Wandavision

Tank

I don't think going in and out of the hex will give anyone powers. I find it weird that one person's powers can just give somebody else powers. Otherwise, Wanda could run around giving anyone powers, which seems cheap.

I feel like there is something else about Monica that in addition to the Hex may result in her having powers.

Blip + Hex? She can't be the only one in the thousands there that was blip/snapped, so no.

Exposure to MYSTERY THING plus Hex? They've implied Monica has been to space. In her duty as a SWORD agent has she been exposed to something that the Hex is effecting? I'm leaning to this.

Not counting on this-- but what if that thing she was exposed to was Carol? WHAT IF IN HANGING OUT WITH CAPTAIN MARVEL MONICA AND HER MOM WERE IRRADIATED BY COSMIC ENERGY AND MOM DIED AND THE HEX IS BRINGING MARVEL-ESQUE POWER OUT OF HER!?

Also, re: my last post. I was confusing the Inhumans and the Eternals. The Inhumans were the ones getting the push in comics before the MCU had the rights to the X-Men. Their show came out and bombed. They are the ones that dealt with powers being bestowed by the Terragin mists, which leaked out into the world and made a bunch of new heres (again, when Marvel comics was back-burnering the X-Men).

The Eternals is one of the upcoming shows.

58 minutes ago, Tank said:

Not counting on this-- but what if that thing she was exposed to was Carol? WHAT IF IN HANGING OUT WITH CAPTAIN MARVEL MONICA AND HER MOM WERE IRRADIATED BY COSMIC ENERGY AND MOM DIED AND THE HEX IS BRINGING MARVEL-ESQUE POWER OUT OF HER!

I actually think it will be something related to Captain Marvel. She did kind of react funny when Carol was mentioned in a recent episode. I know the theory is because Carol ‘never came back’ and she is dirty on it but I feel there is more to it than that.

They haven’t said when Captain Marvel 2 takes place— I am assuming that since it will be the adult version of Monica in it that it will be in line with phase 4 and not a direct follow up to the first one... right? It seems like the first time she’s been back to Earth is in Endgame, right?

Or Carol didn’t leave immediately after and something happened between Monica coming back and returning to Sword? Might have caught up with Monica while she was hanging about for Tony’s funeral.

But I think you’re right, if she does have powers, I don’t think it’s completely related to Wanda. 

14 hours ago, Tank said:

I don't think going in and out of the hex will give anyone powers. I find it weird that one person's powers can just give somebody else powers. Otherwise, Wanda could run around giving anyone powers, which seems cheap.

Wanda has control of the Hex, but so far we’ve been set up to believe she didn’t create it. So it’s possible that people can get powers by traveling through the Hex, because it isn’t her power doing it. I can control where my car goes, but it wasn’t created by me.

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Wanda has control of the Hex, but so far we’ve been set up to believe she didn’t create it. So it’s possible that people can get powers by traveling through the Hex, because it isn’t her power doing it. I can control where my car goes, but it wasn’t created by me.

True, but again, I don’t feel like they can give everyone on this show, powers ad hoc. 

With the boundary expanding we know at least bee guy will have gone in and out as much as Monica.

So big spoilers. The Hex can either give or activate powers. It was Agatha All Along!

The big misstep was Major Goodner. This was a multi-episode tease to reveal nothing. 

Also there’s a mid-credits scene.

Despite the cool Agatha reveal (RC has done it again), and the birth of Photon/Spectrum, this is probably the first MEH episode of the season. 

I think part of that problem was due to the big miss on hitting the tone of the sitcom they were emulating. Granted, it was in flux a lot, but if it was a Modern Family / Office style fake doc, they really dropped the ball on being funny. And the "wacky" music to tell us when it was funny was not working for me.

For this ONE episode, the loudest complaints from people who dislike the show rung a little true.

One thing I did enjoy, was that Monica's "astrophysicist friend" that pretty much everyone assumed was a set up for a cameo (nerd-twitter was SURE it would be Reed Richards) turned out to be absolutely NO ONE.

I think that means Woo's missing witsec person is either Agnes or nobody.

I'm also sticking to my guns that the Hex border alone cannot grant super-powers and there is something else about Monica that caused her powers to be manifested by the wall. Anyone else catch all the audio drops from Captain Marvel when she broke through?

I’m not upset that it wasn’t Reed Richards, I totally didn’t expect that. I just expected some type of introduction that would explain why we should care about this character. 

I always thought what Jimmy’s missing person was just a plot contrivance - it explained why he was there, but wasn’t central to the story. But if he had continued to talk about it and the actor had made comments about people being surprised, and we got an introduction like that, it’d be lame. 

“This is Major Goodner. She helped SWORD develop ships when my mother was in charge.” Just something. Although with all of the Captain Marvel references, she’s probably a Skrull.

I’m going to go out on a limb with a theory: Agatha is using magic, and feeding on Wanda’s magic, in order to re-form the Infinity Stones. The weird roots we saw are sucking her power from the surrounding area, which is why Wanda’s control is slipping because Agatha is drawing more power.

Ah man - just watched ep 7 and came on to sing it’s praises, but surprised to see the disappointment. Ah well.

For me I really enjoyed it - loved the way they ended the episode with the Agatha montage.
The Office style bits to the camera were nicely done and generally I’ve enjoyed how each episode has moved the style of the fictional part of the episode along to keep it fresh.

I haven’t read all the comics - all my superhero knowledge is from the films and tv series since I was a kid in the early 80’s. Maybe that helps? I dunno, all I know is I am very intrigued where we are heading and really looking forward to the final 2 episodes!

