How will Marvel introduce mutants?

Spoiler free:

I think there are two major ways for them to introduce mutants:

1) The multiverse - they’ve always existed, but not in MCU Prime. They’ll be introduced through an alternate universe.

2) The Blip - when Hulk snapped people back, some of them came back wrong for some reason and have mutations

What are your thoughts?

I would prefer they have always existed, but just have not been featured yet. I mean Wanda Maximoff is a mutant, isn't she?  So was Quicksilver.  Just no Magneto reference. 

But, I imagine they will connect it to Endgame like you are saying, somehow.  

3 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I would prefer they have always existed, but just have not been featured yet. I mean Wanda Maximoff is a mutant, isn't she?  So was Quicksilver.  Just no Magneto reference. 

But, I imagine they will connect it to Endgame like you are saying, somehow.  

She’s a mutant in the same way Captain America is. They were mutated intentionally, they aren’t mutants in the typical form.

Yeah, in the MCU they call it “enhanced.” They’ve implied more than once that people with powers/abilities have long existed (and we’ve seen SHIELD be active In the 50s forward in secret), but stayed hidden. After the Battle of New York more and more started to surface. That said, no MCU character has been born with their power save for THOR, but he’s technically and alien so it doesn’t count.

Anyway— I’ve always thought that they could do it four ways:

1. They always existed, but were in hiding. They could show a flashback to the battle of New York showing X-Men’s first class as teens either on the ground or being told by Xavier to stay out of it, and then we could meet up with them present day.

2. The snap/blip or some other infinity stone mishap created mutants. The problem with the blipsnap doing it is that you lose the core point of the X-Men— they were born that way. So for the X-Men to be of age in the now, maybe they could blame it on some experiment on the Tesseract in the 50s. The trick is, even with young X-Men you have to have time of Xavier and Magneto’s backstory.

3. Alt timeline/multiverse. They’ve established it, we’re seeing it. We know Spider-Man 3, the Dr Strange movie, and possibly WandaVision are all playing with this. The X-Men did a time travel movie so we know it exists in their universe. And at the end of Deadpool 2 Wade has Cable’s time device (which is similar looking to the ones in Endgame. One way or another, it would be easy to transport them from another reality.

4. A combo of 2 and 3. What if when Tony snapped everyone back that was blipped it ended up bringing people back from different timelines. What if the timeline of the X-films were merged with the MCU, so mutants have always existed.

The big question is, casting. If it was all new casting they could go with option 1 or 2. But with Evan Peters and Ryan Reynolds coming in, that implies making the existing X-films part of the universe. But you’re not going to get Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman back... so the smart thing is to recast.

For a little while there it seemed like they were going to explain away all MCU mutants as Inhumans but there was some sort of course correction eventually, I guess.

Nowadays, I've kind of assumed it's going to be kept somewhat simple and be one of two options :

1) Status quo. I don't understand why it isn't just the same way it always is. Children of the atom, etc. They usually opened the X-Men movies with one or two lines of expository voiceover from Patrick Stewart about evolution occasionally taking a giant leap forward. Literally just that. "Why haven't we seen ____ before now?" is the kind of nerd question that doesn't really need much explicit addressing. Like, for example, they reconciled the coexistence of science & magic with a line of Tilda Swinton dialogue in Doctor Strange (2016).

2) The thing Bendis did in later years of the Ultimate line where it was revealed that mutantkind was not a natural phenomenon but was the result of a secret government program that spiralled out of control.  I think this, or something like this, is where they'd go if they want to gild the lily and explain their explanations with more explaining.

Other than  Tom Hardy as Professor X (he would be great as Onslaught, too, BTW) and keeping the guy who plays Colossus, I don't have names, but I want to see the very first class with Cyclops, Ice Man, Jean Gray, Beast, Angel for the first movie.  Plus Wolverine, Kitty Pride, Storm,  Rogue, Banshee, Night Crawler, , Thunderbird, and Sunfire (or Firestar instead if they want to even out the female/male ratio)to be added to the team in the second movie. The third movie could add even more after that like Bishop, Dazzler, etc. Cable can stay as is.   

