Disney Investor News Dump

The Choc

I said there are exceptions to every rule. A Star Wars fan expecting to have an emotional reaction to the climax of the season and recording it I would say is stupid. A kid actually trying something new and legit having no idea how he is going to react is different. Id have no interest in it but I wouldnt say that is stupid.

4 hours ago, The Choc said:

I said there are exceptions to every rule. A Star Wars fan expecting to have an emotional reaction to the climax of the season and recording it I would say is stupid. A kid actually trying something new and legit having no idea how he is going to react is different. Id have no interest in it but I wouldnt say that is stupid.

Either way, it's dramatized and exaggerated at least, and rehearsed and staged at worst. 

15 hours ago, Tank said:

I have a one dude I love to watch. He's a young black dude who grew up with hip hop and he takes suggestions on alt and metal songs. There's something anthropological about watching it, it';s like he is discovering the dead sea scrolls and genuinely loves most of the music he discovers. Rage Against the Machine and Metallica both blew his mind. Recently he reacted to Dolly Parton's Jolene. I love his videos. I love that somebody young and raised in a very precise culture is discovering things from fellow humans. It's heartening.

I guess I’m too cynical but I also think this genre is fake.

I think I’ve seen that guy - there are a few of these “black guy listens to —- for the first time” channels. 
For one thing, they always love the “white” music they hear. But what bothers me more is the sort of mild racism associated with it. It’s all built on this premise that black people are so insular they’ve never even heard of Queen/Dolly Parton/AC-DC/etc.  before. And to a lesser extent there is the notion that black people are the arbiters of cool and this guy liking ABBA makes it okay for your white ass to like it.

Not saying these videos are the worst thing in our society, but they may be subversively contributing to some of the issues we’ve been trying to confront this past year. 

16 hours ago, The Choc said:

11 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Either way, it's dramatized and exaggerated at least, and rehearsed and staged at worst. 

Oh I have no doubt that youtubers that get emotional are exaggerating their reactions.   However, there has to be some level of excitement on their part, and they are catering to their audience.  I am sure many of their audience members ARE that emotional about Star Wars, namely Luke at the end of Mando season 2.  In fact, there are members here that said it was an emotional even for them personally.  

Most of us here are over 30, if not over 40.  We have to remember many of the fans that are emotional are younger people, or people who are watching Star Wars for escapist reasons, because their lives might be very stressful due to the events of 2020, or otherwise. 

Long story short, that Star Wars Theory guy is just expressing (exaggerated or not) how many people are reacting or feel. It's not hurting anyone, so no reason to jump their shit.

35 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Oh I have no doubt that youtubers that get emotional are exaggerating their reactions.   However, there has to be some level of excitement on their part, and they are catering to their audience.  I am sure many of their audience members ARE that emotional about Star Wars, namely Luke at the end of Mando season 2.  In fact, there are members here that said it was an emotional even for them personally.  

Most of us here are over 30, if not over 40.  We have to remember many of the fans that are emotional are younger people, or people who are watching Star Wars for escapist reasons, because their lives might be very stressful due to the events of 2020, or otherwise. 

Long story short, that Star Wars Theory guy is just expressing (exaggerated or not) how many people are reacting or feel. It's not hurting anyone, so no reason to jump their shit.

I think the emotional connection goes without saying.   We all know that.  C'mon, this is Nightly!   Many of us have spent decades here solely because of our love and obsession.  That's authentic.  Nobody's hurting anyone but fake screaming at your monitor and bouncing into the air is transparent and fake.  

If there is one thing Star Wars needs its brand recognition and publicity.

I definitely feel there is an element of racism to the genre of this that has young black people listening to older, mostly white music. Its almost like "these dumb so and sos are so used to this garbage so and so music but once they hear good old Phil Collins they realize our music is superior to their jungle music"

3 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

The youtubers fake outrage of the tweet is far worse. 

I can't speak to that because I haven't seen any.  But Pablo Hidalgo has a long track record of being a dick, and he deserves whatever comes his way.  It is odd an exec would speak directly about a youtuber. I don't know much about Star Wars theory other than he made a fan film a year or 2 ago that was (for a fan film), not bad.  Youtube is a weird space, where there is an echo chamber and speaking to the choir.  I'll agree on that.  But Disney execs putting the proverbial foot in mouth, when Disney is trying to repair the rift the ST caused, is just dumb.  

14 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I know nothing about Pablo but the tweet itself was just paraphrasing line of dialogue. His name rings a bell but I don't remember anything about him.  Maybe he's a douche but theory boy's fake outrage is more douchey in this isolated incident. 

I'm not saying youtubers can't be douchey.  Most of them are, quite frankly, which is why I don't watch.  And this is what some of them do: fake outrage to get subscribers.  But, to me, it is far worse for a Disney employee to shit on them publicly.  It's not his place, and really, why would he bother with it in the first place?  Just lame. 

19 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I know nothing about Pablo but the tweet itself was just paraphrasing line of dialogue. His name rings a bell but I don't remember anything about him.  Maybe he's a douche but theory boy's fake outrage is more douchey in this isolated incident. 

Someone punching down is always going to be worse. In this case, because of his job, and the topic, he was speaking for Lucasfilm. So LFL decided to insult a fan, which is bad form, no matter how annoying the fan is. If the guy was harassing someone or something that would be different. This guy is just an annoying fan.

20 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Why even ask this.   You know this isn't the case.  And you know I know.  

Because I’m legitimately confused.  I don’t understand your stance, and you keep coming back to it not being wrong because it’s paraphrasing a quote.

29 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

There's nothing negative that was said.  Pretty simple stance, which is to call out outrage where it should not exist. 

Okay, that makes more sense than repeatedly saying it’s a quote.

I’m biased against Pablo, and I’ll admit it. The guy it like if Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons came to life and was given a huge job. Based on past behavior, there’s no question in my mind that Pablo meant to insult the YouTube guy. But I really just wanted to understand your stance.

This whole thing is basically two horrible people fighting over who is worse, and I can only hope that somehow they’ll both learn from it. But this is America in the 21st century, so that won’t happen.

Here is the frustrating thing for myself and I'd guess someone like Pablo. And I'll preface it by saying what I am talking about is a small subset within a subset of fans. The worst fans have gotten what they want. The misogynistic, racist and just flat out vitriolic terrible part of fandom. The part who harrassed Kelly Marie Tran. A scene like this with Luke is what they wanted. And again Im not saying that everyone who loved the scene is like that, in fact its a small percentage. But still that small percentage of people who are terrible have gotten their way. And those people don't deserve to get 1 second of enjoyment out of Star Wars.

And Im thinking Pablo knows this. He knows a lot of the YouTubers crying now are the ones who were terrible. And I have no idea of this particular YouTube guys fits this description. But I bet Pablo had just had enough of seeing people, some of whom you can be sure are part of toxic fandom, exulting onlne. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.