Thor: Love and Thunder

Ms. Spam

There's this thing Jason Aaron did in the comics where Thor gets whispered some terrible secret into his ear about Gorr the God Butcher (who is going to be played by Christian Bale in the movie) and it so unnerves him and shatters his world that it makes him unworthy. He can't lift up Mjolnir!

It's exactly like this thing Jason Aaron did in the comics where Frank Castle gets whispered some terrible secret into his ear by Bullseye and it so unnerves him and shatters his world that it makes him catatonic. He can't be the Punisher no more because of it!

In both cases the actual text of this terrible terrible secret is illegible to the reader of the comic and it's only revealed later what this terrible terrible secret was.

This might remind some of you of kind of sort of in a way of the thing with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in Lost In Translation (2003) or with Kiefer Sutherland and Sarah Clarke on 24 ('01-'10, '14). That's what was brought to mind by me each time I saw Jason Aaron pull his clever little trick. I'm guessing it's the sort of move that comes up in a lot of other fiction, too, I'm guessing if I bothered to look around TvTropes or whatever I could find an exhaustive list.

I am mentioning it now because it still makes me kind of mad even after all this time and I want to see if I'm still kind of mad by May 2022 when (if? fingers crossed!) the movie comes out. Comics writers! At some point they got their brains scrambled by prestige television, wrestling, and roleplaying games and now it's all they know! They're like those coal miners from the news or whatever! It's the only life they've ever had!

• 2 months later...

So I saw some set photos where it looks like Pratt dropped a lot of weight again. I hope they show it on screen, maybe a Rocky Training Montage satire with Starlord competing with Thor. Maybe have Starlord hear about the Subway diet during his time on Earth so he can use it as a clapback to Drax’s sandwich dig. Maybe like, “This is twelve sandwiches in, dude.” And then Thor can be like, “I just finished two dozen.” Then Drax can laugh and be like, “He’s still twice the man you are.”

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.