Jump to content

Recommended Posts

image0-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=1244&

 

I'm really disappointed in this, because Joss came up with some great female characters, and seemed to be the real deal in creating opportunities for women. But instead it seems like he's a horrible person who acted so inappropriately to a young teenage girl that there was a rule that he couldn't be alone with her.

He created really fun, geeky shows, and did some good work with the MCU, but based on the number of people coming forward now, I hope he isn't given the opportunity to cause this kind of damage again. Some people just should never be in positions of leadership, and if he acted inappropriately to a teenager, screw him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He has a show coming out on HBO Max that they are advertising without his name, and I think he's stepped off the project.

One of my mentors, a woman, told me she interviewed for a job on Buffy. She was already older, having been a big sitcom writer in the 80s. She said he was pompous and ageist and kind of a jerk in their meeting. I assumed at the time she was just being sour grapes about it.

I never could get into Buffy. I liked Firefly, but to be honest, his culty fans ruined everything around him for me. I actually always thought he was kind of overrated. When he divorced from his wife a lot came out about him being gas-lighty about not having a ton of affairs. That wasn't long after the fallout with Marvel over Age of Ultron. He was a lot more low key after that, even with Justice League. He hasn't done any high profile interviews or appearances in years. I think he knew it was just a matter of time before more stuff started to come out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buffy is hit and miss. I liked it when it first came out but a big part of that was being a horny teenage boy and Sarah Michelle Gellar being beautiful. I've caught a few episodes here and there since the first season, and I actually started watching the whole thing, although I'm watching the seasons out of order.  I liked Angel, and I enjoyed Firefly and Serenity. Serenity was probably the best thing he's done.

I don't know any huge Joss fans (I know a couple of huge Buffy fans, but they hate everything else), and I don't go a lot of places on the internet where I have to interact with them, so they haven't ruined anything for me. But from what I have seen, they're frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They aren't as vocal now as they were say post Firefly, as Dollhouse was building up. 

Forgot to say, I've met him twice, once in passing at a party of mutual friends, and one time I shot an interview with him. He was pleasant and polite in both cases. That has no reflection on what he has done, just saying I got no creep vibe him and thought he was the feminist everyone else did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tank said:

They aren't as vocal now as they were say post Firefly, as Dollhouse was building up. 

Forgot to say, I've met him twice, once in passing at a party of mutual friends, and one time I shot an interview with him. He was pleasant and polite in both cases. That has no reflection on what he has done, just saying I got no creep vibe him and thought he was the feminist everyone else did.

People are complicated, and it’s important to understand that people can hold contradictory ideas in their head at the same time.

It seems like Joss probably is/was a feminist in general, but believed that he is special and better than others. A lot of successful people in any field fall into that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be a really big fan of his, particularly back in the Buffy prime time days. But I just find the show and his writing just doesn’t hold up. His directing has never evolved further than 90’s network TV. The Avengers films he did are good but they still feel and look like made for TV movies on the big screen.

And it really doesn’t help that finding out he was a bit of a creep a few years ago. . . But this is much much worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gamevet said:

WTF is wrong with the education system? That girl (Michelle) had used 6 periods between 9 words. 

It’s a common stylistic choice for showing emphasis in non-professional writing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

Didn’t realise Sarah Michelle had posted the same thing. Did something recently happen? I thought they might have mentioned something when his wife spoke out against him a while back. 

Ok so it was Charisma Carpenter on Twitter last week

And backed up by majority of the cast and now with the stuff from Michelle, think Joss’ career is certainly dead now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zathras said:

It's like everyone is now being revealed as scum bags.  Why does it seem like the entertainment industry is full of them?

Successful people who have power are almost always corrupted in some way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zathras said:

It's like everyone is now being revealed as scum bags.  Why does it seem like the entertainment industry is full of them?

This one isn’t too recent in the sense it stems from accusations from Ray Fisher about people’s behaviour on Justice League. He hasn’t been able to spell out exactly what happened, assume for legal reasons but you have Charisma Carpenter revealing this in support of Ray.

BUT if you want to look at it from a more positive view - the entertainment industry is changing for the better. It might seem like everyone is scum but remember there are more people from the entertainment industry now speaking out against these perpetrators than there are actual perpetrators. 

Plus every other industry is exactly the same, just media and politics get the focus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

This one isn’t too recent in the sense it stems from accusations from Ray Fisher about people’s behaviour on Justice League. He hasn’t been able to spell out exactly what happened, assume for legal reasons but you have Charisma Carpenter revealing this in support of Ray.

BUT if you want to look at it from a more positive view - the entertainment industry is changing for the better. It might seem like everyone is scum but remember there are more people from the entertainment industry now speaking out against these perpetrators than there are actual perpetrators. 

Plus every other industry is exactly the same, just media and politics get the focus. 

Well, yeah, I agree with you.  It is good that some of this stuff it now getting sunshine on it and exposed.   No one should have to live with sexual harassment or assault in the workplace, and not receive justice.   And yeah, the term casting couch has been around probably as long as the film industry.  That is a good thing and a step in the right direction to stop what is basically rape, which is one of the worst violation one person can do to another. 

I am just commenting on the fact it is such a bummer that someone like Joss Whedon, whom I liked some of his projects, might be guilty of all this.  It's very disappointing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zathras said:

I am just commenting on the fact it is such a bummer that someone like Joss Whedon, whom I liked some of his projects, might be guilty of all this.  It's very disappointing.  

Oh yeah right wIth you there. He was one of the last I would have expected these revelations to come out about but then when it did, it sadly makes a lot of sense in hindsight. When I used to be a big Buffy fan back in the day, I used to wonder why the cast never seemed to appreciate him as much as the fans. Now we know why! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Zerimar Nyliram said:

To be honest, I only ever really liked Firefly. Never got into Buffy or Angel, and God knows what he did to The Justice League was a travesty.

Firefly is my favorite Whedon show.  I wasn't in to Buffy or Angel, but I did occasionally watch them back in the day.  Regular enough I knew what was going on for the most part, but not every episode. 

3 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

In fairness to Whedon, that was always going to be a travesty with or without him. 

True. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

In fairness to Whedon, that was always going to be a travesty with or without him. 

The second they hired Snyder, they ensured the entire universe would be awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...