Questions for 4k player owners

Zathras

I was just curious who out there has a 4k player out there?   I recently made the leap over bluray, and have had a 4k TV for some time.   I have a number of 4k disks I am rewatching in 4k.  While it looks great, I have to say that I am not as wowed as I was with the jump to Bluray from DVD. I have streamed 4k before, but was convinced that 4k disk would be a more noticeable difference from bluray, than 4k streaming.   Seems it isn't, at least with the few 4k disks I have watched so far.  Did anyone else here have a similar experience?

It depends on the movie, and the connection. I can’t think of any specific movies right now, but there have been a few that looked much better on disc versus streaming. But, overall, any difference that may exist is too minor for the human eye to see. But, yeah, the difference between 4K and Blu-ray is less than between DVD and Blu-ray, but that was also less than the difference between VHS and DVD. I think that we’re reaching the end of our ability to perceive visual improvement. 

I mean I definitely see a difference when I compare the bluray vs 4k disks of the same movie (EG Rogue One, Alien Covenant came with both disk versions), but I have to say the improvement is not a huge difference, except on close ups of faces. If someone played a disk without telling me if it were a BR or 4K, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Isn't the main benefit of 4k that it enables you to have a very very very large screen and the fidelity be super good still? Like, having a small 4k screen doesn't really make sense, cause the detail/fidelity is going to be so small.

1 hour ago, Odine said:

Isn't the main benefit of 4k that it enables you to have a very very very large screen and the fidelity be super good still? Like, having a small 4k screen doesn't really make sense, cause the detail/fidelity is going to be so small.

Yeah I suppose so. I looked it up after you mentioned that.  My TV is 65" so maybe that is on the cusp where the benefit is not that great? Maybe I can use that as an argument to upgrade to a bigger TV!  LOL!

chart_Rtings.com_.jpg.d87a3b5e1d013bebeedbd14a502180e3.jpg

It depends on a couple of things. One the player. Simply put a lot expensive poster has better processing. I have a $500 oppo blu ray player that makes my boy rates look damned near perfect. My Sony 4K player brothers just was good as image on blu ray and 4K discs, but that leads to the second thing. The model and dude if your TV. Despite dropping prices, cheaper tvs still have lesser processers in them and don't deliver as fine an image of your relatively close to the set. That's why those 65" 4Ks at Walmart don't wow you. And security size is a factor. I can tell the difference but not by much if I'm comparing a disc versus streaming. We have a 65" in the family room, but my wife has given me the green light to go bigger if i finish the stone backdrop on that wall. 

The biggest problem you face is perception. Those 4K demos look awesome. They were designed that way though. Your regular movie isn't really focused on fine detail. That's why animation usually looks best because the source is inherently flawless most of the time.

This is the model Sony 4k player I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HXF9H2/?coliid=IFA1VS0V1FWK0&colid=2LTVCO0VW0YS1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The TV is a Samsung 4k I picked up last year.

Neither are Black Friday deals.  Maybe not the top of the line, but the brands should be rock solid.  My previous bluray player is also a Sony, an works just fine.  I used HDMI2 cables for everything, too, so I don't think it is a case of cheap equipment. 

That is a solid 4k player. I have the Sony x800m2. Mainly because i still have a collection of dvd audio and s super audio cds that i still want to listen to every once in a blue moon lol. 

Another thing is you tend to forget about picture detail after a while and just want to watch a movie. How fast is your internet? We updated to 400mbs on a one year deal from the cable company. I see better streaming quality from that over 100. My son is in his computer ask the time so he really eats up dinner of that speed.

1 hour ago, Metropolis said:

That is a solid 4k player. I have the Sony x800m2. Mainly because i still have a collection of dvd audio and s super audio cds that i still want to listen to every once in a blue moon lol. 

Another thing is you tend to forget about picture detail after a while and just want to watch a movie. How fast is your internet? We updated to 400mbs on a one year deal from the cable company. I see better streaming quality from that over 100. My son is in his computer ask the time so he really eats up dinner of that speed.

My speed is only 50 mbs right now.  My area has been upgraded, and will likely upgrade soon.  So that probably accounts for my 4k streams looking like bluray right there.  Which is  why I prefer disc, plus I just like collecting movies (Gen X thing I suppose!).

I think maybe you are onto something about getting into the movie and forgetting about picture quality.  Good point I had not considered.   I wonder if that could be it for me, especially when we are talking about a movie I have seen a dozen times or so. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.