A statement on recent events

8 hours ago, Tank said:

He reached out to me on FB to pass on his apologies, especially to Cerina. He wanted to do an in depth explanation for everyone but I told him not to stress out about that. He wasn’t asking to come back, he totally gets it and owns it.

The ban is justified.  But, to be fair, that is more than people like Bodega, Amanda-CM-Letsgo-Amadala, SOL-Poe, and Tommy ever did.  SOL in particular was a straight up jerk.  

Lol. Funnily enough I called Amanda a cunt after she was acting atrociously to people including myself in the lyceum, but I promptly edited it out once my seething had subsided. I think I toned it down and called her an arsehole instead. 

That being said the c-bomb isn't as bad a word here as it is in your land. I mean it's still bad, but it's not as severe here.

1 minute ago, Darth Krawlie said:

As nuts as she could get I also genuinely liked her. When she wasn't too much into her gimmick and a mark for herself, she was pretty cool. Honestly wish she'd come back.

Also me too. I liked her, but she could still be a c-bomb.

1 hour ago, Odine said:

Lol. Funnily enough I called Amanda a cunt after she was acting atrociously to people including myself in the lyceum, but I promptly edited it out once my seething had subsided. I think I toned it down and called her an arsehole instead. 

That being said the c-bomb isn't as bad a word here as it is in your land. I mean it's still bad, but it's not as severe here.

The difference is that Cerina was give the c-bomb because of early encounters they had that got heated because he didn’t like being called out on how he treats women by a women. He felt slighted, and unfortunately, brought it up at every turn when he knew Cerina would see it. It was low key flaming/trolling and when she called him on it, he snapped.

In Carrie’s case, frankly she was cunty. Haha.

Also, I love how “Amanda” stuck. That was me making fun of Rev never getting her name right when she was using an Amidala handle.

This and bastdoors are my only memorable contribution to nightly after 22 years.

4 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

As nuts as she could get I also genuinely liked her. When she wasn't too much into her gimmick and a mark for herself, she was pretty cool. Honestly wish she'd come back.

Yeah she was a good writer and debater.  Sometimes I would learn something.  The thing that pushed it over the edge for me though is when she got on the Trump train, and  started advocating for elderly people to drop dead.  

57 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Yeah she was a good writer and debater.  Sometimes I would learn something.  The thing that pushed it over the edge for me though is when she got on the Trump train, and  started advocating for elderly people to drop dead.  

Well with COVID she got her wish. 

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

Although there’s no way to tell what she really believed and when she was trolling.

Or she’s actually Ivanka.

So here's the thing. I have serious doubts and questions about much of what he told us. All of his stories seemed overly one-sided, and I felt it was pretty obvious that he was leaving out chunks of information. And although he was eager to tell us that he suspected he was on the spectrum or that he was socially awkward, none of his anecdotes actually directly reflected that. The advice he was seeking did (as was the fact that he was even seeking advice), but the stories didn't display as much awkwardness as they did creeperness. So he edited out the awkward parts or he was completely unaware of the difference. I suspect a bit of both actually. I think he heavily edited his stories to portray himself in the best light but was completely unaware of how off-the-mark he was. Not atypical for people with ASD really. But also, I don't know anyone autistic who would voluntarily go to night clubs regularly. Not that there aren't exceptions, sensory issues aren't present in EVERY person on the spectrum and some people are definitely more seekers than avoiders, but it's a fairly ubiquitous "symptom" of ASD and there's just so much at a night club to cause an overload. 

There were also parts of his anecdotes that read less like reality and more like a fanfiction version of reality written by someone who got all of their ideas about human interaction from watching TV rather than actually interacting with people. For example, either he has the worst therapists available, or he's only trying to convey what he thinks therapy is like, because he'd mentioned several things that would cause most therapists to lose their licenses (but you see frequently on TV and movies). I question whether these people are actually licensed to begin with. I do really hope he's able to find the right people to help him. 

