Procrastinating

Cerina

I have a 1000 word essay final due in 2 hours and 10 minutes. I have 594 words written, and right now, I'm putting on a private karaoke concert for my planners. 

I've known about this essay since the first day of class. I had to turn in a thesis for it a week ago even. 

What are the chances that I turn it in with less than 10 minutes to spare?

And why the fuck am I like this?!?

I hope you turned it in on time.

I'm the same way, to be honest, especially when writing essays or thesis papers. My MA degree required a LOT of writing, with my capstone paper just under 100 pages, minus citations and appendices.  I had all semester to do that paper, but I did the majority in the 3 days prior to the due date.  It seems I always pull it off in the 11th hour, and I usually do well.  I've also wondered why I procrastinatet, too. I think for me, at least, even when I am not actively working on a paper, I am always thinking about it in the back of my mind, so that counts.  Also, I feel like I do my best work when the pressure is on. 

Yeah, that sounds like me. I typically do well even when I procrastinate. In fact, I often still outperform my peers, and it's always been this way. So I'm sure that it's just a bad habit I've built up through life. 

And I totally knew what I wanted to write and say. I had a few notes scribbled here and there about it, but most of it was in the back of my head. I just had to actually DO IT. But I finally did. I turned it in with 20 minutes to spare. 

In a lot of areas, I'm the opposite. I HATE the pressure of leaving things until the last minute. I can do it, and normally I do well, but it just makes me anxious. I'm the guy who writes the final paper during the first week of classes.  At one point I finished all of the work for one class during the first week. It was great, because I spent 10 weeks doing nothing.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

"I do my best work under pressure."

Not actually a lie...

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

In a lot of areas, I'm the opposite. I HATE the pressure of leaving things until the last minute. I can do it, and normally I do well, but it just makes me anxious. I'm the guy who writes the final paper during the first week of classes.  At one point I finished all of the work for one class during the first week. It was great, because I spent 10 weeks doing nothing.

For me at least, at work, I am that. I always look for ways to prevent calls, and get my tickets for tech support done ASAP.  I hate dragging work out.

But as for SCHOOL work, I NEED the pressure for some reason.  I can't explain it beyond that, but when I have tried to work early, especially if I was writing an essay, i just could not figure out to construct my thoughts and write them.  But 3 days before due date, my writing for my assignment just flows.  I can only think the pressure has something to do with lighting a fire under my ass. 

I have put off actual christmas shopping until this last minute for mailing and basically I feel okay with that. But then I go out and try and buy stuff and people EW. I'm going to get covid over a dumb gift. 

Also one of my family requested an air fryer on their christmas gift. I was looking back and saw they asked for one and GOT IT last year. Like what am I - a supplier of air fryers? NO CAN DO.

So now I'm doing a 3 week mini-mester class. Typically these classes are all doled out at once at the beginning, so you can plan and execute a whole plan to shove 16 weeks into 3. But not this class, of course. Actually this course is kinda weird. There are very few assignments, and they seem waaaay too easy for my anxiety-level to accept. I'll be very happy when this one ends. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.