Favorite holiday stuff and stuff that you don't get why it's so popular

Hobbes

Just curious what everyone's favorite holiday stuff is (songs, shows, movies, etc)?  What are some of these things you hope to never hear again.

Songs: Favorites:  Love the whole Vince Guarldi Trio stuff from Peanuts (Christmas Time is Here), Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Silent Night, I'll be Home for Christmas, Jingle Bell Rock, Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, Little Snowflake, Happy Xmas (War s Over), Chipmunk Song

Movies (defined as, is Christmas/ holidays a critical part of the plot): Muppet Christmas Carol, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Die Hard, Scrooged

Stuff I don't get...I never liked Rudolph, Miracle on 34th Street, any song about Santa (and Santa in general I dislike), and I swear I am the ONLY person to dislike the movie Elf. 

Best thing about Christmas...I love love love colored lights.  I would have colored lights up year round.  I want to own a bar just so I can be the bar with Christmas lights.  On the other side of the coin, I dislike white lights. 

Faves:

Medieval Christmas music 

Frankincense and myrrh incense

Real Christmas tree with multicolor lights 

Wrapping presents 

Original How the Grinch Stole Christmas 

The movie Bad Santa.

Dislikes 

Egg nog. To quote Cartman, "I fucking hate egg nog, seriously."

Jim Carrey's Grinch 

Mariah Carey anything 

Little Drummer Boy. Mary just had a baby. The last thing she wants is some damn kid baning away on a drum. Pa rum pum pum pum my ass.

Songs: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas but only the Judy Garland version. The versions with the changed lyrics completely change the song and ruin what its actualy about. The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole, Ill Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love. Really that whole Phil Spector XMas album. A Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives, Its The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams, Happy XMas by John Lennon, There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays by Perry Como. 

Movies or Specials: A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon), Rudolph, Yogi Bear Christmas, Charlie Brown Christmas, Any South Park Christmas episode but especially The Christmas Critter Christmas. Its a Wonderful Life. Mickey's Christmas Carol. 

The only things I hate are Hallmark movies, Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid, John Lennon Christmas War Or Whatever the Fuck, Wham's Last Christmas, and Trans Siberian Orchestra.  Everything else is good with me. 

There's too much good stuff to list, the food, drinks, movies, music, lights, I love everything about it except for the previously mentioned crap!

The Pogues Fairytale of New York has to be my fav Christmas song. Cliche as it may be. I saw them play their Xmas show in Belfast in 2013 and it was the best time ever! Fuckin crazy Irish. What a good time. 

Least favourite Christmas songs are the Mariah Carey renditions of things. 

Favourite Christmas movie Bad Santa and Home Alone.

4 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Not even Scrooged?   Bill Murray farts in your general direction.

You’re mixing up A Christmas Story and A Christmas Carol.

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

I did, cuz I'm a dumbass!  LOL!

It’s okay! We’re all dumbasses sometimes.

As for TSO, we saw them several years ago and I wasn’t exactly overwhelmed. It was enjoyable, and super cheesy, but I absolutely never need to experience it again.

songs:

The Cherry-Tree Carol

Little Donkey, Little Donkey

Christmas With You Is The Best

I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus

It's A Marshmallow World

All Alone On Christmas (which Steve Van Zandt שליט"א did for Darlene Love so she could make some money instead of handing it all over to Phil Spector)

O Holy Night and It Came Upon The Midnight Clear (both bangers) (anything that references a 'weary world' is a good'n!)

All I Want For Christmas Is You

Frosty The Snowman

Here Comes Santa Claus

I Wish It Was Christmas Today (Julian Casablancas cover)

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

Santa Baby

White Christmas

Winter Wonderland

You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Joy To The World

shows:

I dunnknow. I rewatched the Peep Show ('03-'15) episode where Mark's parents come for Christmas dinner. It's a good one! Set entirely within the apartment, too!

movies:

They Live By Night (1948)

Blast of Silence (1961)

Frozen River (2008)

Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (1970)

Metropolitan (1990)

Gremlins (1984)

The Lion In Winter (1968)

A Midnight Clear (1992)

Die Hard (1988)

Elf (2003)

Cash On Demand (1961)

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

stuff I don't get:

presents (I am 0 for 34! Where are my Christmas presents, Santa!?)

10 hours ago, Fozzie said:

You’re mixing up A Christmas Story and A Christmas Carol.

Haha! No, I love A Christmas Carol, both the Charles Dickens novel and its many adaptations over the years, though the adaptations seem to get stranger and stranger as time goes on. It seems they always want to insert a new twist with Scrooge's grave at the end, each one being more over-the-top than the last, with the Ghost of Christmas Future turning out to be the Grim Reaper, the grave opening up, Scrooge falling into the grave, or even having Scrooge go to Hell or Purgatory, adding a completely new chapter to the story. Honestly, I think the original scene from the novel is most powerful, where a repentant Scrooge is left kneeling and begging by the grave for a second chance as the ghost walks away, only to wake up in his bed on Christmas morning thankful to be alive. The earliest film adaptations retained this and were better for it, in my opinion.

But yes, I do loved Scrooged! Brilliant movie. Mill Murray is a genius.

I'm also not a big fan of Will Farrell. Some of his stuff is okay, but his comedy and characters tend to become much too repetitive, much like Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.