But when it's all said and done, what makes him no longer welcome in this community is his rampant sexism. I cannot and will not speak for every other woman left here at Nightly, but for me, this sexism was apparent in nearly every post he made. A lot of it was more along the lines of microaggressions - calling the horrific abuse Marilyn Manson inflicted upon his victims "hot water", calling 30-something women "girls", calling women and relationships with them "lemons" or "unicorns", lumping the entire female population into "young and idiotic" or "my age with kids", slut-shaming, etc. Not to mention his egregious mansplaining to Icy that he tried to excuse by stating that he hadn't bothered to "commit to memory" the fact that Icy is a woman and that he still refers to as a "misunderstanding". But what was most telling was how willing he was to accept criticism of his attitude toward and treatment of women by the male posters here while getting violently enraged at me for the same (especially when you look at his responses to Choc whom he also felt frequently attacked by). 

The women of Nightly stopped replying to him or interacting with him over a year ago and not just in his advice threads. When an entire demographic stops interacting with you, it's time to start examining why. 

I'm not as offended by being called a cunt as I am by the vitriol behind it. And at the same time, I could almost feel it coming the moment I posted my last reply to him. His responses to me were predictable and so stereotypical that I'm more surprised that he never asked me if it was "that time of the month" than I was by the cunt-drop. 

In the "What did you do today" thread, backward Ramirez got kinda riled up at me for taking him to task for going to a speed dating event during COVID (hilariously enough, the very event that precipitated his latest same-exact-cool-story-bro dating thread) and called me out, and my irony meter is now broken.

Sad, however, that you're so willing to talk shit on a fellow human being (me) for something so stupid.... It definitely shows what kind of a person you are.

8 hours ago, Cerina said:

So here's the thing. I have serious doubts and questions about much of what he told us. All of his stories seemed overly one-sided, and I felt it was pretty obvious that he was leaving out chunks of information. And although he was eager to tell us that he suspected he was on the spectrum or that he was socially awkward, none of his anecdotes actually directly reflected that. The advice he was seeking did (as was the fact that he was even seeking advice), but the stories didn't display as much awkwardness as they did creeperness. So he edited out the awkward parts or he was completely unaware of the difference. I suspect a bit of both actually. I think he heavily edited his stories to portray himself in the best light but was completely unaware of how off-the-mark he was. Not atypical for people with ASD really. But also, I don't know anyone autistic who would voluntarily go to night clubs regularly. Not that there aren't exceptions, sensory issues aren't present in EVERY person on the spectrum and some people are definitely more seekers than avoiders, but it's a fairly ubiquitous "symptom" of ASD and there's just so much at a night club to cause an overload. 

There were also parts of his anecdotes that read less like reality and more like a fanfiction version of reality written by someone who got all of their ideas about human interaction from watching TV rather than actually interacting with people. For example, either he has the worst therapists available, or he's only trying to convey what he thinks therapy is like, because he'd mentioned several things that would cause most therapists to lose their licenses (but you see frequently on TV and movies). I question whether these people are actually licensed to begin with. I do really hope he's able to find the right people to help him. 

But when it's all said and done, what makes him no longer welcome in this community is his rampant sexism. I cannot and will not speak for every other woman left here at Nightly, but for me, this sexism was apparent in nearly every post he made. A lot of it was more along the lines of microaggressions - calling the horrific abuse Marilyn Manson inflicted upon his victims "hot water", calling 30-something women "girls", calling women and relationships with them "lemons" or "unicorns", lumping the entire female population into "young and idiotic" or "my age with kids", slut-shaming, etc. Not to mention his egregious mansplaining to Icy that he tried to excuse by stating that he hadn't bothered to "commit to memory" the fact that Icy is a woman and that he still refers to as a "misunderstanding". But what was most telling was how willing he was to accept criticism of his attitude toward and treatment of women by the male posters here while getting violently enraged at me for the same (especially when you look at his responses to Choc whom he also felt frequently attacked by). 

The women of Nightly stopped replying to him or interacting with him over a year ago and not just in his advice threads. When an entire demographic stops interacting with you, it's time to start examining why. 

I'm not as offended by being called a cunt as I am by the vitriol behind it. And at the same time, I could almost feel it coming the moment I posted my last reply to him. His responses to me were predictable and so stereotypical that I'm more surprised that he never asked me if it was "that time of the month" than I was by the cunt-drop. 

To be fair he did one take a picture of me and draw a cartoon cock going into my mouth on it. LOL.

• Cerina locked this topic