Disney Investor News Dump

The Choc

This is the problem with the whole connected universe thing. Eventually it will in some ways fall apart. Especially considering that Star Wars was written over the course of 4 decades and out of order by different people. You will have concerns like you are saying and then we will get stupid little tedious explanations to try to make things connect. 

I think we just have to try to look at each story as a story on it's own as much as possible. Its why I don't care who Snoke is in the ST. I know Tank has said that since its in the middle of the story it warrants some explanation. I just try to look at the ST as it's own thing with the OT as almost an untold backstory, like how the Clone Wars had been an untold backstory for the OT.

If the character motivations work inside of the Obi Wan series and it's good and entertaining then Im ok if it takes away from a line or two of dialogue.

There is as much there to indicate they did meet again or had a rematch so it’s not a retcon. 

So far Lucasfilm/Disney have been more consistent with their own continuity than before so I’m sure they’ll make it feel natural and without undermining anything. And if they do just to give us a really bad ass scene then that’s fine, because that’s exactly what Star Wars is about. 

Here is a question: Disney announced all of this and then even another show with the Boba Fett thing. We haven't heard too many fans complaining about over saturation, at least I haven't I could be wrong I suppose. However we all know that if Disney had announced 13 movies in the space of 10 days or whatever that is basically all youd be reading about. Why is alot of tv shows ok but alot of movies not ok? I mean really a tv show is more content than a movie. A season of a tv show even one with shorter episodes is gonna be 5 hours or so compared to 2 or so for a movie. Is it just because we don't have to pay for every single tv show? Is it just that movies are held to a different standard? 

Or maybe it’s a third option: we’ve all just given up. I wouldn’t be the first one here complaining, but when I read the list the over-saturation thing did cross my mind and then a moment later it was “meh, that’s how it is now - what’re you gonna do?”

But really, I don’t think it ever had to do with the price of the movie tickets, it was the idea (or fear) that the quality gets watered down if the quantity goes up. But maybe we’ve all realized through our maturity that when the quantity of Star Wats was low, the quality was often pretty suspect anyway. So now more choice = more chances of something good. And if The Mandalorian becomes the blueprint for future shows, it’s a good sign, even you don’t think the show is perfect. 

4 hours ago, The Choc said:

Here is a question: Disney announced all of this and then even another show with the Boba Fett thing. We haven't heard too many fans complaining about over saturation, at least I haven't I could be wrong I suppose. However we all know that if Disney had announced 13 movies in the space of 10 days or whatever that is basically all youd be reading about. Why is alot of tv shows ok but alot of movies not ok? I mean really a tv show is more content than a movie. A season of a tv show even one with shorter episodes is gonna be 5 hours or so compared to 2 or so for a movie. Is it just because we don't have to pay for every single tv show? Is it just that movies are held to a different standard? 

On average, the TV shows have already been significantly better on almost all fronts than the movies. So maybe we're just happy to be getting more of the good stuff. 

I think it’s quality. People look for things to complain about when they are pissed. The ST in general divided the fan base and was ultimately so-so. Two seasons of Mando have kind of crushed it and brought about a lot of goodwill. Fans are fickle. They like what Disney+ has offered so they are in.

Exactly.  I mean they always say youtubers are all bitter about the ST. Which I guess is true for a lot of them.  But taking the time to slam one, just says more about Pablo Hidalgo, than the guy who got emotional over Luke appearing in Mando.  I mean I didn't get emotional by any means, other than feeling that was way awesome.  But when someone posts a video being emotional, isn't that GOOD PR for Disney?  Why would you make fun of the guy?

I think Pablo didn't believe it was true and thought he had already watched it, watched it again and then made the video and acted out the crying. I haven;t watched it so I really have no idea if that is true but I think thats why Pablo originally commented. 

5 minutes ago, The Choc said:

I think Pablo didn't believe it was true and thought he had already watched it, watched it again and then made the video and acted out the crying. I haven;t watched it so I really have no idea if that is true but I think thats why Pablo originally commented. 

I didn't watch the original video either, but like you were saying, that should be beneath an Exec to even comment on.  Even if it was a fake cry, it was good PR for Disney because a lot of people did get emotional.  

4 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

I think it’s a bit overblown but if they get rid of him for it then fine with that, or at least demoted. He is so bloody arrogant over something you probably shouldn’t be. 

It could be, but at the same time, Disney and LFL employees shouldn't even bother commenting on youtubers.  Their argument is they are fanbabies that are irrelevant anyway, so why bother commenting.  

I am also not into cancel culture, and I don't necessarily think Pablo H needs to lose his job over this.  It's just freaking tacky, and lends credence to people who say Disney has a lot of DBs working for them.  In PH's case, it's true and he confirmed it himself.

