What new thing did you try eating this week?

Zathras

Mmmm Thai food. Quarantine has been rough because my husband, while we love Asian food, does not cook it very often. I mean, we do a fair bit of stir-fry and he does broccoli beef well, but like, I would kill for some legit panang curry. We really haven't gotten any carry out food, just like 2 or 3 meal kits from a few special occasion restaurants or wineries where we had to do the prep, they just provided the ingredients. I am going out to eat all the time when this crap is over.

7 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

I got an in-n-out burger for the first time today.  It was a perfectly fine burger, but was absolutely nothing special.  Is this just California’s version of New Yorkers going crazy about their style pizza?

When In-n-Out first opened up in the Phoenix area, I think almost 20 years ago,  there were only a handful of locations, and they were always busy, with cars wrapped around the block.  In-n-Out wasn't new to me as I have had them in Cali, so I waited until the hype died down, but tried them.  Like you say, they were good, just nothing outstanding.  I still go every now and again.  They are everywhere now.

The same exact thing happened with 5 Guys, Fat Burger, Smash Burger, Culver's and most recently, White Castle, when they all came to Phoenix.  People freaked out for a while and raved about them, until they all realized that while they are all pretty good...they are just hamburgers. 

Personally, I like grilling my own hamburgers better than all of them.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

They are. I prefer them, my kid likes In n Out. Some people say Tommy’s is the best, but they are dumb.

If I ever make my way back out there, I'm hitting Fatburger.  In and Out can screw.  But my kids would probably want to check it out. 

We have the same phenomenon where I live with new places opening up.  Lines are ridiculously crazy. In-n-Out was supposed to come, but the pulled out from opening.

We had to travel to do a green card interview for my wife and there was an in-n-out right next to us, so I figured this was my shot to try it.

of the places you all have mentioned, I’ve only had smash burger once and five guys many times. I remember smash burger being good, but I had that while traveling, too.  

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

I like In n Out, don’t get me wrong. They’re a bit overrated though. I always have to take out of town guests though.

One I don’t get is Shake Shack. 

Yeah, they are totally overpriced.  Not bad, but nothing special either. 

17 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

It was a perfectly fine burger, but was absolutely nothing special.

16 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

(perfectly fine but nothing special)

9 hours ago, Zathras said:

Like you say, they were good, just nothing outstanding.  I still go every now and again.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I like In n Out, don’t get me wrong.

That's the thing though. No one said they don't like it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.