Heir to the Empire adaptation

For the past week or two the rumor mill has been that the Disney+ shows are leading up to a huge crossover event that will be a live action adaptation of Heir to the Empire, in which they'll recast the Big 3 and bring in Donald Glover as Lando. I would hope that if it happens they at least keep what's his name as Han. Even though I didn't really care for the performance, recasting a third actor seems silly. I am still perfectly okay with Luke and Leia being recast, though. I get that Hamill has played Luke in every time, but I can suspend disbelief and accept it as long as it's good. 

But, having said all that, I really don't buy that it's happening. It seems like more fan-wanking about what they want to see, where someone said "Wouldn't it be cool if this was all a build up to Heir to the Empire?" and that eventually made it to "They're doing Heir to the Empire!"

It is not happening. I am not saying I know all, obviously-- but the small bits I do know do, in terms of production, do not jive with this at all. If it is a plan, it is several years out. Like at least 5-6.

But it sounds like the usual fan nonsense to me. When Admiral Yawn showed up on Rebels the same rumor was out there albeit in animated form. It makes ZERO sense for them to adapt a book they went out of their way to de-canonize. This is just fanboys not letting shit go as per usual.

All the evidence you need is that between the end of Rebels and Ahsoka's appearance on Mando  Thrawn is clearly being set up as the villain for her show. Last I checked, Ahsoka was not in the Thrawn trilogy. Maybe they'll recycle elements from it for her show-- but the rest of it is pure fan-fantasy nonsense.

Although I know this would be miles above most of the stuff we've seen from Disney lately, I can tell you that this most definitely is not happening. However, Fozzie, you may be interested in an ongoing fan project that is currently adapting Heir to the Empire into a series of CGI episodes. The animation isn't great, but it definitely has charm, heart, and feels like Star Wars. Look it up on YouTube!

[EDIT] Here's the full playlist:

I think it is true, it is for real, it is happening, and it is going to be a largely faithful page-by-page adaptation à la The Hobbit ('12, '13, '14). I am excited to see Chewbacca's claws come out so he can climb the trees of Kashyyyk. I am excited to see Luke Skywalker's clone, Luuke, get merked by the Emperor's super secret li'l pal. I am excited to see the secret smuggler spymaster information broker's two dogs named after a proto-Romantic movement in German literature and music. It's going to be great, it's going to be good, it's going to be appearing on all our screens soon soon soon.

I’ve been asking this for 25 years and no one will answer me.

What would Han’s clone be named! Haan? Haun? Hanu?

OH BUT TANK ONLY JEDI ARE CLONEDEDED

Okay, what would Obi-Wan’s clone be named?

It’s the stupidest thing ever. Far stupider than anything in any of the ST movies, except for a Palpatine clone.

Somebody go check the credits, was it actually Paalpatine? Maybe Palp-U?

Im sure there is some BS explanation but when I just read about "Luuke" it said he was created in a week. Doesn't this go against established continuity on how long it takes for Clones to  be grown? Not that I care but the people who like this stuff really usually do care. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

It is not happening. I am not saying I know all, obviously-- but the small bits I do know do, in terms of production, do not jive with this at all. If it is a plan, it is several years out. Like at least 5-6.

But it sounds like the usual fan nonsense to me. When Admiral Yawn showed up on Rebels the same rumor was out there albeit in animated form. It makes ZERO sense for them to adapt a book they went out of their way to de-canonize. This is just fanboys not letting shit go as per usual.

All the evidence you need is that between the end of Rebels and Ahsoka's appearance on Mando  Thrawn is clearly being set up as the villain for her show. Last I checked, Ahsoka was not in the Thrawn trilogy. Maybe they'll recycle elements from it for her show-- but the rest of it is pure fan-fantasy nonsense.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I really just wanted something to start some conversation.

8 minutes ago, The Choc said:

I never read this so maybe it'd be good. I really have no idea. But then out of morbid curiousity I decide to look up "Luuke Skywalker" and it's just preposterous. 

A few things:

1) Luuke is horrible.

2) Luuke doesn't come in until the end of the third book, and they could easily do an adaptation that ends with the first book. They would need to change the ending, but they couldn't do worse than whatever the hell the last book is called. I legitimately can't remember it.

3) As Tank pointed out, IF this happened, it would be very different from the original. None of the characters from these shows show up except Lando and Thrawn, and I guess Luke since he was in The Mandalorian.

4) It won't happen, but there is some logic behind it: take the Marvel approach, take ideas from other media and make it work in this format. Marvel has done really well with that.

5) Again, it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

Okay, what would Obi-Wan’s clone be named?

It’s the stupidest thing ever. Far stupider than anything in any of the ST movies, except for a Palpatine clone.

Somebody go check the credits, was it actually Paalpatine? Maybe Palp-U?

