Next Mass Effect Game

Zerimar Nyliram

22 hours ago, Tank said:

I was excited but not overly amazed by the comparison pics— but IGN has a big video now with in-game footage and BioWare released an official breakdown of some of the bigger changes. I’m pretty amped now. I’ll also be playing it on PC for the first time, so it should feel shiny and new.

Not sure what my build will be yet. I’ve tried them all and always found Infiltrator to be the most fun. BroShep never does it for me.

Companion-wise, For story I like to take Garrus or Tali as a regulars given that they are the only ones you can use full in all 3 games. But generally I base my squad on the combos I’ll get from my build and the type of enemy we’ll face (synthetic vs biotic vs soldiers).

I was meaning to ask you how are you enjoying gaming on a PC compared with your console experience?

It’s been interesting. Here’s what I have played since I got it—

State of Decay 2: This is a lower budget open world zombie survival game that I live despite all it’s flaws. I had played it extensively on the Xbox, so I got it to compare. I could see performance and graphics improvements instantly, but the game isn’t a graphical wonder to start with.

SW Squadrons: I got an Oculus to link to my pc to fly an x-wing in VR like I always wanted. The game has moments of being awesome, but isn’t great enough to love. The VR was cumbersome and glitchy, but glad I did it.

Cyberpunk: Probably the first AAA game I tried for PC. You can see all my comments in the thread we have for it, but  it was too much of a clunker to compare it to a console experience.

Disco Elysium - a throwback to the point and click games from my youth. Loved it. First game where I was mouse and keyboarding it instead of a controller but that fits the game style.

Gabriel Knight - one of said point and clicks from my youth. ...nostalgia was not enough to get me through 90s era gameplay.

Some Shadow Run Titles - I was really forward to these. I missed out on traditional PC RPGs having been a Mac and console guy. I loved Wasteland on my C64 back in the day, so when I saw a handful of SR games bundled cheap I nabbed them. Turns out, I really don’t love full RPGs. I just couldn’t get into them.

Fallout 76 - I loved Fallout 4 on PS4 and am excited to play it on PC with fun mods— but I played it too recently on the PS4 and I want to wait until I can return to it remembering less. I thought maybe despite all the bad reviews 76 would give me a fresh feel for that universe— but I should have listened to the reviews. It’s forced multiplayer set comes with so many arbitrary limitations that it’s just super not fun.

Dragon Age Origins - So... Generally I do not like fantasy. Early Covid, I was out of games and somebody recommended Inquisition, and I ended up really liking it. I knew the older games were more traditional RPGs but (like Fallout 4) I enjoyed the console-ized modern version hardcore fans seemed to hate. I’m actually up for a job right now that would be for the Dragon Age universe, so I decided to go back and play the others. It’s been... tough. I really am struggling with the control scheme and play style. Having older graphics doesn’t help.

Given how much Cyberpunk shit the bed, I don’t feel as though I have given my PC a true modern AAA gaming experience yet. Everything has been older, not top tier, or a remaster.

I have learned that I will never be a keyboard/mouse gamer. My son makes fun of me for it, but I find the intuitive use of a controller infinitely more immersive and organic. I also don’t love gaming at my desk in a chair. I like a couch and putting my feet up. In my new place I’ve arranged my office so I can have my 64” TV near the PC. I haven’t had a chance to try it, but I am going to run games to the TV so I can play PC titles on a couch.

I think the remastered Mass Effect might be the game that gives you your next gen AAA PC fun fest. Here's hoping. You must've noticed the better framerates since switching to PC though.

I freakin loved Disco Elysium so much. That game was a breath of fresh air.

If you're trying to get into fantasy Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is superb.. it has more of a "low fantasy" style, particularly in mood, design, and feel than Dragon Age. There are loads of mods to improve it too. From simple HD texture and model overhauls to make it feel current-gen, to gameplay overhauls and the like. I'd suggest Skyrim since it's basically fantasy fallout, but it requires A LOT of modding to make it awesome.

Witcher 3 was on sale for like $8 and I tried, I really did-- but could not get into it and found the control scheme just weird an unwieldy.

And yes-- in general, Frame rates and resolutions are definitely better overall. While I was playing Cyberpunk I was annoyed that what I was seeing didn't match the quality of what I saw Youtubers getting. My son (PC gamer for 3 years now) came and fiddled with settings and made it look way better.

I actually tried some playthough videos... the fact the PC doesn't speak (outside of the same 3 reaction/action lines) really hurts the experience. I checked some walk throughs and I'm about 3/4 of the way through but I think I am going to just quit. (unless I get the job). I'm with the Dwarves and good lord, do I hate Dwarf shit.

DA had a good take on Elves and made up a couple new races of their own, AND had some super interesting differences in human cultures... so why are they doing the same ol tired Tolkein/D&D version fo Dwarves. WE LIVE UNDERGROUND AND FORGE STUFF. Zzzzzzzz.

• 4 weeks later...

Trophy achievements were announced recently for the Legendary Edition and can be viewed here:

https://www.exophase.com/game/mass-effect-legendary-edition-xbox/achievements/

Good news that the ally achievements for ME1 have been adjusted so we don't have to stick with the same 2 throughout a run of the game and can pick and choose for each mission more or less.

Bring on Friday!

Ah no - sorry to hear that Tank. Amazon dropped mine off yesterday afternoon and I was nervously watching the download (and then the day 1 patch), installing (PS4 copy on PS5), and keeping my fingers crossed!

