What new thing did you try eating this week?

Zathras

I mean, for a fast food burger, In-N-Out is good. Definitely a step up from McDonald's or Burger King.  We almost always get In-N-Out for lunch when we visit family in California because its nearby and it is the only junk food my husband will eat. We have a local chain called Blazing Onion that is probably more equivalent to Red Robin but better. Since they are pretty easy to get to-go, I usually just call in my order and grab it.

Five Guys is so greasy. Gross.

Chick-fil-A waffle fries are good, and I think once I got a chicken salad sandwich so I am a fan. But I eat there pretty rarely, maybe 5 times in my life, even though there are a few nearby.

I think we might have a Fatburger around here. I may try it thanks to you guys. EDIT: Never mind its closed.

In-and-Out opened in Denver recently and there were lines wrapped around the block,  I've had it a few times and thought it was like what everyone else is saying...fine.  I like Smashburger, but they can be a bit pricey.  There is also a place here called Larkburger that is similar to Smashburger that is pretty good.  

So...super unpopular opinions here....I LOVE McDonald's.  Like if I am having a bad day at work, I go to McDonalds for some comfort food.  I ONLY get the Big Mac meal or Chicken Nugget meal for lunch and breakfast burritos for breakfast.  I think they have the absolute best coffee not from a gas station (I love gas station coffee).  Oreo McFlurry's are great.  I also love Taco Bell.  I have never had a bad Taco Bell experience.  Taco Bell breakfast is super underrated...crunch wrap is great and they have great coffee.

I don't often cite McDs as a favorite, but they do make a good quarter pounder, sausage and egg burro, and I like their ice coffee.  I think most people who say they don't like them really mean they are everywhere and ubiquity breeds contempt. 

We stopped at Whataburger on the way home tonight and I actually wish we had stopped at McDonald's instead.  The food, itself, was fine, but chesseburgers and McDoubles are so much easier for fast eating either with a quick rest in the parking lot or eating on the go.  I also wouldn't have had to wait inside for as long either, most likely.

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

I don't often cite McDs as a favorite, but they do make a good quarter pounder, sausage and egg burro, and I like their ice coffee.  I think most people who say they don't like them really mean they are everywhere and ubiquity breeds contempt. 

Their regular burgers are really dry and salty. And once their fries get cold they are gross. I've always preferred Wendy's for burgers and fries if I have to do fast food. But McDonald's is really good at breakfast. IMO, that's what they do best.

Yeah, I have to be sparing on Micky Ds for the reasons you list.  I rarely can have fast food, especially fried, anymore.   When I do, I pay for it! Doesn't stop me sometimes, though.  LOL!   I'm just saying McDs is predictable.  That is good for the interstate, but not your waistline!

McDonald's breakfast is ten times better than their dinner menu.  And McDonald's breakfast is better than anybody else's breakfast. 

Their hotcakes murder IHOP's.  Their breakfast burrito, mcgriddles, all of it is great but it has to be fresh.  If it's been sitting for a while, forget everything I said.  Lol

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Their regular burgers are really dry and salty. And once their fries get cold they are gross. I've always preferred Wendy's for burgers and fries if I have to do fast food. But McDonald's is really good at breakfast. IMO, that's what they do best.

Now that you say that, if I don't have McD's for a few months, when I have it again I dislike it because of all of the salt.  Yes, the fries do not age well at all. 

12 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

McDonald's breakfast is ten times better than their dinner menu.  And McDonald's breakfast is better than anybody else's breakfast. 

Their hotcakes murder IHOP's.  Their breakfast burrito, mcgriddles, all of it is great but it has to be fresh.  If it's been sitting for a while, forget everything I said.  Lol

Have you had the spicy chicken biscuit?  I dislike the hash browns at McDs...Wendy's has the best hash browns. 

18 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

Now that you say that, if I don't have McD's for a few months, when I have it again I dislike it because of all of the salt.  Yes, the fries do not age well at all. 

Have you had the spicy chicken biscuit?  I dislike the hash browns at McDs...Wendy's has the best hash browns. 

I have not.  Oh, McDonald's has amazing biscuits and gravy but I don't know if it's still on their menu.  

I'll check out wendy's.  A lot of the ones near me don't offer breakfast though. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, RUAJedi2 said:

Omigod your meaty balls look delicious.

Wait, what?

