What did you do today?

RUAJedi2

Decided to bail on our campsite a day early and wound up trying to tear down the tent while a storm was approaching. As we were removing it, the wind caught our rainfly and literally nearly pulled Trevor and I off of our feet. We left about 15 minutes before it started hailing again. 

For a minute there I thought we'd beat the storm out, but sho' nuff  our road out was closed and we were forced back into town right as the storm hit. Wound up having to take shelter under a covered parking space in front of a store. 

I'm so ready to be home. The New Mexico desert weather confuses me, and I swear I'm drying up like a prune. My hair is crunchy and we can't seem to drink enough water. My skin and hair miss the stupid Houston swamp humidity. 

10 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Oh god we’re in Arizona and 100% with you in the dryness. It’s awful  we got here yesterday and it was eight percent humidity. EIGHT.

I lived there for 3 years, while I was attending technical school. My car broke down about a month after I'd moved there and I had to use the stupid bus system to get around. I remember it being like 115 degrees and I was stuck at a bus stop for nearly 30 minutes. I had gotten a 72 ounce big gulp from the nearby 7-11 and proceeded to drink the whole thing within that 30 minutes. My stomach was full of drink, while my mouth was as dry as the desert. I don't miss living there.

My wife is out of town, visiting with her sister, so I've had plenty of time to do things that I've been meaning to do. I really wanted to put my PC on the desktop, because I was constantly cleaning it. So, I packed away the Xbox 360 (really haven't used it in the past year), threw away, or moved some of the other crap and now I have a much better PC layout.

PC1.jpeg

Moved PC.jpg

Just dropped my mom off and now I’m not sure what to do. His surgery isn’t for several more hours, and we’re not gonna hear shit for several more after that. Do we stay down here in Phoenix, finding shit to do to kill time? Get a hotel? Go back to my parents house in wickenburg (1.5 hours away)? Drive back to San Diego? Every option feels wrong 

I’m glad he’s getting it. Sounds like the hotel is the best option - it gives you the ability to be there if needed, but you don’t have to stay busy the whole time.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:23 AM, Cerina said:

Decided to bail on our campsite a day early and wound up trying to tear down the tent while a storm was approaching. As we were removing it, the wind caught our rainfly and literally nearly pulled Trevor and I off of our feet. We left about 15 minutes before it started hailing again. 

For a minute there I thought we'd beat the storm out, but sho' nuff  our road out was closed and we were forced back into town right as the storm hit. Wound up having to take shelter under a covered parking space in front of a store. 

I'm so ready to be home. The New Mexico desert weather confuses me, and I swear I'm drying up like a prune. My hair is crunchy and we can't seem to drink enough water. My skin and hair miss the stupid Houston swamp humidity. 

After several hours in Austin to eat dinner and get some of our stuff that we'd had to pack into the RV so it wouldn't be ruined in our truck, we finally got home last night around 2AM Houston time, and our air conditioner isn't working. Based on our electricity usage, it looks like it's been off since Tuesday. 

And, of course, it's a holiday weekend, so we couldn't find a hotel room within a 25 mile radius at 2AM, and there's no repair guy available until Tuesday afternoon. 

Luckily (?), we're no strangers to this crap, and we actually own a couple of window AC units. Trevor got one installed in the living room, so we're not dying in here anymore. 

7 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I hope Dad's surgery goes well. Hopefully the hotel has a pool or something to keep the kids busy, something like that is a nice distraction and a special treat.

Not only was there a pool, but earlier in the day we took them to one of those family fun centers for a few hours, a geek store which was mainly for me but they still got a few toys themselves, and got to eat junk for the whole day. For them, it was pretty much the best day ever.

But the topper, of course, was that the surgery went well. My mom went back home before he ever woke up so no ones talked to him yet, but the doctors said it went as smoothly as it could.

I just feel relief that at least this part of it is over. However it went, I just needed it to end, honestly.

now I’m wide awake in the hotel for no reason at all

Glad it went well!

We visited the National Veterans Memorial and Museum today. In addition to the normal stuff, they have a 3/4 version of the Vietnam Memorial Wall up temporarily. Took the 3 kids (8, 5, and 2). They enjoyed some of it. I forgot to make sure my son took his ADHD meds this morning, though, so we had to keep moving. I was able to explain some stuff to them, and some stuff he was legitimately interested in, like the various guns on display from different wars.  It was free for Memorial Day, which is the appropriate price, but I did throw some cash into the donation bucket as we left. I love the mission, but it wasn’t worth paying for admission for the kids. 

A82530E2-3069-41FE-961F-F6E1A29B87B5.jpegC4A865B8-CB52-458A-BC38-D4B891552922.jpegD180057E-F0A1-4A9A-9E21-EA89826583DB.jpegC4D79215-E542-42EF-A631-563B4BD0FC1E.jpeg

I had a dream where Millie Vanilli never got caught.   They got inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame.  Never got caught, but in the dream, it seemed I was aware of the lip synching the whole time but no one else knew.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.