Wandavision

Tank

First couple episodes are out. I love it. I've gotten so tired of Marvel's formula, the fact they are doing something off-beat and different is really cool./ It helps that I also watch all the shows they are paying homage to.

It just started so I won't get into spoilers or my theories just yet-- but this may be the show most fun to watch for easter eggs and clues with since LOST... but I got some theories.

There's two different comics series in particular that they might be culling ideas from.

In House of M, Wanda remade reality after losing her children and having a nervous breakdown. In the comics, she is an X-Men adjacent mutant, so when the Avengers and X-Men confronted her on changing reality, she cast the now infamous (if you're an X-Men nerd) "No More Mutants" spell, knocking out almost all of Earth's mutants.

Vision had a recent solo comic where he took a job in DC and decide to create an android wife and children to simulate having a normal live in the burbs and go to work 50s' sitcom style existence.

I don't really know what to think of it. Obviously there is a "reason" they are in the state they are in. That learn is interesting. The classic television side is lacking imo. My wife thought they were "ripping off Bewitched, but not doing it well". Maybe that'll part of it gets better.

8 hours ago, Metropolis said:

I don't really know what to think of it. Obviously there is a "reason" they are in the state they are in. That learn is interesting. The classic television side is lacking imo. My wife thought they were "ripping off Bewitched, but not doing it well". Maybe that'll part of it gets better.

In the same boat. I liked it but staying purely within the sitcom world was starting to wear a little thin for me, similar to when they did something like this in Mr Robot. I do like that Marvel are trying something different so it’s not a knock but I hope we get some more out of it pretty soon. This is one I think probably should have been released all at once instead of weekly, it doesn’t lend itself to the episode the week format as well as something like Mando. 

The episode lengths were a bit deceptive. Don’t have an issue with them but the credit scenes took up a large portion of it, about 6 mins? 

Yeah I'm in agreement on season release instead of week by week. But mostly because I need something to binge watch. My husband picked up on all the SWORD symbols immediately. I'm trying to figure out if Wanda is in control or not. Based on her saying "No" to the beekeeper coming out of the sewer (with a SWORD insignia on his back) and the rewind, I think she might be in control, but that seems to conflict with the voice on the radio.

Her neighbor is totally an agent. She's too ready to help.

So far we've LOVED it! Trevor and I really enjoy the sitcom throwbacks because we used to watch them. Noah doesn't get it but enjoys it nonetheless. 

I think the "hints" will get more frequent and blatant as we go through the decades. I'm also assuming that each episode will be a different sitcom decade which would being us pretty much up to present day for the last episode or 2. I'm actually on board with the weekly reveals versus a full release. I think this slow burn is a better choice. 

We also watched the entire credits up until the change in language. 

7 minutes ago, Cerina said:

So far we've LOVED it! Trevor and I really enjoy the sitcom throwbacks because we used to watch them. Noah doesn't get it but enjoys it nonetheless. 

I think the "hints" will get more frequent and blatant as we go through the decades. I'm also assuming that each episode will be a different sitcom decade which would being us pretty much up to present day for the last episode or 2. I'm actually on board with the weekly reveals versus a full release. I think this slow burn is a better choice. 

We also watched the entire credits up until the change in language. 

I agree, re: slow burn. What's the point of making it a mystery if you're going to drop everything at once?

38 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Yeah I'm in agreement on season release instead of week by week. But mostly because I need something to binge watch. My husband picked up on all the SWORD symbols immediately. I'm trying to figure out if Wanda is in control or not. Based on her saying "No" to the beekeeper coming out of the sewer (with a SWORD insignia on his back) and the rewind, I think she might be in control, but that seems to conflict with the voice on the radio.

Her neighbor is totally an agent. She's too ready to help.

I think she's in control of the world, but someone has put her in some type of state that is separating her from reality. 

1 hour ago, Cerina said:

I'm actually on board with the weekly reveals versus a full release. I think this slow burn is a better choice. 

I’m usually always for slow burn over dropping them all at once but so far at least, this feels like a feature length split out into episodes opposed to an actual series.

Off the first two episodes, I don’t think this format is sustainable as a weekly release. But hoping we get more than just the sitcom element in future episodes, which I suspect we will, and I’ll end up changing my tune.

Saw it. Liked it!

