Girl Scout Cookie Season

Jedigoat

It's that time of year.   Little girls hanging out outside of the grocery store, guilting everyone into buying OVERRATED junk.  

Yeah, I said it.  People go crazy over thin mints, you're weird. 

But actually no, Samoas are, indeed, amazing.  I'll give you that.   And those new powdered lemon things, those are good.  And new s'more cookies are wonderful, but you only get about 10 in a box.   Which is your favorite?

My niece is a scout so I am more than happy to buy a few boxes of these overpriced, tiny cookie boxes.

We aren't allowed to sell at stores this year. Everything is online for us. We did 100 houses with door hangers in our neighborhood and sold about 11 boxes so far that way.

Girl Scout cookies honestly aren't that expensive compared to what you can get in the grocery store now. Admittedly about half of the proceeds go back to your local Girl Scout council for scholarships and maintaining camps. The girls don't get quite as much but its actually enough that my troop doesn't have to pay dues anymore, plus they get a big reward party of their choosing. At this point the parents only have to pay $25 for a new vest and insignia every 2 years.

Thin Mints are clearly superior. I'm so mad the one bakery got rid of Thanks-a-lots. Also their Lemonades are tastier than our baker's Lemon Ups. My husband is a Samoa fiend so I always have to get him 4 boxes so that he leaves my Thin Mints alone. I always get a few boxes of Trefoils/Shortbread cookies too. And my kids like S'mores so I get a few boxes of those, too. For those of you who remember Kim... shoot I can't remember her NN name, I always buy a few boxes from her daughter and have them shipped so I can have Lemonade and trying the new Toast-Yays.

Sorry guys. I'm a total hack when it comes to this stuff lol.

I usually get roped into buying at least some outside a store.  We've really been trying to cut back on sweets and trying to only get really nice desserts rather than mass produced cookies so that we really enjoy the sweet items we do get.  Growing up, we always got multiple boxes of thin mints, but I've really grown fond of some of the other varieties in recent years instead.  My older niece is in girl scouts, but she lives so far away that it wouldn't be practical to have them shipped to us.  Sometimes, I have just made a donation, though, since I do like to support her and the program.

6 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I'm lucky in that I usually look pissed off and a lot of the time the kids don't ask me. It never works with petitioners, though.

Probably because most petitioners are pissed off about something, and they want to tap into your rage. 

Typically, I walk like I have a purpose, and look like I am busy or late for an appointment, so both camps leave me alone, usually.    That, or I just have a face that scares children.  

On 1/29/2021 at 7:46 AM, Jedigoat said:

Did any of you guys stop to think the reason you're so unapproachable is because you're just too goddammed good looking?

Nah, I am pretty sure its because my face looks like it was set on fire and beat out with a wet chain. 

11 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Yes, you can't get it everywhere though. If your local Scouts sell Samoas and Tagalongs, they don't have them. If they sell Carmel deLights and Peanut Butter Patties, you can get them.

So there are scouts that don’t sell Samoas? Do they also worship Satan?

1 hour ago, Jedigoat said:

I had no idea it was regional.   I guess if certain items only sell well in certain areas, but otherwise......that's weird. 

I believe it is that there are two different regional companies that make the cookies and they have slightly different products at each one.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

So there are scouts that don’t sell Samoas? Do they also worship Satan?

Exactly. 

To me, if you don't sell Samoas, it would be like if a girl scout asked me if I wanted to buy cookies and I say 'sure, what do you have?'   And she answers 'nothing.   I don't have anything.'

Haha, the answer is that there are 2 different bakeries and so they have different names for basically the same product (small tweaks because their recipes are technically different). I grew up selling the other kind so I had to learn all the cute names but I used to have zero idea what on earth a Samoa was (its a Carmel deLight). I like the other baker's Lemonade cookies better than our LemonUps. Their S'mores are also better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.