The Falcon & The Winter Soldier

Rogue 3

What did we think? Explosive opening and after all that, it was obvious the rest of the episode would be a bit more relaxed and focused on the characters.

Good to hear more on the impact of “The Blip”. Very important to address.

Strong start I thought and I am looking forward to seeing how it develops over the remaining 5 episodes.

I'll one up you and say that in a world where Iron Man tech exists, and other people (Rhodey, Peter, and Pepper) have been given suits, why's Falcon just dicking around with wings?

I thought it was a good start. It felt more like the standard Marvel fare-- which, while I like, am ready for an evolution of. ESPECIALLY with how subversive WandaVision was. No great mystery yet to debate yet-- but I am interested to see where it goes.

The fact Sam doesn't get some sort of veteran assistance, government stipend, or you know, a god damn world-saving bonus is criminal!

Sebastian Stan looks and seems so much different now, it's good they gave him the Winter Solider flashback just to remind us how he was. I rather like his arc they are setting up. He's got the same man out of time problem that Steve had ("What's wrong with penuckle?") but has a whole extra layer of guilt on top of it for all the people he killed while under Hydra's control.

3 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

How long before Bucky tells that old Japanese man he's hanging around that it was him who killed his son?

Does it strike anyone else as kind of messed up he is becoming buddies with the man whose son he killed? Way to mess up the guy even more when he does find out. 

It is weird that Pepper or Happy hasn’t reached out to the team, but then maybe we’ll find out they have and Sam is just stubborn. I mean, Sam really only needs a co-signer. lol

Heck, maybe Stark Tech or Foundation or Corp or whatever it was doesn’t even exist anymore like it did. That could be a weird sell to the audience given Happy flew all over to help Peter in Far From Home, but maybe that was... as Ray explained to the guys in Ghostbusters... the last of the petty cash.

Afterthought: Then again, Sam was on the other side and Tony loved to hold a grudge.

I feel like he’s legit— just not good enough. And he’s going to want super powers to be more like Steve, and that will send him to the power broker— and that will make him go bad.

I am a little confused about Sam saying they were “free agents” and yet at the same time, he’s going on missions for the government and Red Bird’s intel was accessible to Walker. It’s a minor detail but it made me think more than it was meant to.

I am sure fan bros are hating on it, but I love they are going there with the racial stuff. I like this idea of maybe doing TV seasons for character work then teaming up for spectacle films.

Bit of a busy week, so ended up with watching both episodes 2 & 3 today!

Really enjoying this series! The banter between Falcon & Bucky is excellent. Thought something was off with the New Cap right from the opening scenes of ep 2 with them making him seem ok - every subsequent scene he is just getting further and further away from Captain America ideal image. Agree with above comments that he will be after the serum.

And what about Madripoor? Cross between Bladerunner and a Final Fantasy game location! Loved it!

it kills me how many people complain about New Cap, saying that they don't like him. WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO! That's the whole point!

Madripoor was awesome. I really wanted to see Logan in an eyepatch somewhere. Princess Bar is where "Patch" always went! 

Sharon has something else going on. I feel like they are setting her up to either turn heel or give her a super hero alter ego.

I kinda like the idea that the are perverted versions of the super soldier serum out there and are responsible for more super-powered people than we realize. I also liked that we got an explanation as to why none of the others have gotten super-buff like Steve did.

I guess Danai Gurira was too busy shooting Walking Dead to show up as Okoye? That would have been a stronger cameo than a rando Dora Milaje. (EDIT: I guess this is Ayo, who was the Dora Milaje we saw in Civil War that clashed with Bucky briefly before. She was also in Infinity War and Black Panther, but didn't have lines).

22 minutes ago, Tank said:

it kills me how many people complain about New Cap, saying that they don't like him. WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO! That's the whole point!

Yep, that was the instant reaction at the end of episode 1 of course, but I liked what they did at the start of ep 2 showing him in the locker room (the scenes where he is alone in particular), where he came across as an alright chap. Willing to give him a chance at that point.

Then with each subsequent appearance his character slowly brings us back to that first initial impression. I quite liked that. 

I think Sharon is with Sword, or still with Shield and that her outcast on the run story is all bull deep cover.

Here’s looking forward to Sam and Buck dealing with the knowledge they were the good people that shoulda done more so that Walker never was... in that classic misattributed quote sorta way. Of course, Bucky has already been insinuating that to Sam, with the entire “he gave you the shield” thing, but shit’s about to get real now.

Quibble:

It annoys me that Sam isn’t reaching out to anyone. First Happy or Pepper could have co-signed a loan or heck offered a grant. Now he tells his sister to just go on the run, instead of calling in help from anyone.

Dramatically even if Sam did call in help, that doesn’t mean his family is safe. It just helps with the logic of that moment, that Sam at least can know he did what he could. Anyway. Well, unless Disney is writing a tragedy here and Sam is gonna learn the hardest way he should have asked for help, and since he didn’t that’ll always haunt him. Hopefully we’re not gonna see it come to that.

This was probably the best one so far

They ain't gonna have Sam call in for help from his billionaire friends because 99.99% of black people in America can't do that. That'd defeat the whole fucking point of what they showed with them struggling and failing to get the loan. Maybe I can understand it with them needing to go on the run, but not the first part.

Sam has never been one to ask for help— but he is always willing to give it. He took Steve and Nat in when they were outlaws, and followed Steve to be one himself, both without pause. I think him asking for help is actually the lesson he needs to learn. But we won’t see that until the end.

I thought for a second Sharon was wearing a SWORD pendant like Monica’s, but I think it was just her zipper. I’m also think she’s the Power Broker, or working for him. I also think the Power Broker is going to be a robot Armin Zola.

sidebar— I hope the Wakanda show they are developing is about the Dora Milaje.

Another strong episode, although you could see roughly where it was going to end quite early on. Wanting to do the good thing, but every single button pushed and reacts as you’d expect.

Nice observations in Sharon and Sam issues above, have to agree with those points.

Good to have a little more flashback for Bucky as well with his de-programming.

Zemo is the standout - anytime on screen, he is the best thing there! Great fun!

Looking forward to seeing how this series wraps up in the final 2 episodes!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.