• I have no idea if this is or isn't obvious but I think (in addition to the obvious stuff) it's also riffing off a certain v. specific subgenre of sitcoms. Stuff like I Dream of Jeannie ('65-'70), Bewitched ('64-'72), and The Flying Nun ('67-'70) and the shortlived but influential My Living Doll ('64-'65). Stuff that was kind of America metabolizing the new sets of freedoms for women in the postwar era as magical or supernormal additions to either standard domestic life or well understood roles for independent women.
  • The show obviously owes a real debt to King & Walta's contemporary series but I gather they've also credited the artist/writer pairs of each previous series titled after the pair of 'em. The special thanks at the end of the credits are to Bendis, John(s) Buscema & Cassaday, Oliver Coipel, Steven Englehart, David Finch, Richard Howell, Tom King, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Rick Leonardi, Bill Mantlo, Roy Thomas, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Joss Whedon.
  • I assume the interstitial commercial about the toast thing will be played up later but within the first episode itself it's also a piece of wordplay about the toast w/the wine, I guess.
  • I don't know where it's going? That's a S.W.O.R.D. logo on the illuminated toy helicopter and on the back of Vision's (?) HYDRA (?) beekeeper outfit. Stark toaster and a Strucker watch. Agnes is Agatha Harkness, presumably, or possibly just someone who might as well be Agatha Harkness but they can't get the name because of rights overlap or because they're saving that character for a bigger role somewhere else. Something similar seemed to be up with what I've seen of the Netflix shows. Like, Nomad, he was on the Jessica Jones show but he didn't have Nomad's name but he was basically Nomad, now Nomad is going to be Kurt Russell's son in the upcoming show with Bucky & Falcon. What's the deal? What's happening? Scarlet Witch trying to bring back her lover (and maybe her brother) from the dead? And the ... government (?) is trying to stop her because they fear what her kids would be like? Agatha Harkness magically dialling in to Wanda's spell to try to recruit her into Hell's service? I dunnaknow.
  • Was there another Vision or synthezoid sitting at the table at the neighbourhood watch meeting? I kept expecting the scene to introduce everyone and to have a sort of funny unfunny gag of, "And here's John. John's a robot, Vision." and for Paul Bettany to splutter out something like, "How extraordinary and unanticipatable for us ordinary humans such as ourselves!". Was it just part of the show's weirdness quotient? Were my eyes playing tricks on me?

The MCU never fully explained his powers and abilities-- but we've seen him alter his appearance, phase through walls and floors, have super strength, and shoot beams from the mind stone on his head.

He was born via a merging an advanced synthetic android body Ultron was building for himself, the Mind stone, and Tony's JARVIS AI.

His comic origin was a different collection of parts, but ultimately resulted in the same thing.

So he's a sentient android that can alter his appearance at will and become intangible. But the gum was taken in while he was solid.

But also, Vision was killed by Thanos, so whatever this is, the normal rules may not apply. 

Yeah maybe. I never really liked either of the actual "Avengers" movies that I saw so I didn't see a real reason to watch the last 2 either. I did kinda watch Infinity War as a friends son was watching it while I was at his house. But I didnt really pay close attention. 

I love this show! It might be my favorite serial (aside from Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist) right now. I love just...everything about it. The entire aesthetic with each new decade, the mystery, the acting, the slapstick, all of it. I don't really want it to end. 

I’d kill for their house in 103.

The interior I mean. In true sitcom fashion the exterior doesn’t match up at all.

So in trying to figure this out— it seems like their friends know they are trapped in this reality— and yet the one friend, who wore a SWORD logo was ejected by Wanda.

So, my question is, did Wanda make this reality and forget, and Sword is trying to contain and infiltrate?

Or did Sword create this place, and she was on the inside, and everyone else is being held against their will?

Or did Hydra make it to try and regain control of Wanda and Sword is trying to rescue her?

Given that Vision, who has to almost certainly be a Wanda-creation, had a moment of reality-clarity, it would make sense that Wanda's not 100% in control. Now whether that means someone else is behind it or if she's suffered some sort of mental break keeping her trapped in a multiverse of her own making, I have no idea. 

Geraldine/Monica's moment of reality-clarity was odd. She seemed to also be coming out of a "fog" when she mentioned Ultron. But then she was quick to deny it, like she has been cognizant the entire time and goofed (though, "goofing" on that level seems a bit amature, but so does wearing a necklace bearing the symbol of your government agency...and why does such a thing exist???). And then, after ejection, she also seemed genuinely confused and scared, again suggesting that she's not cognizant of the dual realities. 

But then who was on the radio? And why was he asking "who's doing this to you?" 

And also, during the opening credits Wanda and Vision are all over town while she's pregnant. She's even shopping with Agnes. So why are they trying to keep the pregnancy a secret? I'm tempted to write this off as a continuity oversight, but I don't think this show is going to have a lot of those. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.