What did you do today?

RUAJedi2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

Is she a puppy? Puppies are the worst. I promise they grow out of it but I'm never getting another puppy, only adopting older dogs.

We think she's about a year or so. The people we got her from had her for a few months (living in a condo, so no yard, and a newborn), and they got her from someone else who wasn't really taking care of her. There was also exactly zero medical records, so other than the fact that she's menstruated and therefore not spayed, we knew nothing about her.

Fortunately she's a happy, healthy dog--she just doesn't know how to dog at all, other than being mostly crate trained. There's been some accidents, she chews on just about anything she can get her teeth on, barks at everyone who walks by (we live next to a school and a park, so it's a lot), and pulls so hard on the leash the kids can barely hold on. To be honest, I was perfectly fine not having a dog and would've been fine never having one. I'm a cat person. I'm fine with having one of course, especially since Katie and the kids really wanted one. I wanted one pre-trained, because I want to do as little work as possible with the dog, which clearly isn't gonna happen. That's the trade off, though--get a dog for free instead of paying exorbitant adoption fees from a shelter, then deal with all the untrained shit.

We all had a hard weekend for a variety of reasons, and honestly a lot of our shit probably rubbed off onto the dog and that caused her to go ape shit too. Today was much better and I'm 95% sure we're keeping her. I'm still dealing with... I don't wanna call it PTSD because that's dramatic as hell and insulting to people who actually have it, but I'm dealing with SOMETHING as a result of all the change that's happened this year. It's not as bad as it was during the summer, but it's still there. Adding an untrained dog to it probably wasn't the smartest idea, but it's what happened.

Dogs need a lot of consistency, and kids are tough to have with dogs because kids also need consistency but don't want consistency. I get it. Adding our Luna was also really difficult at a difficult time (lots of COVID, kid, and work anxiety). In retrospect it may not have been a smart idea but here we are. I love dogs but I may be done with owning them after this one.

I do know of a good training place, but it's out by me. We had a lady come to us during COVID and she was a shitshow and expensive.

I have this fifth grade student "T"  that isn't necessarily a bully, but is continuously messing with other students and shows zero accountability and ownership.  He's one of those kids that if he were at most any other school he would have been beat up a few times.

Yesterday at recess I see T run into another student and immediately apologize.  I make a big to do and celebrate it--high fiving him, telling him I am proud of him etc.  I look over and see the other student upset.  I check in on him and he said, "after T apologized he leaned in and whispered, "I am sorry your mom has a big booty". 

3 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

In my head I am thinking HOW THE HELL DO YOU EAT TIN FOIL? I mean besides the taste it's got that weird texture on your teeth. 

According to mom--he was eating homemade jerky which was wrapped in the foil and he really liked the jerky and ate it too fast. 

2 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

This is where my lack of impulse control kicks in because I can guarantee a snort would've slipped out. 

Oh--it totally did.

That's the trick to kids who do "stunts" to garner attention. You can't laugh. No matter how hard you want to because it encourages in a positive reinforcement bad way. LOL 

I learned this the hard way substituting before I got my teaching degree. There was a kid I kept seeing in the same middle school where I was subbing who would do these things that were designed to feed his need for attention. My first time meeting him he came up to me at the start of an English class I was subbing and said Ma'am when I great people I breakdance.  He then threw himself at the ground and did the worm and all these kids in class started laughing. I was like that's GREAT and we started out the day but he kept interrupting the the flow of any start of discussion by trying to bring it around to him breakdancing and doing different moves. 

I had him in a couple of other classes but once I subbed in a class run by an ex military guy who did Texas history and this student informed me he wasn't going to stay in class because Texas history is a lie and was leaving. This kid then proceeded to slide a desk up to the windows along the back wall and tried to crawl out through one of those windows that lift up and out to provide ventilation. He was stuck. The whole of class was enthralled and I was like OH CHRIST I DIDN'T ACT FAST ENOUGH. He was a tubby boy and he got so wedged in that they had to get maintenance to come and take the window out with him in it so they could take it apart and get his tubby ass free. Of course he was wearing basketball shorts and the more he struggled the more his basketball shorts came down a bit until he had a bigger ass crack than a plumber showing. He started making his ass cheeks talk and farting and the class was laughing and we didn't get anything done. 

I got into so much trouble for letting that happen but I mean I was a sub and we were basically reading outloud not doing anything of value just busy work. But stuff like that fed his ego. He eventually moved on to high school and ended up in On Campus Suspension more times than he was in regular classes because he could never focus and do work. I hear he's a actor/character on the streets of LA now dressing up like a super hero in the Chinese Theater area. His parents have been supporting him.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

The other day I finally agreed with Katie that it’s time to talk to a doctor to get on antidepressants and the earliest I can get an appointment is the end of March lol hope I make it!!!

this has been a really rough week

I'll sell you some

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.