Rewatching Battlestar Galactica 2003-09

Zathras

I think their wave away explanation is that only the first five models knew how to create biological models, the others didn’t, they didn’t even know to build the resurrection technology. But yeah still lame.

I really liked the boxing episode but the TV cut is one of the few better than the extended counterpart. The extended one draws it out and kind of loses the point. The original cut is much tighter. I think they even cut out bits of the score in the extended, which sucked because some of it was great. 

OK, Starbuck's paintings!

bsg1.thumb.jpg.76c99a39bb9d774b0bd3f7b29a5210bf.jpg

bsg2.jpg.png.bb653e64fb84ef77b8ec7a51e76e5557.png

So, during first run, I remember seeing Starbuck's painting, and thinking that it must be the ship of the gods from the OG BSG, and the resemblance is uncanny. 

whiteship.jpg.4118984f311ee96a4c47d19f9f8d24d6.jpg

Unfortunately, that theory ended up disproved.  However, after thinking about it, I think what was being depicted is actually the Cylon civil war, and the white star-like figures are either explosions or Base Ships. 

44 minutes ago, Tank said:

I remember freaking out about it being the white ship when that came out. I wonder if it was the plan at one point. I was certain it was going to be the device that allowed her to come back.

Same here.  In fact I seem to vaguely remember threads about that here.  But when I see the episodes now, and look at the Base Stars, it HAS to be them.  

OK except for The Plan, I have finished watching BSG. 

The Final Five: While I love Col. Tigh, the final 5 cylon arc really doesn't do it for me.  Tigh and Ellen, just totally seem like last minute retcons.  I hated that Tyrol was a cylon. Tory sort of works, but she was never a likeable character from the get.   Anders is the only one of the final 5 I actually felt made sense to make a cylon, considering Starbuck straight up says she would kill him if she ever found out he was a cylon.    I know literally from the beginning in the opener for each episode, we are told there are cylons who don't know they are cylons, but the way they were revealed was distracting from the greater plot of finding Earth.  As a trope, once you know, it's hard to rewatch season 3.5 on.  I also don't like how the "reveal" took up so much time and coverage, as well. 

Starbuck: I love her as a character and her arc.  One of the best things about BSG, actually.

Earth: I love the reveal that "Earth" was not our Earth.  Not sure I feel about the cylons and humans going to Earth to create a new hybrid human race, along with the humanoids native to Earth, though. 

Angels:  I did not like how the Caprica 6 and Baltar doppelgangers turned out to be angels.  Starbuck made sense as an angel (from their story telling perspective) considering we see her die.  

The finale did its job and wrapped up loose ends.  Loved the battle scenes and having the classic centurions in the Colony.  Cavel shooting himself was anti-climatic, but a great ending for his character, considering he was sort of a Hitler type of villain.  

*The Watchtower:  while they remade the song, I always thought it was fourth wall breaking, and pulled me out of the story.  Especially the season 3 finale, with the various final 5 cylons quoting the song for lulz.  Had they left off the lyrics, it would have been much better.  But still, there should have been a better way to activate the cylons, instead of a song.  I think it would have been better off if Cavel had some sort of plan to activate them to take over Galactica, but once activated, they remembered all, and rejected Cavel, except maybe Tory.

Over all, the things that bothered me before, bothered me again (pun intended), but still, one of the greatest sci fi shows, ever.  Makes me want to now check out For All Mankind.  I wish CBS would fire Kurtzman and put Ronald D Moore in charge of Star Trek. 

*I also wonder if Watchtower inspired JJ Abrams to incorporate Beasty Boys into the Kelvin-verse. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.