My thing is they need to have people that actually match the description of the xmen.  For example, a short muscular guy for Wolvie.  ALso they need an AWESOME Magneto.   I think Ian McKellen was miscast.  I liked Fassbender, but doubtful he could come back, anyway. 

I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt could do Magneto. Bonus points for being Jewish. I’d like to see a movie with Xavier and Magneto being around 40 and the real first class of mutants being around 16-20. And I 100% want the original X-Men to be the team. Preferably without even a cameo of Wolverine.

16 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt could do Magneto. Bonus points for being Jewish. I’d like to see a movie with Xavier and Magneto being around 40 and the real first class of mutants being around 16-20. And I 100% want the original X-Men to be the team. Preferably without even a cameo of Wolverine.

I like that idea, except you can't not have Wolverine.  But I would be down for NOT making him the focus like the previous films.  More than just a background character, but less than a lead.  

25 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I like that idea, except you can't not have Wolverine.  But I would be down for NOT making him the focus like the previous films.  More than just a background character, but less than a lead.  

You can introduce him later.

But he’s been so overused in the past 20 years that I hate the character. He’s the main reason why I didn’t see any of the First Class movies in the theater, and probably will never pay to watch an X-Men movie again.

I don't dislike Wolverine, but he is obviously over-used. That said, given that he's arguably the most popular and well-known X-Man, (and honestly, before the MCU existed, probably the most well-known Marvel character second only to Spider-Man), on top of the fact that there seems to be a pattern of the worst performing X-Men films being the ones he's not in, I wouldn't count him out.

I agree that seeing the first class young would work-- it has with Spider-Man. Wolverine was never a student at the school-- most of the second class were called in as alternates then stuck around to teach at the school as it grew. I actually loved Wolverine in the 80s era comics where the younger New Mutants were actually a little afraid of him, and he was this strange cranky dude hanging around the school.

I kind of love the "lower decks" style POV of the younger class at the school and knowing their teachers all dress up as superheroes and go off on special missions. There's a set-up to that I would love a movie to really live in for awhile. I'd go for a middle aged Mags and Chuck, with the OG X-Men as the first class, but they are late teens and about to graduate. The lower classes could have the other X-men as growing up and they can age into it, whole the older ones like Wolverine, Banshee, Storm, etc. can come in as teachers. I supposed X1-X3 did this, but they spent so little time really developing the school, which I think is important.

I always liked the X-Men being younger, outsider, and a little punk rock, and it was Xavier's idea to dress them as superheroes so the world would accept them.

Probably one thing about Magneto is we are a little too far away from WW2 now.  I think if they do go with middle aged Magneto and Professor X, an alternate origin might be the 1990s Bosnian War and Serbian/Yugoslav war, considering that had the worst ethnic cleansing since WW2, except maybe the Rwanda Genocide.  

Since it’s been over 70 years since the end of WWII, you’re absolutely right, but I think you can just change the character so he doesn’t have to have personal experience with genocide. It could be that he’s the son of a Holocaust survivor. Or even a grandson. 

Since the MCU has made big stars of Iron Man and Star-Lord, they can easily do X-Men without having to have Wolverine in everything. Plus you get to add something to the sequel. A post credit scene with Wolverine would be perfect.

35 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Since it’s been over 70 years since the end of WWII, you’re absolutely right, but I think you can just change the character so he doesn’t have to have personal experience with genocide. It could be that he’s the son of a Holocaust survivor. Or even a grandson. 

Since the MCU has made big stars of Iron Man and Star-Lord, they can easily do X-Men without having to have Wolverine in everything. Plus you get to add something to the sequel. A post credit scene with Wolverine would be perfect.

The MCU updated Tony Stark’s mishap from Vietnam to the Middle East.

They should make Magneto Rawandan. The fanbros would just shit.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

The MCU updated Tony Stark’s mishap from Vietnam to the Middle East.

They should make Magneto Rawandan. The fanbros would just shit.

I think if one is trying to make an Xmen film closer to the original comics, the Yugoslav wars would be a better backdrop for Magneto's background, and would be closer to the original WW2 backdrop.   That is unless you want to change Magneto's ethnicity to African American.  Which could be interesting.  

BUT, I think there is DEFINITELY a Black Panther story in there with the Rwanda Genocide. That whole event was so sad.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.