gods Below that stand out for me. Season 2 had some good episodes too, but I was definitely Team Cobra Commander, and  didn't like Serpentor screaming all the time.  I didn't get into the Dic series.  As for the toys, my favorite years were 1982-1986.  

I also loved Transformers, but again I am more a fan of the 1984-86 transformers era and toys, and liked the seasons 1 and 2 and up to and including Transformers the Movies the best.  

That's my era too. I had G1 Joe and Transformer toys. I very clearly remember Christmas of 82 and getting Clutch with the Jeep, Rock n Roll, and the motorcycle with the minigun sidecar. My dad was working at a Target-like store at the time and any time they had a GI Joe or Star Wars figure with a ripped package come in I would get it. I had Mutt/Junkyard, Snake-Eyes, and a few others in no time. That summer I remember buying Zartan with my own money.

I'm a bit younger, the first Joe I bought with my own (likely birthday) money was Psyche Out, who was released in 87. By then my older brother already had dozens of figures and vehicles. Joes were among the centerpieces of birthdays and Christmases for many years, and we also picked up a ton from garage sales (Hovercraft and the Bugg I remember specifically). Also scored a bunch on the cheap when Lionel Playworld went out of business in the early 90s.

I'm trying to pump the brakes on collecting right now for a bit. I've gone a little crazy the last few months now that we've eliminated all our debt and gotten stimuli and other windfalls. It's a super fun hobby and I'm enjoying it a lot, I've just let myself get a little obsessives so I gotta cool off for a bit. Plus those ebay prices... they just keep going up and up and I can't believe people are paying that much. Fingers crossed the bubble pops soon and the prices don't stay this high as the figures just get older and older.

I kept most of my joes and transformers from when I was a kid, though it was a modest collection.  In recent years, and before ebay went through the roof,  I started to get into collecting (and got OCD about it). I scored a lot of good deals on Joe figures, almost Louisiana Purchase style, and have almost all of the ones between 1982-1989, except for the extremely rare ones that are like $100+ (I can't justify that!).  I have some from 1990-97, too.  I think at last count, I have some 750 joes, including duplicates, but most from 1988-97 are incomplete, and most 1982-87 are complete, if you count battle gear as substitute accessories. 

GI Joe was the toy line that I eased into as SW toys started to die out.  Smooth transition.  I loved both Joe and Transformers on TV but MOTU was my favorite cartoon, as clearly cheap as it was.  Followed by the Joe cartoon.  Joe was easily my largest toy collection, followed by MOTU and Transformers.  I wanted to like the Transformers toys more but yeah...scale and bulkiness and probably price got in the way.  

I can see a Joe movie as being something like Mission Impossible and Black Hawk Down, maybe a bit of one of the good Jack Ryan movies mixed together.  

Somebody could easily handle that task.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.