Schweddy Balls

Panera has a couple of new salads, of which I tried one, and it was just okay. The honey mustard dressing is good, but there's a seed mixture in the salad, and if you bite down on one of them, it's like eating a bit of gravel. Real nice experience for our customers, I'm sure. 

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Went to an Ethiopian restaurant today.  Never had Ethiopian food before, but it reminds me of East Indian food.  I was only brave enough to try Fuul, which is sort of like a bean stew.  It was actually pretty good.

I want to try Ethiopian, but my kids are so picky it’s impossible. Maybe when going on dates can happen again...

6 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I want to try Ethiopian, but my kids are so picky it’s impossible. Maybe when going on dates can happen again...

Like East Indian and Middle Eastern food, Ethiopian food is eaten communally, and usually without utensils.  Most restaurants are Americanized  enough though, so you can request those if you haven't been provided them.  

13 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I made Tuna Helper last night.    Never again. 

9 hours ago, Zathras said:

Went to an Ethiopian restaurant today.  Never had Ethiopian food before, but it reminds me of East Indian food.  I was only brave enough to try Fuul, which is sort of like a bean stew.  It was actually pretty good.

I usually put tuna in my Krafft macaroni and cheese.  But I swear I have the worst taste in food.

This is going to sound awful and the most stereotypical American thing ever...but I love shitty American food.  Give me good dive bar food any day of the week over any other type of food.  I dislike any ethnic food that isn't super Americanized.  Even American food that is high end I dislike.   

I love shitty American food. Like I love a hotdog or a Philly cheese steak. And you can't go wrong with an American style burger... But I also love foods of other ethnic origin. I love food really. Not much I won't eat, unless it's full of pesticides and shit. North African, and middle Eastern foods are my jam. Syrian food is off the hook especially for slow roasted meats like lamb. Nom nom. Not many places where I live to get such cuisine so usually my wife and I will attempt to cook those foods following recepies, which are most likely going to be highly Anglicised versions. I would have loved to have traveled through the middle East, particularly Syria and Iran, Jordan, Palestine etc..don't think that will happen any time soon. Or ever.

49 minutes ago, Odine said:

I love shitty American food. Like I love a hotdog or a Philly cheese steak. And you can't go wrong with an American style burger... But I also love foods of other ethnic origin. I love food really. Not much I won't eat, unless it's full of pesticides and shit. North African, and middle Eastern foods are my jam. Syrian food is off the hook especially for slow roasted meats like lamb. Nom nom. Not many places where I live to get such cuisine so usually my wife and I will attempt to cook those foods following recepies, which are most likely going to be highly Anglicised versions. I would have loved to have traveled through the middle East, particularly Syria and Iran, Jordan, Palestine etc..don't think that will happen any time soon. Or ever.

I like golden oreos more than traditional oreos.  That is about as ethnic as my taste buds go. 

2 hours ago, Odine said:

Hot dogs, Philly cheese steaks, and burgers are shitty American foods?  Hamburger Helper or craft mac n cheese I understand, but I wouldn't call burgers, Phillies, or dogs shitty.  Maybe not exactly health food, but they all taste awesome!

I had Bill Miller's fried chicken. It's the first time in like 6 months. My tummy can't handle the fried foods no more.

In the rankings of burgers I will take Jim's over In-N-Out or McDs or Whataburger (Ugh CHOPPED ONIONS? slice them thin and hopefully make them red onions).

I will now regale you with a tale from my years of fast food.

I once made a silly bet with my brothers over the summer at my Dads. Dad required that we get summer jobs. We decided to put in 100$ in a pool per each person trying to win the game. The game was to see who could get fired from the most jobs by the end of the summer. I was fired from the same Long John Silvers twice. Once for sword fighting to the death in the dining room with fryer hooks to see who would have to take the used fryer oil out while the dining room was still open and the other was for telling an old lady to walk the plank for complaining about the size of her fish.

I am digressing.

I worked at McDs taking drive thru orders. It was slow so they told me to run to the cooler and get some of those orange juice containers to bring up to the front. I went to the back glad to no longer take those orders from GA rednecks with diesel engines right at microphone level. I opened the cooler door. And there were two grill cooks standing over the pickle bucket with their wangs sticking out of their pants pissing in the pickles. I quit on the spot. And to this DAY no more restaurant pickle chips for meeeeeeeeeee!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.