Disney Investor News Dump

The Choc

I mean if that is the case then if he is that easily triggered by a reaction video of all things then he shouldn’t be  in the job. This isn’t like when RJ was giving s**t to trolls. 

Jedi goat is right that it the actual tweet itself isn’t bad at all but it’s the perception it sets. At my company, if I was to make fun of a client or customer for enjoying our product, I’d probably be out the door. 

But if it was a toxic video or tweet Pablo responded to, the narrative would be a lot different. 

Mark is great, how can you not love him? But really ever since TFA he's wanted it to be about him, or be about Luke. Remember he wanted to show up at Star Killer Base and save the day in TFA. He wanted to physically get off the island in TLJ. And there is nothing wrong with that, its understandable. I think when he was asked to come back he expected scenes like this. He didn't get it and it bummed him out in some ways. I don't think its fair to equate "true fans" with loving this scene though. Just like it wouldn't be fair for me to equate being a "true fan" with loving the ST or TLJ. 

Everyone is a true fan, other than those who are overly angry and toxic. 

6 hours ago, Odine said:

Because being angry isn't a valid emotion for a fan?

Just because you don't like someone's behaviour doesn't mean they don't have as strong a connection to a thing (star wars) as anyone else. No matter how repugnant. 

I said overly angry and toxic. But yes I'd say if you are any more than a cursory sort of "oh man, that sucked" then that is invalid, ridiculous and sad. I dislike The Rise of Skywalker. I'll probably never watch the movie again. And thats fine, there is plenty of Star Wars I do like and hopefully much more on the way. Why would I, or anyone else, dwell on the parts I don't. Itd be like sitting at a big dinner with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc. Liking everything but the sweet potatoes but then keep on eating the sweet potatoes and then complaining about them. It makes no sense.

Furthermore I'd say anyone who allows their dislike of a movie to lead them to anger and then to lashing out cannot be a Star Wars fan. You can't be a fan if you just ignore the morals and themes and lessons of the series. Probably the main theme of the entire series is how anger can destroy us. How can anyone be a real fan of Star Wars if they allow their anger to push them to act in a toxic way? Especially their anger relating directly from Star Wars itself. They can't be. 

There are 11 Star Wars movies, a live action show, several animated shows, books, video games and god knows what else. If from all of that you only love one movie, you are a true Star Wars fan. If you love every single thing of that but 1 movie and your dislike of that one movie makes you so angry that you act out and harrass people online, act in racist or misogynistic ways. Then you aren't and cannot be a true Star Wars fan. 

3 hours ago, The Choc said:

I said overly angry and toxic. But yes I'd say if you are any more than a cursory sort of "oh man, that sucked" then that is invalid, ridiculous and sad. I dislike The Rise of Skywalker. I'll probably never watch the movie again. And thats fine, there is plenty of Star Wars I do like and hopefully much more on the way. Why would I, or anyone else, dwell on the parts I don't. Itd be like sitting at a big dinner with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc. Liking everything but the sweet potatoes but then keep on eating the sweet potatoes and then complaining about them. It makes no sense. 

Or when I'm sitting at this table full of food made by different people and when I don't like the sweet potatoes I'm accused of being racist because the sweet potatoes were made by a woman of Vietnamese descent. 

You don't have to embody the moral themes of a form of entertainment to be a "true" fan of that entertainment. You sound as ridiculous as the toxic YouTubers you're complaining about. If that were the case to be a fan of black metal Id need to go gallivanting through the woods at night in corpse paint wearing a cape whilst invoking Satan, burn some churches to the ground and potentially murder my mate to be authentic to the spirit of the music. Ridiculous. You can be as die hard about the themes as much or as little as you like. What matters is if you like the art/product at the end of the day and *get* it. Or in other words you can be an arsehole and still be as true a fan of star wars as the nicest fan in the room. Moreover, no one is the sole arbiter of *trueness* in any form of fandom. Much less yourself.

Back to the Mandalorian..

I just binged season 2 in two days. Had the ending spoiled for me so I knew it was coming which kind of sucked. Though I thought it was fitting, the ending that is....not having it spoiled. Thought the Luke CGI was rubbish. CGI humans done to that level of realism look incredibly fake once they're next to an actual real life human. The eye just doesn't buy it at a certain level of detail. Especially next to an actor.

Thought Ashoka stuff was awesome. There were some of the best moments of any Star Wars in this season. Certainly, for myself at least, it's been the best Disney Star Wars product and story they have put out so far.  It gives me renewed optimism for the other announced series, for sure. 

Really liked Temuera in this. Infinitely more than him in the PT. He looked fucking terrifying with his bald head in the black robes with his war club. He bought some Maori ferocity to those fight scenes. The weapon he was using is very similar in function to a traditional Maori weapon called a Taiaha which is essentially a staff with a spear head at one end and a club at the other made out of a solid peice of wood, usually from the Kauri tree which is super hard timber. Anyway, Temuera was welding his club as Boba like a Maori warrior and looked as though he relished every moment. It was a joy to see.

I still disagree. Your point about Satanic music seems fair at first but I'd hope the music isnt literal in its wanting to have people murder? Id hope. And if not Id think maybe don't support people who actually want others to commit murder? Is that crazy?

As far as Star Wars I would say if people don't believe in the lessons of it then yes they aren't true fans and they dont "get" it. Its like people who claim to be Christians but then are also members of the KKK or other similar groups. They can claim to be Christian, they can even go to Church every week. But buddy they ain't Christians. 

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

Well if you get something out of this, then awesome.  I just meant I didn't want to cause any strife around here. 

It's a good topic for discussion, I think.   Maybe it derailed things a bit and it could have had it's own thread but who knew it would go on so long, lol.

The only strife I saw was not from you but the defense of fake outrage and people looking for trouble.  Shit's depressing.   I'm pretty surprised but not surprised by that.  

Here is the real fact of the matter. Once this guy, or anyone else, decides to make their opinion public in this kind of way. Willfully posting it in a very public forum. Its not like he was secretly recorded and then someone else posted it. Once you do this you open it up for others to have an opinion on your opinion and reaction. Even employees of Lucasfilm. If this guy watched the show at home and shed some tears when Luke showed up and didnt decide he had to make and post a video of it then guess what?  No one would be criticizing his reaction. Because no one would know. Once he chose to put it out there he has to be ok with the others criticizing him.

Its like the episode of South Park where PC Principal makes Butters edit out all the negative comments from Cartman and celebrities social media.

12 minutes ago, The Choc said:

Once you do this you open it up for others to have an opinion on your opinion and reaction. Even employees of Lucasfilm.

You’re right that the Youtuber leaves themselves open, but as Zathras said at the start, Lucasfilm employees shouldn’t really be engaging in it publicly - particularly if you’re making fun of them, as light hearted as it is. That’s basic employment 101. It’s even worse when you know your “customers” are prone to flying off the deep end at the littlest of things. 

I think it’s an overreaction on both sides honestly - but it looks worse on Pablo than it does the Youtuber. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.