What did you do today?

RUAJedi2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tonight marks one year since I went to a speed dating event and then nearly banged a girl from the club later that night. I like to celebrate anniversaries for everything. I'm weird like that.

Tonight there's another such event, but we're getting a winter weather warning, so I haven't decided whether I want to go or not. Well, I definitely want to go, but I'm debating whether or not I should go. My mother is, of course, breathing down my neck about it as mothers often do. I've just been so frustrated with so few opportunities to get out of the house over the past year that I feel like this would be a rare opportunity to pass up.

I'm one of those "I-won't-live-in-fear" types, so I'm not really worried about my safety. Mainly, I don't want my mother to worry. I have a little over an hour to make a decision.

I... must... not... post... "What kind of ignorant, irresponsible twat goes to a speed dating event during the COVID epidemic?"

There. I didn't post it. Instead I'll say that whoever is hosting/sponsoring a speed dating event during the COVID epidemic is stupidly irresponsible at best. 

5 hours ago, RUAJedi2 said:

EVkWDkJWsAAj3Fe.jpg

It's funny that you're getting huffy and puffy about this. Even funnier than you're latching onto the COVID part and not the winter storm warning part, which I would think would be a bigger deal in most sane people's heads. Sad, however, that you're so willing to talk shit on a fellow human being (me) for something so stupid. I've got news for you: bars are open. Restaurants are open. Gyms are open. Not only are they open, but the majority of them (at least around here) are handling the whole thing responsibly. Nothing in life is without risk: either you can grow some balls, or you can stay in your house and be afraid 24/7, demonizing a fellow human being for a minor infraction against the pandemic narrative. It definitely shows what kind of a person you are.

For the grown-ups in the room, the event went great! There were only six of us--three guys and three girls--but we had an amazing time. The girl whose number I got actually ended up being someone I went to high school with, so that was cool. Hopefully, this will go somewhere. The snow never came, thankfully, though it is predicted to his sometime around 1:00 AM. I'm really glad I went. God knows I needed this.

We just got our electricity back after being out for over 34 hours. Apparently there's a HUGE shortage of electricity in Texas. The whole state is just out of power and can't provide. So we've been hunkered down at home around our gas fireplace while temps reached record lows. 

Down here in Houston, it reaches into the 40s (sometimes 30s) for about a week every year, and we deem it too cold to go outside. That's our "winter". We don't have clothes for sustained cold. The kids and I don't even own a coat. We get by with extra layers of long sleeved t-shirts and jackets. I own like 3 sweaters. The boys don't have any. So basically, they used all of their warm clothing playing in the snow yesterday and now it's all frozen in the garage because it was too wet to bring inside. 

Last night it got down to 44 degrees in our house and we woke up to frozen pipes and no water. Power was restored at noon today, but still no water. We're melting snow to flush toilets. 

Oh and I guess the water in the washing machine hose froze and busted parts of it. So even once we're all restored, we still won't be able to wash any clothing or towels (which we just used to clean up the water from the busted hose). 

All-in-all though, I can honestly say that 34 hours without power in historic low temps is still better than 8 hours of no power in the summer with normal high temps. 

I'm sorry about your Nan, Ms. Spam. Those photographs you've shared are beautiful! Thank you for posting them!

3 hours ago, Cerina said:

We're melting snow to flush toilets.

This is the sort of obvious thing to do in this situation that would literally never occur to me. I'm not just saying that. I keep a supply of water around for just this kind of emergency and it's only now that I've realized I could just use snow. Thank you!

Also, but of course, hope your situation improves soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.