Favorite holiday stuff and stuff that you don't get why it's so popular

Hobbes

I don't like Christmas movies. I've seen almost all of them, and see no point in rewatching them every year. 

I've worked in retail and restaurants most of my adult life, so you can imagine what I think about Christmas music. The  songs I do like are the humorous ones, by people like Weird Al or the Bob Rivers Comedy Group; or the religious ones, because at least the music is classier than most contemporary Christmas songs; and anything by Abney Park. 

I don't get the popularity of Elf on the Shelf. What's the big deal about this stupid thing? Even the memes get annoying after awhile.

Things I enjoy: exchanging gifts (I usually make mine), the decorations, and the food. 

I will watch all of those formula Hallmark movies and enjoy them at least once. The Christmas Card is still a fave and anything with Lindy Booth is worth it to me. I also like the one with Columbo as a magical angel . The only thing the above Bingo card is missing-the movies star either Lindy Booth, Candace Cameron Bure or Danica Keller. I like Elf and am sort of meh on Will Ferrell. I like every version of A Christmas Carol. I watched a film called Christmas Story (made in Finland) this year that gave a new/old spin on where Santa Claus came from. I love odd holiday films but not so odd as crap like Santa Claus and the martians. Animated is a plus. I saw Arthur Christmas a few times last year and couldn't find it for free this year and missed seeing it

Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year. Colored or clear lights top my holiday joy list. I also love the food and drink and the abandonment of reasonable portions and meal times. I even love fruitcake, but it has to be good fruitcake that sets you on your lips and hardly anyone makes it this way any more-it's a pet peeve of mine that people disparage fruitcake but have probably never had a good slice.

I love most Christmas music but agree any version of the Little Drummer Boy is vile-and YES EVEN the Bowie Bing version-its just a stoopid song. I hate the Christians think they invented and own the season. But I grew up Roman Catholic so I can't separate the religious stuff from the secular. My nativities have kitties and sci fi charatcters in them and my holiday Buzz Lightyear looms over all. I love lights on the outsides of homes but do not care for those air-inflatables.

Wrapping is one of my favorite things about the holidays. I spend time color-co-ordinating themes each year and probably end up wrapping everything a bit too much in my zeal to create the perfect looking package. I use about 8X the ribbon normal people use. My gifts look like sea creatures with many arms and legs.

One thing I don't like about Christmas-Rudolph. He is NOT an original reindeer. The story is one of sheer abuse and exploitation-his parents and even Santa Claus SHAME HIM for a nose he was born with. What the fuck kind of Christmas shit is THAT? Then when they figure out they can USE HIM because of his nose, he's the star quarterback! I'd have told Jolly old St Nick to take his sleigh and shove it! What kind of story is this to tell the children on the holiday?? And Rudolph is a stoopid name.

I'm also PISSED that when we say Scrooge, it's to analogize misers and mean people. DAMN, what's a guy gotta DO for redemption? Even the freak reindeer got a break at the holidays! This guy endures seeing four straight out GHOSTS one Christmas eve, just for not giving to charity. And the shit they put him through? Show him his beloved sister dying in childbirth again, the loss of his Belle because of his avarice,  then drag him through being privvy to what others think of him in the present day-I mean he has to hear it from their lips! THEN he gets burned alive in a cold grave? He becomes the best keeper of Christmas ever, gives Cratchit a fat raise, supplies the holiday feast for his family ON Christmas day ( do you know how much that cab alone would have cost??) and saves Tiny Tim's gatdammed LIFE, but we still scowl when we say his name. Why did the deer get a pass but Scrooge gets kicked to the curb? WHY BOTHER REPENTING

Cookies are my second favorite thing about the holidays. I love those chocolate crackle things with powdered sugar on them and the little sugar cookies you press Hershey's kisses into best. If you're going to make a normal cookie like Chocolate Chip or Snickerdoodles, they had better be holiday special, like colored sugars in red and green or two kinds of chocolate 'chips' or I will mock you. I don't personally like coconut but appreciate the sight of coconut flaked pastries.

Dinner-I'm down with anything from Turkey to tofu and anything with tiny marshmallows in it. One of my favorite simple dessert holiday pleasures was the Christmas jell-O my 2nd ex husband's Mom used to make. Green and red jell-O with a middle layer for cream cheesey goodness. I never got the recipe for that.

2 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I don't get the air fryer thing this year that seemed to be a mad request from a lot of relatives. One more thing that takes up room on your counter but you'll use a bit at the beginning but it will be relegated to the garage by Christmas 2021.

I use my air fryer at least 3-4 times a week.  I used it last night to make sweet potato fries.  You are right about the size...it is huge.  I keep it in a counter and it is kind of a bitch to get in and out...and it also takes up a lot of room in the dishwasher. 

I got  a pressure cooker this year so I am excited to try it out. 

We use our pressure cooker very often, almost every day.  We sometimes cook multiple meals in it per day, too, right now while we are home from work.  It has gotten me eating much healthier because the vegetables we cook in it end up being so nice and soft that I find it much more enjoyable to eat them. 

We go in spurts using the air fryer.  It is great for making fries, but I also enjoy making variants of fried chicken in it.  It was a wedding gift that we had on our registry, but we probably wouldn't have thought about getting it ourselves.  Despite its size, it does help us provide a nice change of pace to our meals since we try to avoid doing much frying otherwise.

We got an Instant Pot last Christmas and just used it tonight for the first time. Also the first time making chicken wings, and they were perfect.

By we, I of course mean my wife.

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

We got an Instant Pot last Christmas and just used it tonight for the first time. Also the first time making chicken wings, and they were perfect.

By we, I of course mean my wife.

So you have the combo device that also has the air fryer?

11 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

So you have the combo device that also has the air fryer?

I don’t know what all it has. I know she cooked them in the Instant Pot and then broiled them to get some crisp, so I don’t think it has an air fryer.

We do have an air fryer that we’ve never used.

21 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I don’t know what all it has. I know she cooked them in the Instant Pot and then broiled them to get some crisp, so I don’t think it has an air fryer.

We do have an air fryer that we’ve never used.

Dude, put those wings in your air fryer!

2 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Dude, put those wings in your air fryer!

I’ll have us try it the next time. Trying one thing for the first time was enough.

27 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

My brother in law got us some wing sauce for Christmas, now I'm going to have to try this instant pot method.

They were so good. They were crispy on the outside and falling off the bone on the inside since it was so tender.

37 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

They were so good. They were crispy on the outside and falling off the bone on the inside since it was so tender.

Yes!  Instant pots completely changed my feelings about wings.  I never cared much for wings before we started making them this way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.