Heir to the Empire adaptation

7 hours ago, Tank said:

It was grade school for me, between ESB and ROTJ. Starlog or a similar movie magazine was absolutely the source.

Same here!  My school library had Starlog for reading.  Many lunch breaks in between class spen there. I still have a few I bought in 8th grade to senior. 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, Zathras said:

Same here!  My school library had Starlog for reading.  Many lunch breaks in between class spen there. I still have a few I bought in 8th grade to senior. 

When we went to the mall, I'd just tell me mom I'm going to Waldenbooks while she shops JCPenney, and L.S. Ayers.  I'd hang out at the Waldenbooks magazine rack for an hour or two every other weekend and read Starlog, Mad, Cracked, and the check to see if any of  the Playboy type magazines had been taken out of their wrapping. 

Starlog was great. We had a Starlog store in the mall for a little while (Zathras: it was at Arrowhead, if you weren't aware of it), full of geeky stuff I could never have afforded there--the only place to see some of it outside of conventions. Spent a lot of time there, particularly around the time the special editions were released.

I know Arrowhead Mall well! My parents' house is about 2 miles away from it.  I currently live about 5 miles away. If I remember right,  wasn't it  on the second floor between Dillard's and Sears? I think the Starlog store became a Spencer's.

Correction, I think back in those days, Sears was actually a Monkey Wards.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Starlog was great. We had a Starlog store in the mall for a little while (Zathras: it was at Arrowhead, if you weren't aware of it), full of geeky stuff I could never have afforded there--the only place to see some of it outside of conventions. Spent a lot of time there, particularly around the time the special editions were released.

Did you guys have Suncoast?

37 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Wait, there was a Starlog STORE??!

Yeah.  They were what comic book stores have essentially become, now.  At least the one at the mall near me, they would sometimes have semi-famous people sign autographs, too.   Kudos to Krawlie, because I forgot all about that store, until he mentioned it!

35 minutes ago, The Choc said:

We had Suncoast here in NY but I remember it being more of just a general movie store than anything specific to geeky type stuff. 

Yeah they weren't SUPER deep nerdy-- they'd have some cool collectables. It was basically like a video store in the mall. But it always made me so happy to do in there and blow money.

Honestly I wasn;t really a "nerd" as a kid. I always liked Star Wars but other than having toys as a kid I never had any collectibles. I owned the OT on VHS and like I'd watch all 3 if I was home sick from school. But beyond that I wasn't into nerd stuff at all. Really it was the PT, LOTR movies and Harry Potter books all coming out in a fairly short period of time that kind of made me a nerd. 

I forget to finish my thought LOL. So basically I was just saying that because its possible Suncoast had some more nerdy stuff than I remember because I wouldn't have been interested in it at the time. 

42 minutes ago, The Choc said:

Honestly I wasn;t really a "nerd" as a kid. I always liked Star Wars but other than having toys as a kid I never had any collectibles. I owned the OT on VHS and like I'd watch all 3 if I was home sick from school. But beyond that I wasn't into nerd stuff at all. Really it was the PT, LOTR movies and Harry Potter books all coming out in a fairly short period of time that kind of made me a nerd. 

I forget to finish my thought LOL. So basically I was just saying that because its possible Suncoast had some more nerdy stuff than I remember because I wouldn't have been interested in it at the time. 

There wasn't nearly as much nerd stuff (Funko POPs, random nerd fetishes,etc) when I was a growing up or a teen, as there is now.  I was a nerd before it LITERALLY became cool, and it was not fun, but I didn't collect much, other than a few comics and not including childhood toys or models. I had to get to almost middle age before I started (or maybe could afford?) to collect things! 

1 minute ago, The Choc said:

Ive never gotten into collecting. I don;t think I own a single thing Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter other than the actual books or movies themselves. 

Probably a good thing.  Saves you money!   I am not over the top when it comes to collecting, and when it comes to pop culture, my stuff is mostly vintage stuff.  Compared to most collectors, very modest.  

I know!   I just thought it was funny.  

I was a nerd and a jock.  Played football and baseball, collected comics and loved SW.   I never gave a shit about Trek, LOTR, D&D, or anything else though.  Just SW and comics.  Oh, and baseball cards and trading cards but only movies.  Never got into Magic or Garbage Pail Kids. 

And I always read Starlog!

I didn't know Starlog existed. I definitely collected baseball cards. I suppose I was a sports nerd. I knew entirely too much about it. Still do. Thats really how I am with most things though. Im really not a casual fan of anything. Im either way too into it or I give up. Basically if I don't love something enough to become totally obsessed with it I don't bother with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.