New job...new location...taking chances

Hobbes

For years I have been trying to land a gig in the mountains.  I love Denver, but it is way too crowded.  Most people, like myself, moved here to do cool outdoors stuff.  But now even outdoorsy stuff is packed.  It is a 2+ hour traffic jam to go skiing and then the lift lines are crazy.  

I finally landed the job I have been looking for in Durango, Colorado.  Awesome mountain town (with a population of 20,000 plus a college of 4000 it is practically a megacity in the mountains) with a great ski resort within 20 miles so I am pretty excited.  

With that said, I am NOT excited about actually moving.  I am dreading packing and preparing a house to sell with a 3 and a 4-year-old.  Plus, it is much cheaper if we hire movers to help load and unload our stuff and drive the U-Haul myself.  But I not good at driving large cars, let a lone a freaking 30 foot U-Haul through the mountains and over multiple passes.  Other concerns...given the distance and how scarce real estate is in Durango, we will have to buy a place site unseen.  I am also a bit nervous about having to answer to an elected  board of directors whom are non-educators rather than a supervisor who actually works for the district.  

Anyways...I am nervous...but hopefully this will work out...

Good luck! I hear you on the stupid crowds to do outdoor recreation. I'm glad you finally landed the job.

We moved with a 1-year old and it sucked. We packed and unpacked ourselves. We hired movers moving day, though, and that was worth every penny. Next time I will sell the house empty or staged and deal with 2 mortgages for a short period (most of them actually give you 2-3 months to make your first payment anyway. Showing a house with kids and a dog is awful. We also waited to put bids on houses until our own house sold and we almost ended up homeless.

1 hour ago, Jacen123 said:

I, for one, am glad that they found another use for a 90s era Pizza Hut building.

LOL!  It was actually a CenturyLink (a cable/internet company) building.  They are currently doing 3.5 million in renovations so it looks totally different now.   That picture is from when they were in the paper for buying the property last year.  

After getting a moving estimate, it will be cheaper to sell most of our furniture and buy new than it will be to pay movers.  Honestly, I am okay with this because of memories of certain people that have sat on/used the furniture.

It sounds like moving might be a great opportunity for you and the family to start the process of healing. It has to be hard still being in the same place, with all of the memories attached.

And also, huge congrats on the job.

• 3 weeks later...

So we bought a house, completely sight unseen except for the zillow ad and two zoom tours.  We close on April 15 and move April 30th.  I start at my new job on May 3rd.  We need to sell our house ASAP.  We have been busting our asses to get it on the market this weekend so we can get it sold this weekend.  We had cleaners and a handyman here yesterday.  The problem is that Denver is supposed to be absolutely rocked this weekend with snow...they are talking up to 4 feet (which I doubt) but even if we get a fraction of that, it would still be a HUGE storm and limit the numbers of buyers and the likelihood of a bidding war.  I am more stressed about keeping the house so pristine with a three and a four-year-old stuck inside all weekend rather than taking an extra week to sell the house.  We have a back-up plan to cover the down payment if we don't sell our house in time...it isn't pretty, but it works. 

Anyhow, with all of this, I have decided to resign my current job a few weeks earlier than expected.  My excuse will be the move, and that isn't totally a lie.  But I need to take some time to regroup for myself...get a few ski days in, spend more time with the family, and start preparing for the new gig. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.