Just now, Rogue 3 said:

Ah man - just watched the ep 7 and came on to sing it’s praises, but surprised to see the disappointment. Ah well.

For me I really enjoyed it - loved the way they ended the episode with the Agatha montage.
The Office style bits to the camera were nicely done and generally I’ve enjoyed how each episode has moved the style of the fictional part of the episode along to keep it fresh.

I haven’t read all the comics - all my superhero knowledge is from the films and tv series since I was a kid in the early 80’s. Maybe that helps? I dunno, all I know is I am very intrigued where we are heading and really looking forward to the final 2 episodes!

I loved it too. And I’m right there with you in terms of not having comics knowledge.

I think they’ve made one misstep so far, and that’s reasonable. And there’s still time for them to fix it, IMO.

I guess I just didn't find it funny like Office or Modern Family. I think if the jokes had been there it would have worked more for me.

Wanted to address the one other reveal.-- that the SWORD guy was basically trying to bring Vision back to life as his own sentient weapon. As Cerina pointed out on page one, Wanda seems to be stable and accepting of Vision's death in her coda in Endgame. I think she busted into SWORD to stop the experiments. Between that and finding out Agnes/Agatha is behind all the manipulation that takes Wanda out of the crazy/evil category.

Really the only missing piece in that case is why she came to this town in the first place.

Agreed that this is the lowest episode. I never watched Modern Family and the Office, outside of specific bits, never really did it for me either.

Glad the twitter crowd was wrong about it being Reed and/or Blue Marvel. I love twitter but twitter people need to fuck off sometimes.

Agnes was always Agatha Harkness and her song about how YOU NEVER KNEW IT was funny cuz, I mean, yeah, I did.

Generally though this episode didn't do a whole lot. Definitely the first where it was just a show, instead of a really fascinating thing I watch that makes me excited to talk about and see what happens next.

So I laughed my ass off at Wanda in this one. The boys didn't really though. So I think it has more to do with being a mom who really has reached that point of insanity and loss of control that you can't even care what the kids are doing that I really connected with. Because I've been that low. I'm really about there now. I don't know what's going on. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if I'm really connecting with reality atm. As long as my kids are alive, I really don't care what they're doing or if they've eaten or what. (My kids aren't starving or neglected, I promise. They're old enough to fend for themselves in times like these. Plz don't call CPS...) So yeah, her comments really hit me this time around. And actually, I think it was a laugh or cry situation. 

So what's Monica's powers in the comics? I'm sure that's been mentioned on this page already, but who knows anymore. 

Yeah, as per Darth Krawlies post, I haven’t watched Modern Family either, or the US version of The Office (outside of an early episode or 2).  
But the theme tune sounded a bit like the second one to me, and so I just associated it with good times watching the UK version with all the chats to camera!

Loved the bit with Vision in the stool and suddenly realising “what the hell am I doing?” - great stuff!  And yes, could identify with Wanda in just wanting a breather with the kids!  We only have the one, but she's a busy little bee!

Thanks for the tip off on the mid credits sequence! Had given up looking after first few episodes - super long with all the translated bits at the end!

I liked this episode!

• This one was kinda them leaping over the hurdle and going full CW show with it, I suppose. I don't mean as part of the sitcom riff, I mean that now we're going to have a show with a superpowered lady with glowing eyeballs confronting another superpowered lady with glowing eyeballs at the behest of a third superpowered lady with glowing eyeballs. I love it! Loved the post-credits scene where the superpowered lady with glowing eyeballs was unexpectedly confronted with the glowing purple tendrils of magical undergrowth beneath a witch's basement only to be surprised yet again, this time by the sudden appearance of a revivified speedster from another dimension! Yes please thank you!

• I assume they'll corral the problem of having to explain away why everyone else in her situation doesn't have superpowers by making it an additive thing. Exposure to Carol's Tesseract-y radiation + the Blip + repeated travel in and out of the Hex + grief + ??? = Photon. Everyone else will be missing some of those key ingredients and so they won't wind up with a superhero origin story.

• I do not understand why they showed us a makeshift S.W.O.R.D. base and then showed us another different entirely separate makeshift S.W.O.R.D. base. I was confused about the bases!

• I checked to see if Steve Gerber was thanked in the closing credits and he isn't!??? Are they going to do the Nexus of All Realities and not thank Steve Gerber? Come on!!!!

4 hours ago, R.CAllen said:

• I assume they'll corral the problem of having to explain away why everyone else in her situation doesn't have superpowers by making it an additive thing. Exposure to Carol's Tesseract-y radiation + the Blip + repeated travel in and out of the Hex + grief + ??? = Photon. Everyone else will be missing some of those key ingredients and so they won't wind up with a superhero origin story.

Yeah this is what I keep saying. I mean, I guess they could say it's because she went through three times, and everyone else had the barrier go up around them?

So maybe if Bee Keeper dude goes through one more time he too will get powers?  I still think it makes more sense to have it related to Carol somehow.

Everyone is talking about a big cameo at the end. Either it's Dr Starneg and the worst kept secret, or it's Carol. At some point you have to assume that if an Avenger goes missing, another Avenger would eventually show up right?

I've also been spinning out on SWORD a bit. If Monica's mom helped establish SWORD after the events of Captain Marvel, that would make sense. She'd been to space, knew the Skrulls taking refuge on Earth-- so sure, I'd buy a super secret space program that no one knew about... but man did they drop the ball in the battle of New York.

I mean, as far as prequel retcons go it's not a huge deal-- the comics have made much bigger messes.

But they definitely implied Monica had been to space.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.