Jump to content

Catching up on the MCU


Recommended Posts

I was watching the latest episode of WandaVision and my wife joined me. We ended up starting over and watching all four episodes last night. She has only seen Phase I and Ragnarok. She wants to catch up now, so what movies do you think she needs to watch?

I’m thinking she can skip a lot of the sequels and could go:

Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Civil War

Doctor Strange (maybe could skip this, he gets a good enough intro in Thor 3, but you kinda need it for the heist in Endgame

Spider-Man

Black Panther

Infinity War

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel

Endgame

Far From Home

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in that case, I think you got it covered. GOTG 2 is pretty self contained, and not really needed.  I'd say the Spiderman movies aren't needed, too, unless you want to see Spiderman, but you get all you need to know about him in Civil War. Black Panther isn't really needed, either for the same reason, but it is one of the better MCU movies, so I'd say worth watching.  I didn't see AntMan and Wasp or Captain Marvel, and got by just fine through Infinity War/Endgame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Well, in that case, I think you got it covered. GOTG 2 is pretty self contained, and not really needed.  I'd say the Spiderman movies aren't needed, too, unless you want to see Spiderman, but you get all you need to know about him in Civil War. Black Panther isn't really needed, either for the same reason, but it is one of the better MCU movies, so I'd say worth watching.  I didn't see AntMan and Wasp or Captain Marvel, and got by just fine through Infinity War/Endgame.

Ditto most of this. Antman and Wasp is skippable, you can explain anything needed in a few sentences. Black Panther and Captain Marvel are 2 of my favorite MCU movies, so I'd recommend them for that, but they're not necessary to understand the overall story (though CM looks to be a bit more important to WandaVision, so maybe that's a good one to add on). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm looking at it in terms of understanding that storyline and the characters. And I would say Far From Home is important in terms of explaining the post-snap, but maybe WandaVision does enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really think Dr. Strange is all that important to either storyline. I'm sure you also can explain most of that in a few sentences. But then again, everyone needs more 'Batch in their lives. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cerina said:

I don't really think Dr. Strange is all that important to either storyline. I'm sure you also can explain most of that in a few sentences. But then again, everyone needs more 'Batch in their lives. 

I think mostly it isn't needed for the story, but it does serve as a proper introduction to Dr. Strange as a character.  And Dr Strange 2 isn't that far away.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I think mostly it isn't needed for the story, but it does serve as a proper introduction to Dr. Strange as a character.  And Dr Strange 2 isn't that far away.  

I think the main thing that’s needed is the Ancient One. Otherwise her appearance in Endgame is a big question mark.

 The other thing to remember is that we’re all fairly tied in to geek culture, so it’s a little easier for us to put pieces together. My wife is decidedly not that type of person. So I also want to avoid pausing movies every five minutes to answer “Who’s that?”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think one should watch at least the first superhero movie of each of the major players in the MCU.  I got by without Captain Marvel just fine, but  I also read up on the movie too, before seeing Endgame.  I still haven't gotten around to it, but if your wife doesn't know about her character and the movie, she probably would benefit from seeing the movie, as you have listed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just posted this in the Wandavision thread, but I did a bit of rewatching this weekend as well. Disney+ actually has an option to view them chronologically-- not when they were released, but in the order they take place. 

I think what you watch depends on what you want to track. If you want to track the infinity stones, you're watching almost all of them. I think the only ones that are truly stand alone are Iron Man 3, Guardians 2, both Ant-Man movies, and Dr. Strange. They certainly have tie-ins, but unlike everything else, they don't involve infinity stones, which is the thread that everything follows. I'd actually even say Iron Man 1 and 2 don't fit into that either, but they introduce Tony who the franchise is based around more or less, and appears. Also the Sony red tape is still keeping Spider-Man's solo films from Disney+.

If you're wanting to get a good refresh for WandaVision, you just need Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame to cover the relationship of Wanda and Vision. (And I suppose Thor, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel if you want to see the first appearances of the SWORD team members).

 

And sidebar, Age of Ultron is more fun than I have been beating it up for. Maybe have to go amend my MCU list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Age of Ultron is better with the context of everything that follows. It was a bit too over-the-top when it came out, but seeing how it needed to be to get us to where we are now really gives it a better perspective. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Cerina said:

Age of Ultron is better with the context of everything that follows. It was a bit too over-the-top when it came out, but seeing how it needed to be to get us to where we are now really gives it a better perspective. 

I think that’s exactly it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zathras said:

I think mostly it isn't needed for the story, but it does serve as a proper introduction to Dr. Strange as a character.  And Dr Strange 2 isn't that far away.  

It was pre covid and director changes but when Marvel announced the current slate of projects, they mentioned Wandavision would lead into the next Dr Strange in some way, so worth having the intro just in case anything does come out of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...