What's up with Asian hate crimes?

Ms. Spam

They are excusing behavior because they think the other side does it. It's what drives me so crazy about the way it's like well THEY GOT TO RIOT. No the peacefully protested and some others got out of hand and burned some things but no one cares about those peaceful protests. 

Something else that scares me about all this is that there's no impulse control. Nothing stopping them from saying, "hey, this sounds like an illegal activity and maybe I shouldn't be killing people or at the very least defacing property". 

On 3/18/2021 at 9:49 AM, Zathras said:

My guess is all the bashing on China that Trump did as president for 4 years caused all the racist Trumpbots to go apeshit.  

I think part of it is also due to Black Lives Matter. Now being anti-Black is going to get you called out. So now racists are testing the waters with Asians. They're a lovely bunch.

That had not occurred to me, but it is very possible.   Asians often face a lot of the same discrimination black and brown people face, but the media coverage is far less.  So, I can see your point that to the racists, Asians might be a safe punching bag. 

Plus Asians are an easy punching bag because of the media reported success of Asians. People believe that Asians are doing so well that it’s punching up to go after them.

Someone recently explained to me that it’s impossible to be racist against Asians because racism includes an element of suppression and Asians are successful.

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Plus Asians are an easy punching bag because of the media reported success of Asians. People believe that Asians are doing so well that it’s punching up to go after them.

Someone recently explained to me that it’s impossible to be racist against Asians because racism includes an element of suppression and Asians are successful.

A lot of antisemitism is based on that too

I feel like Trump brought out the people who feel it's okay to act out and do things. He normalized bad behavior. I mean, I've seen the Klan in action in the deep south and that's an ingrained look the other way system that a lot of people are trying fight against. Trump just made it harder to fight this type of stuff because he gave legitimacy to this type of person who acts and uses excuses for his behavior. 

I was at some restaurant picking up food with my sister yesterday and waiting in line - six feet apart - and I overheard some guy talking to his buddies about how well they riot and burn a few things down but as tax payers we went to Washington DC and messed up a little bit of Congress and we're the criminals. Like because their paltry taxes they pay gives them the excuse to ransack Congress. And I literally felt like my Dad when I said "Two wrongs don't make a right." And they told me to shut up but I was pissed at that comment. "So someone burns a Wendy's down and that's your excuse to go to Washington DC and be a dick to cops and break into Congress and throw feces like you're a god damned monkey?" They just stared at me. So I pressed further and got kicked out of the restaurant because I was causing a ruckus with this final comment to a finger throw and called a libtard. "I don't think you understand the anger that comes from one situation where a man dies sitting in his own car because he's black and yours from your world where you can eat in a restaurant and be offended by a libtard." And then I had heartburn for the rest of the night. 

So there's that too.

1 hour ago, Ms. Spam said:

I was at some restaurant picking up food with my sister yesterday and waiting in line - six feet apart - and I overheard some guy talking to his buddies about how well they riot and burn a few things down but as tax payers we went to Washington DC and messed up a little bit of Congress and we're the criminals. Like because their paltry taxes they pay gives them the excuse to ransack Congress. And I literally felt like my Dad when I said "Two wrongs don't make a right." And they told me to shut up but I was pissed at that comment. "So someone burns a Wendy's down and that's your excuse to go to Washington DC and be a dick to cops and break into Congress and throw feces like you're a god damned monkey?" They just stared at me. So I pressed further and got kicked out of the restaurant because I was causing a ruckus with this final comment to a finger throw and called a libtard. "I don't think you understand the anger that comes from one situation where a man dies sitting in his own car because he's black and yours from your world where you can eat in a restaurant and be offended by a libtard." And then I had heartburn for the rest of the night. 

So there's that too.

What you are saying here is probably the best (worst) trick the far right has done. They've made the non radical people on the right identify with the awful elements of the right as being on "their side." The fact is most Americans, left and right are good people. The enemy of your average Republican is not your average Democrat. Its the people who are too far and radical on either side of the spectrum who are actually all of our enemies. The fact is though that right now the far right is a bigger problem than the far left. Not that far right positions are any worse than extreme far left positions but right now in the real world far right thinking is a greater threat. 

I think that's where the disconnect happens too. That or I think they think they're self-entitled because they pay taxes. Like they're the only ones in the whole of the US. I don't know. But that day I was cranky and hangry and probably should have shut up. I am more vocal through the internet because there's anonymous ways to post. I eat at this restaurant regularly. It's pretty pro-trump as it's got Trump flags waiving but they make a great chicken fried steak and have a good hamburger basket that comes with TOTS instead of fries.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.