Obi-Wan's clone would obviously be:

LUfppsp.jpg

I always freely admit Im not familiar with the EU much at all. Im sure of it is good. There is just so much that some has to be. But really whenever I read something here that makes me for whatever reason want to look into it a bit and I read about it online I don't know if I've ever once thought "wow, that sounds cool". Usually its more "how in the world does anyone like this?". Having said that I suppose if some of this stuff is framed in the right story someone could overlook it. 

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

For the past week or two the rumor mill has been that the Disney+ shows are leading up to a huge crossover event that will be a live action adaptation of Heir to the Empire, in which they'll recast the Big 3 and bring in Donald Glover as Lando. I would hope that if it happens they at least keep what's his name as Han. Even though I didn't really care for the performance, recasting a third actor seems silly. I am still perfectly okay with Luke and Leia being recast, though. I get that Hamill has played Luke in every time, but I can suspend disbelief and accept it as long as it's good. 

But, having said all that, I really don't buy that it's happening. It seems like more fan-wanking about what they want to see, where someone said "Wouldn't it be cool if this was all a build up to Heir to the Empire?" and that eventually made it to "They're doing Heir to the Empire!"

I think this is BS.  That said, I would not be surprised if Thrawn shows up in Mando, or one/all of the spin offs.  

58 minutes ago, The Choc said:

I always freely admit Im not familiar with the EU much at all. Im sure of it is good. There is just so much that some has to be. But really whenever I read something here that makes me for whatever reason want to look into it a bit and I read about it online I don't know if I've ever once thought "wow, that sounds cool". Usually its more "how in the world does anyone like this?". Having said that I suppose if some of this stuff is framed in the right story someone could overlook it. 

There are a LOT of horrible ideas in the EU. And that really undersells it. But part of that is because Lucasfilm released so much stuff, and everything had to feel epic because Star Wars is epic storytelling. So when you’re putting out X number of books a year, and they all have to be epic, you’re going to get shit. That doesn’t really excuse Luke though. Honestly, Heir to the Empire isn’t horrible in broad strokes, but the trilogy really goes downhill from there. But even then, Zahn had some good ideas. The Force-repelling lizards are silly, but it’s a way of making a story that can’t be resolved by “and then Luke used the Force.” Making Luke a vanilla human for a good portion of a book works. It’s just that it doesn’t really follow what the movies told us about the Force. But then if they had explained it more, maybe it would’ve made more sense, but I would’ve hated it even more.

Even cloning Luke from his hand isn’t a horrible idea, and the idea that the Emperor kept it as a trophy seems like something the Emperor would do. But the problem was more execution. I think that Timothy Zahn has a bit of JJ Syndrome. He has great ideas, but especially fails at endings.

32 minutes ago, The Choc said:

That makes sense in canon. After he had that no good son who wouldnt follow him into a career in evil dictatorship he swore off sex and had to use Luke's hand.

Anyone else like to think of Palpy and his son being like Dr. Evil and Scott Evil?

I’ve never thought of that, but it’s a good one. 

I reread Heir a few years ago and for some reason didn't find Luuke (the character, not the name) to be as horrendous as I originally thought. My original opinion was probably formulated by popular opinion, at least partially. Sure, the naming convention is kind of silly, but is it anything to be outraged about? I think not.

Also, this convention was only practiced in the Spaarti cloning tradition. Luuke was grown from a Spaarti cloning cylinder. Palpatine's cloned were not, and in fact, retroactively speaking, were probably a continuation of the Kaminoan cloning method employed by the late Republic during the Clone Wars, absorbed into the Empire and taken over by its scientists (see The Force Unleashed II). As such, Palpatine's clones would not have been subject to the same naming convention as employed by the Spaarti method.

Cloning is to Star Wars what time travel is to Star Trek.

For me Lucas obviously had Obi Wan use the term "Clone Wars" in ANH so he kinda had to pay it off in the prequels. I'm glad he went simple with it by having it just be the storm troopers essentially. Star Wars isn't science fiction, it has trapping of sci-fi but its not sci-fi. So the idea of different cloning techniques or traditions or whatever just doesn't feel right for me. The more science you bring into Star Wars the worse off you are. 

I mean, to get back to it, I'm pretty sure this is just fan wank and we will get Thrawn in Ahsoka's show. But is the idea of an insane cloned Jedi Master really that terrible? C'baoth as a character made sense. Sure the Luuke part is cheesy but that was one small part of book 3. You could still do a large part of that story without that. But I don't think we will get any stories about the Big 3 between the OT and ST.

What I wouldn't mind is a young Princess Leia series. The book was good, at least.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

Stand by for insensitive/culturally offensive meme: 

95606b56751c3c083a3c108072272ae7.jpg.7e0d1ac191a1d0e5f824b8d6afee9c1c.jpg

6 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I mean, to get back to it, I'm pretty sure this is just fan wank and we will get Thrawn in Ahsoka's show. But is the idea of an insane cloned Jedi Master really that terrible?

It’s been so long since I read them, but was he insane before cloned or was it that cloned force users had a tendency to go insane? It was an idea I really liked in those books, a good explanation for why we don’t see cloned Jedi even before the prequels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.