Birthday meals

What's your go to? Or at least, what did you pick most recently?

Mine's coming up next weekend and I'm not entirely sure. For breakfast I'm getting a full Irish breakfast from a pub downtown (2 Eggs, Rasher, Banger, Black & White Pudding, Heinz Baked Beans, Breakfast Potatoes and Grilled Tomato on the restaurant menu)--been wanting that for a long time. Lunch I'm leaving open as a more spontaneous thing, and dinner I'm leaning toward tacos. Katie makes great tacos. Dessert is chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. I'm pretty basic with my desserts and very happy about it.

But what about you. I might want to steal your ideas.

When I was a kid, we went to Benihana for every single birthday, special event. It was our family's absolute favorite restaurant. I always got the hibachi shrimp. My husband learned how to make it and has made it a few times for me. Its close. (Funny side note, my husband thinks my family goes overboard for birthdays because we let the birthday person pick their favorite restaurant for dinner and get a cake or pie of their choosing. I told him his family was weird and that he was neglected as a child.) Now we kind of have our own special occasion restaurant that's family friendly. Its a little Italian place that's reasonably priced and let's us bring our own wine for a corkage fee. We haven't been since 2019 because of stupid COVID. May have to see if we can get an outdoor seating this summer.

I would totally get a fancy doughnut for breakfast, though. For dessert, if I'm picking pie it would be a banana cream pie. If it's cake, it would be strawberry cake with white frosting. Usually we just pick up a cake from our local grocery store because they make really nice ones that are easy to pick up.

Dammit, I just miss going out to eat.

My birthday is the 3rd of Jan so never really celebrated it as an adult, or if I did it was wrapped up in NYE celebrations. Might have a special meal I suppose but nothing that has become the traditional thing or anything. Probably a burger or pizza or something out at a bar/restaurant. Or a nice homecooked family meal if it is a landmark birthday. 

When I was growing up, we usually went out to a restaurant the birthday person picked.  I usually picked Olive Garden back then to get lasagna because that was the one Italian dish my mother refused to make since it took so long as the time.  I later started choosing a Mexican restaurant like the rest of my family did for their birthdays.

Now, we usually just make something at home for dinner. This is also amplified by the fact that my birthday often falls near college graduation weekend here, so it is a giant pain in the ass to go out to a nice restaurant then.  Fortunately, we follow my wife's classical Chinese tradition of making some really long noodles, which symbolize long life, for breakfast.

Occasionally, we will cook some sort of desert for each other, but we often find ourselves buying a small cake from a store now.

My birthdays are always random.  Last year, we went to Red Robin.  This year, we went to Pizza King.  

My mom always bakes a chocolate cake.  From a Duncan Hines box.  I grew up on those so they taste better to me than bakery cakes or homemade.  

Happy Birthday, Jacob, if I'm not on over the weekend!

Last year I did steak, which I insisted on grilling myself. In fact, I made my entire birthday meal. My wife made me a pina colada cake, though. 

It’s always something different for birthdays.

BUT. When me and the kiddo go down to my parents for a weekend (about once every 2 months) there has to be one night to have cube steak, mashed potatoes with brown gravy, homemade Mac n cheese and homemade dinner rolls. It’s my absolute favorite. It’s pure comfort food. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.