A little disadvantaged in not having played the originals (for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread), so not sure what has improved, but all I can say is that I am thoroughly enjoying the first game! Playing as infiltrator on hardcore and managed to get to the point of finishing the first planet after citadel, rescuing Liara. 

Bloody great game!

So jealous you get to play it for the first time. Watching a few other newcomers on YouTube inclines me to make sure you take your time, look everywhere, make sure you upgrade with gear you find, and most importantly, talk to everyone— especially your crew on The Normandy after every mission.

And cool thing— you getting Liara as your first mission was your choice, you could have followed the other lead first. The choices and classes and dialogue choices really give it replayability.

Definitely mate - last nights session (after usual busy day with our 3 year old!), I went back to the Citadel and did a number of the side quests which were great.
Really good way to expand the knowledge of this universe and I’m always a sucker for a side quest! Left it at 1am doing some missions in the Hades cluster I think it was. 
Might pick one of the next main missions tonight, but enjoying exploring and ticking off some trophy requirements!

I'm looking forward to playing through this again. I never played with the same character/save the whole way through which I would definitely do this time round. 

I'm sure the remaster will not satisfy everyone but thats impossible these days. Was hoping to get a new GFX card before playing any next gen (current gen really I guess) games but with the stock shortages I have no idea when I'll be able to upgrade. 

So I'll probably get this before too long and spend my evenings in 1440p space opera time.

It's reminding me a lot of the first time I saw the special editions of the OT. I keep noticing tiny little enhancements and tweaks that weren't talked about pre-release. First big one I noticed was that they gave Sovereign a bit of a redesign so he matches the reapers as they looked in ME3.

The overhauled inventory system alone for ME1 has been a godsend.

I've played through ME1 and ME2 twice, between the PS3 and Xbox 360. I tried to play it on PC, back in the day, but it didn't support controllers. The whole mouse and keyboard setup was pretty lame. I just might get this for the PC again, because it has controller support, but the PS4 might also be a nice option.

Progress update from evening 3 of play!   I carried on where I was in doing the side quests in the outer systems as well as scanning all the other planets for goodies, and then got to the point where I had a couple of side quests that would finish up in the same system as Noveria, so headed there to do the next main mission.   

Enjoyed working through the requirements to get the pass and head to the facility at Peak 15 (using Liara and Tali as they seem a good combo and I wanted Liara involved when I found out who else was supposedly here), and left it at the stage of having powered up and heading to the Tram section.    

Great stuff - and even though I am taking my time and enjoying it, it's a really nice thought knowing I have 2 further games with this character afterwards!   :yes:

I'm also getting lots of fond memories of playing the 2 KOTOR games from many years back - little things like music elements and the speech patterns of one of the alien races being in a similar style to HK-47's.   So that's good seeing those little nods to their earlier games!

Noveria is a great location. Probably my favorite world in ME1I really love the brutalist design of it and the set up that it’s massive remote for-rent science facility corporations can use to experiment outside the law full of mercs, rogue scientists, and experiments.

I was also surprised how extensive it was first time I’ve played. If you’re headed for the Peak facility you’ve got another handful of quests waiting for you.

I’m a little behind you. I’ve done Eden Prime and the first wave of side missions on the citadel, recruited Wrex, Garrus, and Tali, and also chose to find Liara first so I’d have the full team. Did a few side missions on rando worlds—  the Mako is still a goofy ride. It’s a lot better than it used to be, but the rides in ME:2 and ME:A are so much better.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

I've been playing it with controller, on my PC, but piped to my 64" TV,. Between the remaster and the PC in general, it's beyond crushing my experience on the 360.

Are you using the Steam streaming feature? I once used that for Fallout 4, where I was streaming from my more powerful gaming PC, to the one attached to the big screen in the living room. That PC was eventually moved to the living room (i7-4790k with a GTX 1080), when I got a 9900k and 2080 Super last year. I was switching between the two PCs this weekend, while playing Resident Evil Village. I like how Steam saves your profiles, so you can pick up where you left off on another computer.

I was never super happy with streaming games, there were always glitches or lags. I’m actually just running a HDMI cable from my video card directly to the TV and sitting on a couch with wireless controllers and headphones.

B68AFCA6-897C-4351-B8C7-DBC834DA30FA.jpeg

4AC8E9D2-00EE-4C45-BC76-CC40527A2DBB.jpeg

Evening 4 was a little later starting after patch 1.02 came as a cheeky little 30 minute download surprise when I booted up my console!   

But all good - finished off Noveria with the post tram section (Rift station) - again great story detail with the virus the Rachni and of course, Benezia.    Very enjoyable planet like you said Tank - the initial corrupt Port and all it's fun missions, Peak 15 with it's broken systems, and the conclusion in Rift station.   Lovely stuff!

After that, progressed with smaller missions in the other systems and moved the storyline with companions (managed to get Wrex to give me a mission on his family armour and Garrus for a dodgy Doctor, both of which are now done) and have left it at on a planet (forget the name now) where a mission was given to me early on to investigate a biotic group cutting themselves off and bad mouthing the alliance.    

Woo-ing Liara and feel the smooth talking is going well!  Time to get the old Barry White tunes going on the Normandy! :yes:   Probs carry on with side missions and a return to Citadel next to close out some completion bits, and then I'm guessing Feros is the next sensible option as Virmire has only just popped up after the last main mission.

Day off work tomorrow after a busy spell, so will definitely be playing some more!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.