What's your favorite movie?

Cerina

Now tell me the following: 

1. Was there a protagonist and antagonist?  If so, who was the protagonist?  Who was the antagonist?

2.  What can you infer from the title of the film?

3.  How would you change the costumes?

4.  How would you describe the setting of the film?

5.  What criteria (identification, idealization, or moral complexity) would you use to assess this movie? For identification, is the film mostly about the audience being able to identify with the characters, or is the film identifying a new approach to a genre-type?  For idealization, does the film idealize a character or a subject?  And for moral complexity, does the film show that there’s no one right answer to a question?  Explain your response.

This is totally not me trying to cheat on my 3 week mini-mester Film Appreciation class. So if my professor asks, that's not what this is. But also, if you had to answer these questions about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince or Avatar, who would you say is the antagonist? I'm probably making this way more complex than intended. 

Before clicking on this topic I was all set to answer with "I don't have a favourite movie. I only keep watching movies in the hopes I'll find ones better than those I've seen before!" but now I realize I have to try and do your homework!???? And I have to choose to do your homework either about a movie I haven't seen or a movie I barely remember? Okay, sure, I'll try! For both!

Answers For The Questions About The Movie I Barely Remember

1. Was there a protagonist and antagonist?  If so, who was the protagonist?  Who was the antagonist?

Yes. The protagonist of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) was a boy named Harry Potter! The antagonist was ... Voldemort? Brendan Gleeson? The Doctor from Doctor Who ('05-'10) disguised as Brendan Gleeson? Uh oh. I'm not sure who the antagonist of the movie is. And I'm even starting to doubt there's even a singular protagonist!

Oh, wait, no! That was the one before this one! The antagonist is Alan Rickman. Professor Alan Rickman, final answer!

Fifty percent of the blood in our prince is missing!

I wouldn't! I know a lot of folks were kind of mad at how they abandoned the robes-only approach from the books but I think it works well on screen to have these contemporary teenagers in contemporary dress.

The movie is set in a school for children where for generations they have learned magic in secret and, up until the eighteenth century, pooped on the floor.

5.  What criteria (identification, idealization, or moral complexity) would you use to assess this movie? For identification, is the film mostly about the audience being able to identify with the characters, or is the film identifying a new approach to a genre-type?  For idealization, does the film idealize a character or a subject?  And for moral complexity, does the film show that there’s no one right answer to a question?  Explain your response.

I don't understand how this format works! Am I supposed to choose between identification and idealization and moral complexity by answering one among the subsequent three questions? Or am I supposed to answer the first question, then the second question, then the third question, and then the fourth question?

Answers For The Questions About The Movie I Have Not Seen

The protagonist was Sam Worthington and the antagonist was Stephen Lang!

Very little!

I don't think there were any costumes in the movie. Everyone just wore ping-pong balls on their leotards and then the computer managed to dress 'em up using math!

The movie takes place on Pandora, an alien planet so beautiful to look at people became depressed.

THIS AGAIN!????

P.S. I gotta assume whoever's marking your class's homework is blitzing through it, quick as they can, desperately trying to finish. They just want to vaguely eyeball you regurgitating the concepts delineated in the course itself in your own paraphrased but ultimately familiar language. They don't want to read anything new about the subject at hand. They just want to finish marking these papers! If these particular circumstances obtain then you asking for help from people outside the course itself may be counterproductive. Nothing anyone unexposed to the specifics of what you've been taught in the way you've been taught is going to register in any way as being the right answer.  Not to a frazzled overworked person skimming through both your answers and the answers of everyone else in the class!

22 hours ago, R.CAllen said:

Before clicking on this topic I was all set to answer with "I don't have a favourite movie. I only keep watching movies in the hopes I'll find ones better than those I've seen before!" but now I realize I have to try and do your homework!???? And I have to choose to do your homework either about a movie I haven't seen or a movie I barely remember? Okay, sure, I'll try! For both!

See now, this is why you're my favorite. 

Well, I'd take film appreciation from you, but you don't want to move to Texas to teach at a community college. Then you'd be my favorite. 

This is actually one of those assignments I tend to overthink. I'm going to stress about turning this in because I'm tempted to write a page or so on each question when, in reality, my professor likely only wants a few sentences. But seeing other people answer the questions helps me adjust my personal expectations. 

I once had a professor take an 8 page assignment and cut it down to 2 pages. The entire class was ecstatic except me because I had already written my paper and it was already too long.

1 hour ago, Cerina said:

See now, this is why you're my favorite. 

Thanks!

I used to be able to scroll down on the main Nightly.Net page and click 'Today's Top Posters' and then everyone would get ranked as my favourites in the order they were listed there! I can only love twenty Nightly.Net members at a time! And in descending order of priority! My heart could only be so full!

Luckily, things have changed now there's no such thing as a 'Today's Top Posters' page and my heart is freed to love everybody here the exact same amount i.e. not at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 11:35 PM, Cerina said:

Now tell me the following: 

This is totally not me trying to cheat on my 3 week mini-mester Film Appreciation class. So if my professor asks, that's not what this is. But also, if you had to answer these questions about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince or Avatar, who would you say is the antagonist? I'm probably making this way more complex than intended. 

I just saw this...you still need this? 

1 hour ago, Cerina said:

BTW, a 3 week film appreciation class was the easiest class I've ever taken. 

My freshman year in college I took music appreciation.  I swear to god it was harder than some of my major classes--which was physics so I had tough classes. 

We had to write weekly 2-3 page write ups on obscure instruments from around the world (at least half haven't been used in centuries).  For my final I had to I write like 20 pages on some obscure medieval middle eastern stringed instrument.  This was in 1997 when you had to actually scour the library for sources.  I am sure taken today it wouldn't be that bad.

I am 100% sure the guy did it to prove a point of some kind. 

I got a B in the class even though I got like Cs and Ds on all my papers (in that class my first draft was the final draft) because a chunk of the grade was class discussion and the professor kinda liked me. 

This class included 3 of these "papers" (just answering these questions for 3 different movies), 2 "discussions" (one where I swear to God I was the only one who'd seen both Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet AND the play...actually one of the few that knew the original was a play not a movie/book/novel), and a midterm (one question - what job on a film set would you like to have and why?). That's it. Literally it. Didn't even have to read the book. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.