Tech-y People - I need help

Cerina

That 4 to 8 memory stick will help weirdly for upgrading. Also it blows my mind how many windows you have open. Cerina. I don't even use that many at my second job - which stupidly uses thinclients instead of actual computers for us so we LAG all the time. I do have dual monitors at work which I adore. It lead to me upgrading the home monitor for my desk top to a 27 inch monitor. At home just Chrome is open with maybe three tabs and a zoom meeting. At my second job I have to use IE for some applications and Chrome for a different application. (It's even dumber still that their stupid scheduling software doesn't like certain browsers and I can never schedule or check my stuff at home because of that).

11 hours ago, Cerina said:

Whenever I check the Task Manager, the CPU is typically 30-60%. Memory is typically nearly tapped out 85-100%. And the HDD is typically 70-100%. 

Yeah, I'd go with the 32 GB kit I listed for that build. It should alleviate the memory bottleneck. Here's a quick video on how to replace your RAM. Don't worry about the anti-static wristband. It's totally unnecessary. 

Ok I ordered an SSD and two 16gig sticks of RAM that all the website said are compatible with my computer (plus some cables and a mount for the SSD). When it all arrives tomorrow, would it make more sense to replace the RAM before trying to clone the HDD onto the SSD? Or do you think that'll make much of a difference?

I don't think it will make any difference

The cloning / copying process usually doesn't use a lot of RAM (or use the CPU much) and the bottleneck will be how quickly data can be read off the HDD, even though it can be written to the SSD several times faster

Copying hundreds of gigabytes of data from a HDD to an SSD can take a long time, especially if there are lots of small files

Data tends to be copied in small chunks instead of filling up gigabytes of RAM before writing it to its destination. I don't know exactly why, but it might be because there's a risk of more data being lost if there's a power cut

4 hours ago, Cerina said:

Would it help to delete any apps or programs that I can just redownload and reinstall later? 

That really depends on how fast your internet is. A 60GB game takes around an hour to download on my 80 Megabits per second internet, while file transfers are much closer to about 200 Megabits per second. I'd just use the clone program and not worry about deleting files. I replaced a slow ass 750 GB HDD in my old 2009 HP Pavilion with a 500 GB SSD and the transfer didn't take that long to do. 

Ugh. So I got the new SSD today. I cloned it just fine using the software from the Crucial website. I took the opportunity to dust the inside of my computer as well. But now it's telling me that a "required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". So I googled and everything tells me I need a boot disk, which of course I don't have. So I put the HDD back in and I'm trying to create on, but NATURALLY I don't have any DVDs to burn or stupid USB drives ANYWHERE. And I SWEAR TO ALL THAT IS HOLY THESE STUPID USB DRIVES ARE FUCKING ALL OVER THIS DAMN HOUSE IN EVERY DAMN DRAWER OR PENCIL BOX OR BACKPACK UNTIL YOU NEED IT!!! 

So that's where I am atm. My husband ran to the store to buy another one. So to be continued...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a new problem! And I don't even know enough to know what to ask so here goes. 

I'm creating what will essentially be a private "team portal" using Google Sites for my new real estate team. It's basically going to be all the exact same stuff that's in our Google Drive that nobody but me can ever seem to find. I figure with a Google Site, it'll be easier for them to navigate as pages rather than folders. Anyway, we have the domain name www.ashleytullis.com purchased from GoDaddy and it automatically redirects to www.ashleytullis.kw.com as our website (using Keller Williams' point-n-click website builder stuff). 

I want to add a subdomain, portal.ashleytullis.com, and have that be the domain name for our Google Sites portal. I've tried following all the step-by-step instructions on how to do this from Google and GoDaddy but I keep getting an error message. 

Things I've done successfully thus far (and keep in mind, I don't even know what this is, I just did it because the instructions said to):

• Added a CNAME record. Host = portal. Points to = @. TTL = 1 Hour. 
  • Verified ownership for Google by adding a TXT record - I'm fairly certain I did this for both www.ashleytullis.com and portal.ashleytullis.com

When I try to follow Google's instructions to add another CNAME, it gives me these instructions

1. In a separate tab, sign in to your domain registrar’s website
  2. Go to your DNS settings
  3. Create a new CNAME entry
  4. Under CNAME value or alias, enter portal
  5. In CNAME destination, enter ghs.googlehosted.com. (include period at the end)
  6. Save changes
  7. Come back to this tab and click Done

But when I do all of that, I get an error message. And I tried talking to GoDaddy's tech support, but they're apparently assuming I know way more about this than I do because I swear we weren't speaking the same language. 

Started rocking back and forth at my desk because of that. Google meetings is the bane of my online existence for online teaching. You will always be the only one who knows how to access and get to some things.  I still have homework assignments undone from last year in meetings that I uploaded. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.