Very Important GI Joe Question

Tank

I knew he was a Scottish lord, but there are black Scottish people you racist fuck.

Also, look at his face! 

In all seriousness I did google this and there are legit racist arguments in both directions.

One said that he dressed like a Fascist Pimp, which while accurate, still doesn’t answer the question.

I’m really fascinated by this game WHO IS RACIST?

people who assumed he was black

people who assumed he couldn’t be black

people who assume he is black because of how he dresses

I think the answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE, but probably Hasbro most of all?

Also also, it’s been long enough since the crap movies for me to get my gritty Paramount+ GI Joe series up and running.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Also also, it’s been long enough since the crap movies for me to get my gritty Paramount+ GI Joe series up and running.

The Snake Eyes spinoff/reboot is coming out in July, and apparently Prime is setting up a Lady Jaye centered series. I don't really think GI Joe lends itself to live action well, I think it should stay animated. So yes. Please pitch this.

As long as he didn't get too bogged down into the esoterica of military weaponry and armor and the technicality of how everything worked, it was a great comic. When he did indulge that side of himself, though, it was just gibberish.

But between the comic and the file cards, he deserves more credit than most for the line succeeding as well as it did.

At least they stayed consistent with his back story unlike Cobra Commander... that whole Cobra LA WAS ONCE A MAN was new for the GI Joe movie. According to the comics and file cards he was a con artist that started as a used car salesman.

IN FACT that reminds me of the issue where he and Destro lose their masks (but put on disguises without showing their true faces. In that outing, Destro was definitely white.

But maybe he was black in the cartoons.

He was at least played by a Scottish actor, Christopher Eccelson, in the first move, who was obviously white.

Considering it was the 80s, GI Joe actually did a halfway decent line of being inclusive. There certainly wasn't enough and a lot of what was there was pretty stereotypically bad (Spirit, Quick Kick/ninjas in general, a grand total of six women, Roadblock's original name vetoed by Hama being Bubba, etc), but it was more diverse than many other brands of the 80s.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

At least they stayed consistent with his back story unlike Cobra Commander... that whole Cobra LA WAS ONCE A MAN was new for the GI Joe movie. According to the comics and file cards he was a con artist that started as a used car salesman.

IN FACT that reminds me of the issue where he and Destro lose their masks (but put on disguises without showing their true faces. In that outing, Destro was definitely white.

But maybe he was black in the cartoons.

He was at least played by a Scottish actor, Christopher Eccelson, in the first move, who was obviously white.

Cobra La story line was shit.  Total retcon that was annoying and unnecessary. Actually most of the movie is annoying. It also ruined Cobra Commander's character. It actually took me decades to rewatch that movie, after seeing it in the 1980s.   Now, I am ok with it, but I think the beginning of the end for me was introducing Serpentor in 1986.  Cool idea of a clone, but I hated that he was written as having dethroned Cobra Commander.  CC was supposed to be a cross between a Bond Villain and Hitler, and was supposed to be the most dangerous man alive.  Serpentor took away from that.  At least in the comics, they killed Serpentor's ass.  Serpentor was written out in the cartoons, too,  but that was after DIC took over from Sunbow, and I was never into those.  

Also Roadblock V1 is way cooler than V2.

GI Joe the movie has a few cool Bits, but honestly, they were just trying to recreate what Transformers the movie did. Intro new toys, kill off the heroic leader, drop a couple swear words...

Honestly, once I discovered the comic book, I always preferred it to the cartoon.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re watching the 1987 movie right now, my son picked it for his birthday movie. It’s bad, but damn, Star Wars also totally ripped it off for the Yuuzhan Vong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.