What did you do today?

RUAJedi2

I don't pop into Nightly these days as much as I probably should, so here's what I've been doing.

Trips - We're going to do a road trip to New Orleans and Austin in a few months, basically just to take advantage of COVID basically being over.  I haven't been to Austin in ten years so I'm excited to be back for some BBQ and the Alamo Drafthouse.  We're also keeping an eye on how Thailand's vaccinations are going, hoping we can go back there for two weeks in January or February.  Also, we *might* go to LA for the next Star Wars Celebration in May.

Hobbies - With Captain Trips coming to a close, live music is happening again.  Just when I thought I was out, they're pulling me back in.  I've already been involved with a little with helping to plan events at Bonnaroo, I might be a guest host on Sirius XM in a month or two, and my entire life has led up to me getting to see my favorite band Tame Impala on my birthday this September.

Work - I got another promotion and am working on a few more mission-specific things lately.  SLS finished Green Run Testing so things are starting to look really real for the Artemis program.  In theory, the first uncrewed mission goes up this November, and I've started to be on a few calls about processes for what IT needs to do ahead of launches.  I love my job, it's blast to even have a small hand in this stuff.

A lot of good stuff is going on, and I'm so glad karma has evened things out from last year's garbage.  My grandpa passed away, another long time friend passed shortly after having a baby, my wife lost her job, my beloved cat of ten years passed away, all sorts of awful stuff.  But she got a cool new job and stuff is going great now.

5 hours ago, Iceheart said:

But did you give Satan a lap dance? He kinda expects it now.

My damn thighs and glutes feel like I did! 

We didn't even make it around the Big Room to see any of the cool stuff. Once we made it to the bottom the kids (19 month-old, 3 yo, and 5yo) were just bored and done, and my 60 yo mother was about to die. So my sister, who had surprise menstrual cramps, and I decided to just take all of the littles and Mom up to the surface while the big boys got to see the good parts of the cave. 

In related news, my knee also hurts like hell today. 

36 minutes ago, Cerina said:

My damn thighs and glutes feel like I did! 

We didn't even make it around the Big Room to see any of the cool stuff. Once we made it to the bottom the kids (19 month-old, 3 yo, and 5yo) were just bored and done, and my 60 yo mother was about to die. So my sister, who had surprise menstrual cramps, and I decided to just take all of the littles and Mom up to the surface while the big boys got to see the good parts of the cave. 

In related news, my knee also hurts like hell today. 

Going into a cave is my one oh hell no and at the top of my list of ways not to die. 

https://external-preview.redd.it/-83OLeWWUWFh6cClH1DGpKcMC3c7Meo7EujlfkOYfEE.jpg?auto=webp&s=57cac6c104ee14666d037a50baa23500519286a8

I've never been terribly claustrophobic (except for having things cover my face), and central Texas is full of caves that I've been to before, but something about the 1.5 hour trek into Carlsbad just freaked me rightbthe hell out. Every time we would enter a new "room" and I'd see the upcoming switchbacks with no signs of daylight or a bottom...just no. I would have 100% rather have taken the elevator to the bottom and just walked out into a dark cave. Next time, that's exactly what I'm doing, and then also hopefully, I'll get to walk the Big Room and see all the good stuff. 

I’ve never been claustrophobic at all. I’ve gotten MRIs before. No problem. Then I had to get one about a year and a half ago and the thought popped in my mind “it’s not bad, just like being in a coffin” as like a funny thing but then it freaked me out.

Is it normal to be bored after periods of high anxiety? After all the stuff I've been worried about lately, I'm just bored today. Maybe I'm just tired of worrying? I've got all of our summer trips booked, calendar filled out... there's still stuff to do and I have fun plans this weekend for once, but right now I just want to nap.

Sounds pretty normal I think.

Don't know how relevant it is, but at the start of the pandemic the people I work with had to change business model from bakery into  bakery/farm shop/cafe/grocery/alcohol store to be able to legally stay open. It was a highly stressful and dynamic time where we all had to think on our toes and graft really hard to change things around and stay open and help people get their food and such and make a living at the same time. With PPE and social distancing and all that stuff to regulate as well. It was very stressful, but kind of fun. Now though, people are used to the world and it's pretty much gone back to normal and it's boring as hell again.

I think being in a stressful environment or situation forces you to think on your toes and be in the moment in ways times of relative calm and stability don't.  

So don't feel bad you're bored.

Also yeah, if you're just tired give yourself some rest. You seem to have a very busy life you deserve some chill time to be bored and nap

23 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Going into a cave designed for tourism is one thing. Crawling your way into unmapped narrow tunnels is entirely different. Why on earth anyone would do the latter I'll never understand.

I'm the opposite.  Tourist caves are cool but kinda boring.  I'd much prefer an undiscovered cave.   But if it's so small you have to crawl, no thanks.  What I most worry about is rain or water getting in.  

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Is it normal to be bored after periods of high anxiety? After all the stuff I've been worried about lately, I'm just bored today. Maybe I'm just tired of worrying? I've got all of our summer trips booked, calendar filled out... there's still stuff to do and I have fun plans this weekend for once, but right now I just want to nap.

That definitely happens with me, too.  I get super stressed and want nothing more to do than watch a movie or play a game as soon as I have time.  Then, once I do, I don’t really feel like it and end up wanting to just lay down and maybe nap.

Ya know what I didn't do? Go to my lakehouse. You know why? Cause somehow its a high of 45 and raining there. Really overnight itll be down in mid 30s. It won't be far from snowing. Maybe it even will snow? Who knows. By the way its god damn Memorial Day Weekend. Ill just sit and stare at this picture I took from my dock last weekend.

lake.thumb.jpeg.c95c235ae17218b87d4e4c3f36f611ef.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.