I've watched dozens of reaction videos to Luke's appearance. I like seeing people get emotional since I'm too jaded to. Do I think it's weird to see people get that torn up about it? Maybe a little-- but in 2020, people are allowed to take joy where they can get it.

My feelings on fandom walk a fine line between getting it, and finding it cringy. As a fan I roll my eyes, as a creator, I'd take it as a supreme victory. Either way, I don't gp publicly shitting on people for having opinions.

Unless it's on nightly.

I agree with you on that, Tank.  Some people get overly emotional (maybe something I wouldn't personally do, and understand why some people would find it a bit too much), but you know what, you hit the nail on the head.  Freaking 2020.  It's been a shit year, and what is wrong with finding a little bit of joy in a fucked up year? I know it might be hokey for some, but for me, Star Trek and Star Wars are 2 franchises that have been with me since I could remember.  I'm not a sports fan, so those are sort of like my sports teams. I mean some people cry over sports teams, soap operas, music artists, or other things people are fans of.  Not that I would get overly emotional, but for some people, they express what they feel differently than me, and I get that.  Nothing wrong in my book.  Yet, somehow, according to Pablo, it's not OK to get emotional over Star Wars?  To me, that means a creative hit a home run, if it that elicits an emotional attitude.  It would be like an actor getting a standing ovation. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

I've watched dozens of reaction videos to Luke's appearance. I like seeing people get emotional since I'm too jaded to. Do I think it's weird to see people get that torn up about it? Maybe a little-- but in 2020, people are allowed to take joy where they can get it.

My feelings on fandom walk a fine line between getting it, and finding it cringy. As a fan I roll my eyes, as a creator, I'd take it as a supreme victory. Either way, I don't gp publicly shitting on people for having opinions.

Unless it's on nightly.

Yeah, I just roll my eyes.

I know very little about both the general and specifics of this particular situation and I certainly don't care to find out any more about it. Yet I am forced to admit I side with the hobbyist amateur against the corporate employee, on principle alone.

The substance of what was said or done by either side is immaterial to that determination. The nature of their respective 'job' is what matters to me. (This is not 'The customer is always right'. It's more like 'the evil thing dedicated to killing us all is wrong and so each and every one among its many and possibly individually blameless servitors are always wrong too'.)

Complicating factors :

* I suppose I must admit to a small amount of affection for Pablo Hidalgo, Abel G. Peña, all those dumb dumbs writ large, anyone who manages to somehow jiu-jitsu themselves into a position where they can alter the official substance of their childhood obsessions but in a fashion so remote from popular consciousness that it can only matter to them and similar nerd fanatics.  

* The guy, the YouTube guy, kind of seem likes a lunkhead? He didn't like my favourite one of the new Star Wars but DID like this new season of Star Wars TV? Well, chacun à son goût, sure, but we disagree on that! We disagree on which of those two specific things is better than the other.

* It's not nice to tell someone to cry more. Cryring bad! Offer them a tissue instead.

* This happened on Twitter, a technology platform designed for the purpose of allowing children and the elderly to both give and receive brain damage to themselves at all hours of the day, and so everyone involved is equally guilty. Participants = guilty! Spectators = guilty! I'm guilty just for talking about it here, too.

These types of reaction videos are fake.  It's staged.  If they plan on being in a video, they're going to dramatize it and ham it up.

The only one I've seen lately is some guy screaming at the top of his lungs and pumping his fists, bouncing around his living room.  He deserves everything coming to him.   Corporate Important Man or not, lay into these people.....hard.  Maybe they'll finally stop posting this goofy shit. 

You're wrong. There are people making livings on youtube doing reaction videos. Like, legit, real money livings. That means there is an audience for it. My kid prefers YouTube over TV. Most of his friends do as well. 

Also, obviously some people are over hyped, but a lot of these reactions are legit. I have a one dude I love to watch. He's a young black dude who grew up with hip hop and he takes suggestions on alt and metal songs. There's something anthropological about watching it, it';s like he is discovering the dead sea scrolls and genuinely loves most of the music he discovers. Rage Against the Machine and Metallica both blew his mind. Recently he reacted to Dolly Parton's Jolene. I love his videos. I love that somebody young and raised in a very precise culture is discovering things from fellow humans. It's heartening.

You said no one cares, and now you’re saying it’s stupid. You don’t have to like, but it’s a legit thing.

But I get it. I hate sports and think watching people have emotional reactions to them are idiotic— but I have to recognize I’m the minority on that one. I’m not passing judgement on sports fans, but they can like what the like and I can’t act like it’s not legit to them just because I don’t like it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.